Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• svioleta
    svioleta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    my husband " you don't need to lose any more weight, you'll just get jiggly from all the left over skin".
    ummm no that's why I'm exercising to building muscle and not just dieting.

my friend: so what diet or dietary supplement are you taking?
    me: none I'm exercising and eating healthy/counting calories.
    my friend: Oh wow! Really??
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Honestly, I'm eating more now that I have started counting calories than I was before. I don't feel hungry all the time or deprived. So I don't understand the "starving oneself" mentality. Yes, I splurge every once in a while and that's just fine but it doesn't mean I "gave up" on my diet either. Blarrgh.
  • mixedcurls826
    Options
    "You're on a diet? Wait, does that mean you can't eat anything? That suckss!"

It's MY diet, do I tel YOU what to eat?!?
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Me: I lost 6 pounds

DBF: From where????
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    "I tried logging my calories for a day. its just way too time consuming."
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    How about "how can you afford that eating healthy is so expensive I cant do it"

Hubs tried to tell me it was cheaper to eat out... yeah when we did that we spent $20/day... now it's $40/2weeks
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    Why? Your not that big! After showing some progress "don't lose no more! You dont want to get too skinny. Background, started at 209 currently at 160.

they dont want you to succeed. show them up.
  • k80king
    k80king Posts: 1
    Options
    "You're tall, you can carry that weight" I am tired of carring all that weight.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    How about "how can you afford that eating healthy is so expensive I cant do it"

Hubs tried to tell me it was cheaper to eat out... yeah when we did that we spent $20/day... now it's $40/2weeks

^That so much.

And now that we're cooking/measuring stuff, we're saving even more than the packaged crap. It's amazing how much longer a box of pasta can go when you do servings.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    "Don't you think you have done enough? You really don't need to lose any more."

We had our family over this weekend and I heard this. Yes I went from 340's to the 250's, but I'm still not where I want to be.

For the record I don't have a weight goal per se, I have a "can I shop at mall stores/non-big mens departments" goal. I have this goal because I haven't been able to since 13/14. Health wise my doctor said I've been doing good and to keep going not "get to 180 lbs". He especially didn't say "get to where your family thinks you should stop and then eff it". :laugh:
  • Elohvey
    Elohvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    me: eating all of my food
    someone else: "You should not eat all of that if you are on a diet"
    me: "I'm not gonna just waste this food"

now i've fixed it...
    me: packing up food for later
    someone else: "What are you doing? Aren't you going to throw that away if you're on a diet?"
    me: "I'm giving it to my dog"
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes!!!!
    Or the same thing about being a vegetarian!!!!
    not sure if its stupid, but it was frustrating to hear:

"you'd think the weight would be just dropping off with all this running you're doing"
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    If you're dieting you need to drink lots of Guinness to build you up.

Oyyyy.
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    You're so little! Why are you eating all this healthy food? Here, have this chocolate muffin, we need to fatten you up.

What am I, some sort of livestock waiting to be butchered? No, I WANT TO BE HEALTHY. -__-
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Stupid Question: "Have you lost weight?"
    My answer: "Well, I mave have I am trying"
    Stupid comment: " I can see it in your face that you've lost weight"
    My Response: "Thank you, but that is not where I was really tying to lose the 5 pounds that came off":huh:
  • AandJsMommy
    AandJsMommy Posts: 314
    Options
    My mom: here have some of this chocolate candy, me: I don't want any, I am trying to lose weight. My Mom: why? Me: cause my big butt needs too!!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Huh I guess I'm either lucky or really really look like I need to lose weight, because people never really say that I'm getting too skinny (then again I don't live in the US and like 70% of women here are skinnier than me by about 40 pounds)

Normally I get stupidly incorrect information, like oh, you should/shouldn't eat x, it's good/bad for you.

Thanks, but I've lost these first 40 pounds because I know what I'm doing.
  • GeneaSwan
    GeneaSwan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's.... appalling. Is he supportive in other ways? Because this seems subversive:(
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Oh this one killed me... my boyfriend's coworker said this to me because I only wanted half a cookie instead of a whole cookie...

"Why are you dieting? You're not that fat."

THAT fat... I'm just now starting to see myself as "not fat" and then I get smacked with "not THAT fat"
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Dude my mother in law just sent me an email saying we're having tacos