Cardio vs. Strength training results (pic)

Options

Replies

• Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! Your pics are amazing - not just your body cos it is looking perfect btw - but showing the change and information you have given - days you train, cals you eat and what you lift. I know Im ages away from it but once Ive used cardio to lose a bulk of the weight, this really gives me something to aim for. Thanks again!!

Thank you! Though, like chrisanderson2 said, adding weights now would be even better than waiting. That way the bulk of weight you lose will be fat and you'll look great even sooner! Cardio + weights is always better than cardio alone no matter how much you have left to lose. :) Good luck!
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted, especially to the OP, for without you the other posts would not have occurred. Currently I weigh 242 lbs. and I'm 5'6. I have a figure in my mind of what I'd like to lose, however, I know from younger years I had a very intelligent conversation with a physician and he told me not to go by weight charts. He knew my body structure (at the time very tom-boyish and muscular due to weight lifting and sports I was involved with). He told me if I tried going by the weight charts I would look anorexic and would lose my muscle tone. So with that in mind....I don't have an actual weight goal set persay but rather I'd like to get to a healthy weight, be toned and stronger. I do not have access to a gym for financial reasons and being many miles from one, plus in the warmer months I work 12-14 hour days with possibly a one hour commute on top of that.......so going to a gym is out of the question. I hear alot of people talking about their success with the 5x5 stronglift and NROLFW, and I ask of you........can I do these programs at home? PLEASE FRIEND ME! I would love to know what equipment these programs require before purchasing the books or what equipment I may be able to purchase as a substitute. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted, especially to the OP, for without you the other posts would not have occurred. Currently I weigh 242 lbs. and I'm 5'6. I have a figure in my mind of what I'd like to lose, however, I know from younger years I had a very intelligent conversation with a physician and he told me not to go by weight charts. He knew my body structure (at the time very tom-boyish and muscular due to weight lifting and sports I was involved with). He told me if I tried going by the weight charts I would look anorexic and would lose my muscle tone. So with that in mind....I don't have an actual weight goal set persay but rather I'd like to get to a healthy weight, be toned and stronger. I do not have access to a gym for financial reasons and being many miles from one, plus in the warmer months I work 12-14 hour days with possibly a one hour commute on top of that.......so going to a gym is out of the question. I hear alot of people talking about their success with the 5x5 stronglift and NROLFW, and I ask of you........can I do these programs at home? PLEASE FRIEND ME! I would love to know what equipment these programs require before purchasing the books or what equipment I may be able to purchase as a substitute. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

They would be difficult to do properly at home...both for safety reasons, and the fact that the weights become expensive over time.

Bodyweight strength training can be made to give similar results, if you put enough effort into it...and stick with it. Here's the program I used to lose 40lbs in 3mos (along with eating clean of course):
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

And for the more visual people here's some pictures. Keep in mind these results included ZERO cardio...and could never have been achieved without heavy (5-8 reps to failure) strength training.

7434194_2240.jpg7434194_1237.jpg

7434194_4814.jpg7434194_6530.jpg

7434194_8492.jpg7434194_7770.jpg
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bumping for my evening viewing
  • oviedom81
    oviedom81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow thats my goal
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options

They would be difficult to do properly at home...both for safety reasons, and the fact that the weights become expensive over time.

Bodyweight strength training can be made to give similar results, if you put enough effort into it...and stick with it. Here's the program I used to lose 40lbs in 3mos (along with eating clean of course):
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

And for the more visual people here's some pictures. Keep in mind these results included ZERO cardio...and could never have been achieved without heavy (5-8 reps to failure) strength training.

Wow, your results were awesome, thanks for the feedback, would you mind me adding you as a friend? Just starting out I'm sure I may have questions!
  • Bding123
    Bding123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ahhh soo motivational! I've recently switched from Cardio to strength and the changes in my body are amazing! But seeing your transformation makes me want to keep going. I'm measuring myself as well as weighing myself so I keep up with my motivation!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Wow, your results were awesome, thanks for the feedback, would you mind me adding you as a friend? Just starting out I'm sure I may have questions!

Of course I don't mind! And definitely if you have any questions...feel free to ask.

The one thing about this to remember though, is that you have to put MAXIMUM effort into it. Your results will be directly mirrored by your effort.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational! You look absolutely stunning. You looked great before but now you're so toned and strong looking. I am beginning strength training here soon and this is exactly what I needed to see/read. Thank you for sharing.
  • SaiLex15
    SaiLex15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing job! *sigh* we started the same time (2 days later. March 7!) But.. You look amazing! Strength training it is! I have too. ;(
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    Impressive!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

I agree with everything he said up there. His results are INCREDIBLE too.

As for the weights, being able to go to the gym would be safer and less expensive, but if you absolutely can't, I've heard a lot of people say they can find full weight sets on Craigslist for cheap. I know someone who got a squat rack and around 400 lbs of weight for $300 which is an AMAZING deal. Maybe you can try that out. If you do buy a home one, and can't get a friend to spot you, be sure to have the safety pins/bars set at the proper heights for whatever exercise you are doing. =]
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Wow! Amazing job! *sigh* we started the same time (2 days later. March 7!) But.. You look amazing! Strength training it is! I have too. ;(

You can do it! Plus you look great already so strength training would have amazing results for you! Good luck!
  • JL4987
    JL4987 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
  • JL4987
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! Your pics are amazing - not just your body cos it is looking perfect btw - but showing the change and information you have given - days you train, cals you eat and what you lift. I know Im ages away from it but once Ive used cardio to lose a bulk of the weight, this really gives me something to aim for. Thanks again!!

Thank you! Though, like chrisanderson2 said, adding weights now would be even better than waiting. That way the bulk of weight you lose will be fat and you'll look great even sooner! Cardio + weights is always better than cardio alone no matter how much you have left to lose. :) Good luck!

I dont have the ability to do both at once and Id rather do cardio than strength training for a few more weeks at least especially as the weights I have access to are at home and the room for this is not exactly ideal, the total body bike I use for cardio is much better and is placed at work so I will stick to it more and have the privacy to go for it. I didnt think to include the reasons I wanted to do cardio before strength training.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I dont have the ability to do both at once and Id rather do cardio than strength training for a few more weeks at least especially as the weights I have access to are at home and the room for this is not exactly ideal, the total body bike I use for cardio is much better and is placed at work so I will stick to it more and have the privacy to go for it. I didnt think to include the reasons I wanted to do cardio before strength training.

Strength training doesn't have to involve weights, and is fully capable of being done in your own home with just your body. Additionally, any weights you probably own at home...will most likely not be sufficient even to start.

If you want to do it, there's a way and you will. If not, that's ok...it's up to you.
  • JL4987
    Options

Strength training doesn't have to involve weights, and is fully capable of being done in your own home with just your body. Additionally, any weights you probably own at home...will most likely not be sufficient even to start.

If you want to do it, there's a way and you will. If not, that's ok...it's up to you.
    Actually no, I cant do both at once due to health reasons and I know myself well enough that I cant because Ive been overdoing stuff for months leading to further health concerns. The weights I have at home are a standard cast iron dumbell set with spinlock bars. I feel you are judgemental in your posts and set on pushing your beliefs when they in fact dont fit everyone. I am losing weight, I have changed my life in both diet and exercise and I have appropriate goals for future changes to my routine.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Actually no, I cant do both at once due to health reasons and I know myself well enough that I cant because Ive been overdoing stuff for months leading to further health concerns. The weights I have at home are a standard cast iron dumbell set with spinlock bars. I feel you are judgemental in your posts and set on pushing your beliefs when they in fact dont fit everyone. I am losing weight, I have changed my life in both diet and exercise and I have appropriate goals for future changes to my routine.

Well, I'm glad you've chosen to judge, that I'm judgmental lol. Make a comment in a post specifically about one form of exercise directly compared with another (when you clearly prefer the latter)...and you're going to get that. So sorry you didn't realize this was the internet.

First. The thing that you clearly don't realize, is that strength training is LESS hard on your bodily systems, overall...than cardio, and has far more benifits. If you were to drop one or the other in the short term...since you've been 'overdoing it', I'd recommend the cardio (not that you care what I'd recommend...and I don't care that you don't).

Second. To heavy strength train, your weights at home are likely to be insufficient (and if they aren't now, they will be very soon if you do it right). I don't care what kind of basic barbell set they are. That's why I suggested the bodyweight...which even for me, lasted MONTHS.

Third. Good for you that you've changed your life for the better. That's great! You certainly didn't need to justify it though...because the only person who thought I was pushing anything on you...is you. I made helpful suggestions, based on the information you gave. I explained that you could do both, and how. If you think that's being judgmental and pushy...I don't know how you've survived this long online. All they were was helpful suggestions. I personaly don't care what you do with them beyond that. Because...as I said previously, if you want to do it...you will. If not...that's fine, because it's up to you.

I don't know how much more clear that could be.
  • kelbro1
    kelbro1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look great! Thanks for the motivation!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!