Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• kjm31
    kjm31 Posts: 5
    Options
    Worst things I ever heard were doozies (and both by the same person who was a certified personal trainer!)

"Do you know why bad things have happened to you and you gained weight? It's because you must have been a bad person in a previous life. "

"If you really want to lose weight, here's what you do. Every day, eat 2 cups of brown rice, 1 cup of carrot juice, and 2 cups of milk... and *that's all you should eat*."
  • soymilkcoffee
    soymilkcoffee Posts: 171
    Options
    "Lose weight? What are you, a size 0?"

tumblr_m3on4rzv1L1rn6ys0.gif
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "Better be careful." I hate this line.. I mean, seriously... how can I be careless in losing fat when it comes to my health. It's offending to me because I did my research for eating healthy and exercise, and even planned it all out nicely! No excess of dieting or starving, and no excess or little exercises.

I get this all the time from hubby when I'm exercising more then a few days in a row or I tell him I'm going to increase my workout time.

My kids will say "how much longer do we have to eat this crap" <---crap is baked chicken, fresh steamed veggies, homemade mashed potatoes (not instant)

Are you KIDDING me? I'd let them starve and fend for themselves for a week and see how much they appreciate the hard work you guys go through to buy and prepare this food then. That is ridiculous. You must have the patience of a god to put up with that bs.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Worst things I ever heard were doozies (and both by the same person who was a certified personal trainer!)

"Do you know why bad things have happened to you and you gained weight? It's because you must have been a bad person in a previous life. "

"If you really want to lose weight, here's what you do. Every day, eat 2 cups of brown rice, 1 cup of carrot juice, and 2 cups of milk... and *that's all you should eat*."

WTF previous life? I had a doctor once who wouldnt help me with an ailment because she believed it would resolve in my next life.
  • 0622cameron
    0622cameron Posts: 49
    Options
    "what? seriously, order something other than salad, I don't want to be eating real food alone!" <-- salad is food. for ****s sake.
    "Oh, I forgot, you're on a diet." <-- in public. I'm not on a diet. i just decided that I don't want a heart attack + diabetees at age 50.
    "You weight train? Oh, I don't do that because then I'll have to stick to it. Besides, I don't want to get bulky!" <-- try ONCE nad then talk.
    "Look, it's fat free! It must be healthy." <--- while pointing at a hydrogenated mutant colorful "edible" product at the supermarket
    "eat this. I will get sad if you don;t/ I spent so long preparing it." <--- you spent so long melting 3 tubs of butter and sugar in a pan.

The oh I forgot you're on a diet, I hear that all of the time especially from people @ work. So tired of hearing it!!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    After I've lost a bit a weight since the last time I've seen them, "OMG, where did it gooooo?" Um...I don't know. It went away, which is all I care about. Do they think I took up magic since I've seen them? :grumble:
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How about "how can you afford that eating healthy is so expensive I cant do it"

^^ this

Also, DW and I have gotten a TON of skepticism for our changes to a mostly-vegan diet. Mostly from my family--until they tasted my cooking now. I don't think that I have had them try anything that they didn't like. We have been doing it long enough now that people are starting to notice that we have more energy and are generally happier and healthier. We have a long road ahead of us but even with "just" 40 pounds or so gone we are feeling better than we ever have.

Another thing that we keep hearing people say is something to the effect of "My weight is just a number and that doesn't determine who I am." While I think that is a great sentiment for self confidence, I don't think that it should be used to justify your lack of ability to do ANYTHING physical or your seeming need to fill your gaping maw with anything, ANYTHING (!?) that comes to hand--so long as it isn't a vegetable or unprocessed.
  • 9Catherine9
    Options
    Here we go again. :laugh: :noway:
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    After I've lost a bit a weight since the last time I've seen them, "OMG, where did it gooooo?" Um...I don't know. It went away, which is all I care about. Do they think I took up magic since I've seen them? :grumble:

Down the toilet... :D
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "Wouldn't it be easier just to have liposuction?"

No really, someone said this to me...

it would be "easier" but cost a zillon dollars more.. and doesnt teach you to do it right, you regain and have to do it again.. I think i may have slapped them

Believe me, you're doing it the right way. My mom got lipo, but now she's struggling to keep the body she got from it. It goes a little like this: "Oh I'll just have half a side salad for dinner. That way I can have some dessert!" or "I ate too much today, I'm not eating dinner tonight."
    And then she sees me calorie counting and working out and tells me that's no way to live... Makes me want to punch a freaking wall :explode:
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This morning at work, drinking my protein shake and eating a banana, I hear "Ewwwww!! That is so gross!! No,thanks...I'll stick to my Dunkin Donuts coffee and poptart!"

I didn't offer my food and don't complain "I WISH I was under 200 lbs!!" Well then,do it with me!!
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Here, let me tell you how to be healthy. I walk 1/4 mile a day, eat right, take my vitamins and I'm healthy as a horse.

(My MIL, when she comes home from work she opens up a giant bag of reeses/snickers/kit kats/candied peanuts/3 musketeers and eats the whole thing before she goes to sleep)

healthy as or weighs as much as(sorry that was mean.. people kill me!). her bed time snack made me gag a bit
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    "Wouldn't it be easier just to have liposuction?"

No really, someone said this to me...

it would be "easier" but cost a zillon dollars more.. and doesnt teach you to do it right, you regain and have to do it again.. I think i may have slapped them

Believe me, you're doing it the right way. My mom got lipo, but now she's struggling to keep the body she got from it. It goes a little like this: "Oh I'll just have half a side salad for dinner. That way I can have some dessert!" or "I ate too much today, I'm not eating dinner tonight."
    And then she sees me calorie counting and working out and tells me that's no way to live... Makes me want to punch a freaking wall :explode:

My MIL got a gastric bypass and then went on WW like 10 years ago... so now she thinks she's an expert but her hoarded stash of Hersheys and 250 pounds says otherwise
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Down the toilet... :D

That can't be good for the plumbing in my house. I should just say, "under my bed, that's where everything else goes!" :laugh:
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a nutritionist, dietition, bariatric MD and a physical trainer once they find out you're dieting. But the advice is usually to tell you that what you are doing is wrong. :huh:

^THIS. OH, YES! THIS!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    How about "how can you afford that eating healthy is so expensive I cant do it"

because a heart attack is a lot more expensive.

^^^^^ I'm married, so don't take this the wrong way, but I think I love you. This response is going to get a lot of mileage, thank you!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I get sick a lot from stress, idk why but I tend to throw up when Im stressed, so if someone knows I did or vessels in my face are broken I get accused of being bulimic, really really often, or if I skip a meal its because Im becoming anorexic
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You are already so beautiful..... looks were never my issue when I let my self get up to my highest weight. lol aye
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    oh you're on a diet? eating healthy?

i'll just flaunt these cookies, doughnuts and other delicious thing in front of you, oh.. do you want some?