Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What's more important: Weight or Physique?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    The only time weight would have any significance is if one were entering a competition, and wanted to get into a certain class.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    The scale is one of several progress-measuring tools, nothing more.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    For me? Overall fitness. I don't want to be that guy that looks ripped but can't run a mile.

<-- I can go for 70.3 miles and look damn good while doing it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Physique. I look better now at 158lbs than I did 3 years ago at 145lbs.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I just want to feel amazing. I want to be strong and beautiful. I'm working on building my confidence back after years of it in the tank.

I really don't terribly care what the number on the scale is.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Weight definitely. When I grow up I want to be a trapeze artist in the circus and apparently there is a pretty low weight limit.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Health.

Other than that, physique.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    If I had to choose between only those two, I'd say physique, but neither one of those are how I gauge my personal progress. After I had several injuries in one year and had to work to gain back the mobility, flexibility, and stamina that I once took for granted, how my body feels and how well it functions became most important.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Weight for me. As a triathlete, and moreover a long course triathlete, lighter is faster for the most part. That said I don't want to have the typical skinny fat appearance many do so I still lift.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Both.

I'd like to operate at a ligher weight for my activities. I'm noitcably quicker at lighter weights. But I lift at a deficit in order to try to hold as much muscle as possible.

It's easier to try to get rid of 5-10lbs to help you quickness/vertical than it is to try to improve it by training. (although I do both)
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,014 Member
    Physique. Hands down. Scale is nothing but a number.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Weight: Since I have a tattoo of my weight on my forehead (I change it for all fluctuations, including the water weight after a great training session), I get really embarrassed when I have a bigger number than the people that are bigger than me.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Overall health, and then physique.

You can have a great physique... but if you don't have a good handle on your sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc... it doesn't matter.

I guess it comes back to my fitness goal: To be healthy and be around for my kids.

My weight comes in a distant 3rd.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    I used to think weight until i started lifting

Now its all physique....I measure and attempt to ignore the scale

Im starting to be happy with my body
  • jensterx3
    jensterx3 Posts: 21
    neither, it's about health!
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Physique! I weighed 135 lbs about 4 years ago in a size 6. I am 137 lbs now in a size 2/4.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Physique, of course. My "goal weight" is 160 pounds, but I'd like to be 160 pounds and circa 18% bodyfat.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I am striving to change my physique and health. Technically, and visually, I am fine. 153lbs, 5'9". But, my BF% is very high at about 30%. I can only bench 40, and can't even leg press with my right leg b/c my knees are in such bad shape. I feel like having a heart attack after a 4mph walk... I look fine, but my body is absurdly weak.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Health, fitness, physique, weight in that order.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Physique and body composition. Dont care what the scales says just want to get the body fat lower. I had to pick a goal weight where I think the BF and weight loss will match up though.