Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    How about "how can you afford that eating healthy is so expensive I cant do it"

because a heart attack is a lot more expensive.

^^^^^ I'm married, so don't take this the wrong way, but I think I love you. This response is going to get a lot of mileage, thank you!

It's the truth, and no offense taken. There are a lot of things people choose to be ignorant of. health is the one i simply cant abide ignorance in.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OMG... you are soooo funny, I really did Laugh Out Loud! very nearly cried!
    Pamela
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    "We're having lunch together tomorrow. Make sure you can eat something." (My boss trying to be nice by treating me to lunch at one of her restaurants. ) Granted, I usually eat before I work over there because they always try to feed me, so her comment isn't that bad!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    "Better be careful." I hate this line.. I mean, seriously... how can I be careless in losing fat when it comes to my health. It's offending to me because I did my research for eating healthy and exercise, and even planned it all out nicely! No excess of dieting or starving, and no excess or little exercises.

I get this all the time from hubby when I'm exercising more then a few days in a row or I tell him I'm going to increase my workout time.

My kids will say "how much longer do we have to eat this crap" <---crap is baked chicken, fresh steamed veggies, homemade mashed potatoes (not instant)

Are you KIDDING me? I'd let them starve and fend for themselves for a week and see how much they appreciate the hard work you guys go through to buy and prepare this food then. That is ridiculous. You must have the patience of a god to put up with that bs.

Yep I'm a horrible mom. I actually prep my meals 2 weeks at a time and it takes hours to do it. But it saves me money, and time when I get home in the evenings. I get up an hour and a half early to fix them breakfast and pack their lunches. These are not small children mind you but 4 nearly grown teenagers. The oldest 2 are the worst. Never say thank you and complain that they have to eat "crap" just because I need to lose weight. I love them and pray they find good wives. lol
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "Oh, I want to lose weight too" (friend that weighs 125 lbs)
    "I like curvy girls and you're really curvy" ... that's not a compliment.
    "You can't eat that" I can in moderation Jacka**

I weight 125 lbs and that is overweight for me, so that first statement really doesn't mean much to me unless you include that friend's height...........

She is in good, healthy condition. To be 125 and be overweight, your fat mass would have to be very high compared to your muscle mass. BMI is not a good measure of one's obesity/how overweight they are so height doesn't really play into it. At 125 she has no reason to be losing weight. As was implied in the original comment.

Just asking because being 4'11", no one ever wants to take my height into consideration. When I say I weigh 125 and want to lose more, my tall friends always say crap like "What?! I weigh like 40 lbs more than you! Why do you want to lose weight??"

Um, because 125 lbs on 4'11" is NOT the same as 125 lbs on 5'6"
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "oh, you shouldn't have potatoes or Little Debbies or breads. If you cut all that out then you'll be fine!" This from the person who is diabetic, obese and eats these items constantly! Of course, this is the same person who (VERY loudly) pointed out "you've bout gained all your weight back ain't ya?" When I put back on the weight I lost ~ 8 years ago! And it is a woman - you'd think she could be more sensitive, or at least not a bull-horn volumes!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    "you better not order salad" - I happen to like them a lot, thanks

me: "I'm ordering fries today" friend: *claps hands* "I'm so proud of you" -___- really?

"is that all you're eating?" me: no! *stop watching my plate, thanks*

I am notoriously picky anyway, so losing weight makes people watch you harder. They assume your picky habits come from the new change, but for me it doesn't :)
  • C_June
    Options
    "Better be careful." I hate this line.. I mean, seriously... how can I be careless in losing fat when it comes to my health. It's offending to me because I did my research for eating healthy and exercise, and even planned it all out nicely! No excess of dieting or starving, and no excess or little exercises.

I get this all the time from hubby when I'm exercising more then a few days in a row or I tell him I'm going to increase my workout time.

My kids will say "how much longer do we have to eat this crap" <---crap is baked chicken, fresh steamed veggies, homemade mashed potatoes (not instant)

Are you KIDDING me? I'd let them starve and fend for themselves for a week and see how much they appreciate the hard work you guys go through to buy and prepare this food then. That is ridiculous. You must have the patience of a god to put up with that bs.

this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Or the ever present "have you tried the kiwi and cumquat diet? It says you can lose that 20 pounds in .000034 nanoseconds and it's only $129.95 a week!"

OMG you are sooo funny... i truly did Laugh Out Loud, very nearly cried...
    Pamela
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    "We're having lunch together tomorrow. Make sure you can eat something." (My boss trying to be nice by treating me to lunch at one of her restaurants. ) Granted, I usually eat before I work over there because they always try to feed me, so her comment isn't that bad!

No, this isn't so bad! I wish more people would say this instead of just forcing random crap in my face.
  • C_June
    Options
    "Oh you can have chocolate, you're skinny now!"

NO NO NO NO NO! I'm slim BECAUSE I don't eat much chocolate!

dark chocolate (70% or above) s delicious and heart healthy! its a healthy fat too!
  • MissManicPanic
    MissManicPanic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh you're not fat you're beautiful the way you are. Yeah cause being with me makes you feel pretty cause I'm your fat friend.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Yep I'm a horrible mom. I actually prep my meals 2 weeks at a time and it takes hours to do it. But it saves me money, and time when I get home in the evenings. I get up an hour and a half early to fix them breakfast and pack their lunches. These are not small children mind you but 4 nearly grown teenagers. The oldest 2 are the worst. Never say thank you and complain that they have to eat "crap" just because I need to lose weight. I love them and pray they find good wives. lol

Omg, you need to hand your kids over to my mother for a few days. That's all it'll take for them to appreciate what they have!

Not saying my mom's bad, but let's just say there's a reason I learned to cook myself breakfast by age 12!
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to count calories? If you just eat a little of everything you should lose weight.

This isn't really the same thing but a big pet peeve of mine is people saying that they eat healthy that don't. I know it isn't their fault if they don't know what healthy is, but I wish these people would track their calories and/or their macros :).
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    "lol can't have you getting skinnier than me"
    "can you like not work out tonight for once"
    "I want the old you back" sorry, the old me was unhealthy.
  • C_June
    Options
    "Oh, I want to lose weight too" (friend that weighs 125 lbs)
    "I like curvy girls and you're really curvy" ... that's not a compliment.
    "You can't eat that" I can in moderation Jacka**

I weight 125 lbs and that is overweight for me, so that first statement really doesn't mean much to me unless you include that friend's height...........

She is in good, healthy condition. To be 125 and be overweight, your fat mass would have to be very high compared to your muscle mass. BMI is not a good measure of one's obesity/how overweight they are so height doesn't really play into it. At 125 she has no reason to be losing weight. As was implied in the original comment.

Just asking because being 4'11", no one ever wants to take my height into consideration. When I say I weigh 125 and want to lose more, my tall friends always say crap like "What?! I weigh like 40 lbs more than you! Why do you want to lose weight??"

Um, because 125 lbs on 4'11" is NOT the same as 125 lbs on 5'6"

even on 5'6" that weight looking right is very dependent on bone structure and musculature.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have heard this one about the exercising too!

"Wow, I thought you'd be a twig by now because I know you exercise ALL THE TIME."
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    "You'll gain back all the weight after you get married..."

Ummm.... what?? I lost 80 BEFORE meeting husband, lost another 30 BEFORE we were engaged. What makes you think that having a ceremony and signing a peice of paper is going to cause me to go back to my unhealthy lifestyle??

Gah! Still makes me mad thinking about this and it was said over a year ago... husband and I have been married for 8 months. And I currently weigh just as much now as I did on our wedding day (would be less if I hadn't eaten those darn Girl Scout cookies yesterday -- LOL!).
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.

This is what I'm going to do when I have a baby someday. I'm practicing making all these healthy foods not just for me but for my future husband and children so we may live a healthy life together. Such a difficult concept right? I think getting my boyfriend to eat better is going to be the hardest part, he loves his wings and mozzarella sticks. :laugh:
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I feel like once I put it out there that I'm changing my habits, people try to sabatoge me!! So I haven't told many people they can cheer me on when they see a difference, and I can tell them it works HATERS!