Do you donate blood?

Options
ahjenny
ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
I do! I had to stop for pregnancies, but now I get to donate blood this week. I love knowing that I can help others, especially since my blood type is a little rarer (AB+) and I enjoy the guilt free cranberry juice and cookie. I just got my gallon pin and I'm working on the next gallon. The only drawback for me is when they poke my finger... it seems like that hurts the most.

If you donate, what do you like most and least about it?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I love donating blood. It's something simple that makes a difference. I hate when they put the needle in the arm - I just hate looking at it!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    what i dislike the most is being turned away if my temp is a little high, or my weight or iron a little low.
    i love the little kids with leukemia that get my blood.
    oh and the free snacks are a plus :D
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    frequent donor! i hate when they check my hgb, their lancets really hurt!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I too donate. I wish they would store some away for me personally, my own little stash. I'm O negative and would probably be assed out if I needed some in an emergency...LOL
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have a million scars on my left arm from donating. :)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i've donated blood to the ground does that count?
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do! But they wouldn't take it last time because it hadn't been a year since I got a tattoo :( I agree that its a simple way to give back.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I do, my daughter needed some blood for a surgery since I was not a match I couldn't donate for it, so I decided to donate at the bloodbank. I used to go every 56 days but I had to stop. I go a couple times a year.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, but the homophobic stance of the Canadian Blood Services keeps me from doing so.
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would if I could but I can't since I am anemic I try to hang onto all the blood I can...
  • SLRamirez2012
    SLRamirez2012 Posts: 297
    Options
    I used to, but They denied me one time inbetween my pregnancies because I was anemic, and then I went again about a year later and I passed out at the end... I was obviously still anemic... now I have a tattoo that is less that a year old, so I can't. But my blood type is A-, so on the rare side as well. It never really bothered me.. I thought it was cool... but i am a nerd like that!!!
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wish I could donate blood but they won't take mine because of medications I am on. When I could donate blood though I did.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i used to, but i had cancer and now they won't take it. i got someones blood when i needed it, and would dearly love to give that gift back
  • samiejo4
    samiejo4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes. I feel it is my duty since I am O+
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I donate every couple months, I was a premie when I was born and needed all my blood replaced to be able to survive. So I have been donating blood since I was a teen.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Haven't been able to....

Apparently, there's a one-year waiting period after getting tattooed. At the rate I'm inking, I'll never make the cut :laugh:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'd do it more if they didn't bug me so motherf**king often.

I donated blood and then got bombarded by phone calls and emails for months. Finally I snapped at a guy on the phone one day and they stopped calling...but now I get a million emails asking me to do it again.
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to donate as much as possible, Red Cross tends to call me once a week if I havent donated to them in the past 56 weeks :laugh: I also donate to my school's medical center (University of California, Irvine)

I HATE the finger prick....my favorite part is when my blood is filing the baggie. I usually become giddy because of the change in blood pressure :tongue: and I also just find it fascinating to feel how warm the tube is ...weird I know, but I can't help it

gotta love the juice and snacks after :drinker:
  • french_press
    Options
    I give blood! I'm O- , so they harass me if I dont :) When I give blood I cannot look at the needle when they put it...i hate even thinking about it, ugh....
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I haven't in awhile, but I love doing it! I love the feeling of helping people. The last couple of times I did the double-red cell donation and I was *FREEZING*! The lady even warned me it would be cold, but for me, that was the worst part.