North Carolina Amendment to Ban Gay Marriage, thoughts?

Options
12346»

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe marriage is a spiritual and personal emotional thing. I believe the state has no place in anyone's marriage- straight, gay, monogamous, polyamorous, polygamous, whatever.

What I do think the state should do is allow this sort of agreement under CONTRACT law. Because that's what it is, legally- a contract. Under contract law, two adults can form a contract, and they can consent to get out of that contract. I think this is where the LAW belongs.

As for "marriage"....it *IS* a religious concept for many many people. Not for me, but for many. And for that reason, the government should get out of the business of marriage.
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    Well, the people of N.C. voted and their answer was "NO". Everytime ssm is put to a vote by THE PEOPLE...the answer is ALWAYS the same, a big fat resounding "HELL NO". Welcome to democracy! The majority of voters believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. The only reason it's leagal in a few states is because of activist judges and special interest politicians. VOTERS have always said no to ssm!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A large step backwards.
  • lilladie1213
    Options
    Just shows how far we still have to go!!

If you don't like it, don't do it, but don't dictate what others can/cannot do!!

AMEN!!!!!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    30 other states already had amendments on the books saying the same thing. NC is hardly bucking the trend here.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Well, the people of N.C. voted and their answer was "NO". Everytime ssm is put to a vote by THE PEOPLE...the answer is ALWAYS the same, a big fat resounding "HELL NO". Welcome to democracy! The majority of voters believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. The only reason it's leagal in a few states is because of activist judges and special interest politicians. VOTERS have always said no to ssm!

Well Said!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Ah, democracy...nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's a ridiculous argument to say things like "Well, Biblically, that's how it's defined, so we can't go against that."

The Bible also says that if a man rapes a woman and gets her pregnant, he has to marry her. It also talks for books and books about men in polygamous marriages, and men who impregnate their maids because their wife couldn't get pregnant. Men were also allowed to sell their daughters for a good price, or stone their children publicly for misbehaving. That was all totally kosher according to the Bible, so if we're going to use the Bible to define marriage, we really should use the whole damn thing.

I mean, who doesn't agree that the idea of a man raping a woman and than marrying her is a great idea? Or men having multiple wives is awesome? Who hasn't wanted to stone their rebellious teenager, or sell their daughter when they're a bit strapped for cash? The Bible said it was done, and God obviously didn't mind then. Why not make it all happen?

Oh, right, because it's crap.

North Carolina should secede from the Union, along with Arizona, because they're an embarrassment to the good Christian people I know who actually follow the teachings of Jesus.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    Marriage is a biblical idea. Where else do we get the idea from? I'm glad they banned it.

The fact that it IS a biblical idea is EXACTLY why it should NOT BE IN THE LAW WHATSOEVER.

PERIOD.

Seperation of church and state.

Because some people have other books they get their marriage from- the Koran, the Torah....you know and others have oral traditions.
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    it is a civil rights issue - now there are second class citizens in NC, with all that will apply - in law, and in discrimination (and bullying). The NC ban also impacts hetero couples who are in civil unions, which are also banned. The folks who voted for this want to back in 1959, it seems to me. just sayin'

i live in Iowa, where we value civil rights for every citizen!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ah, democracy...nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

I hear they have openings in Iran if you care to move???
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have a question, If the separation of church and state is so important in this country... why is everyone trying to push for legalizing gay marriages. Marriage is a religious thing, so shouldn't the church be aloud to say no.

I could be mistaken, never looked into marriage, but the only thing that changes, from being a living together situation, is someone's name changes.

Well no, in terms of a legal marriage it is a lot different from just living together. MANY gay couples have a spirutual ceremony in which their freinds and family witness them take vows in front of God, much the same way straight marriages go, but there is also the legal side of obtaining a marriage certificate and having your marriage be legally recognized by the state.

This part of it allows my husband to be on my health insurance, make decisions for me if I were incapacitated in any way, file taxes jointly, etc. People are fighting to legalize gay marriages for this reason....they can go have all of the spriritual ceremonies they want, but until they are legal they will not have any of the rights and benefits that we receive because we are legally married.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

I love you.

p.s. NC used to have a constituitonal ban on interracial marriage too.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Marriage is an institution designed to raise families, yes I know some people can't, but I'm talking about the main reason for the union. In essence, it's not just about who you love, or what kind of sex you have which is what homosexuality breaks down to.

Well, then. I'm assuming all couples (hetero) entering into a civil union (also commonly called "marriage" in error), should sign on the document their intent to bear children (along with medical assurance of fertility).

Thank goodness the government is here to make sure we are adhering to all these things.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the people saying "they voted, let it be." In the 60's, the majority of people were opposed to the civil rights movement especially in the south. I guess we should've just listened to the populous then too right?
This discussion has been closed.