"Ideal" Body

Options
So, here's my thing. I don't want a super toned/athletic looking body. I want to be a little soft, a little squishy. But...I don't want to be flabby and saggy. It seems like, around here, the options are toned and muscely (ha, not a word...y'all know what I mean) or flabby and saggy, even if you're "thin". I know that I won't necessarily "bulk up" like a man if I do weight training...but I see pics on here of the girls who "lift heavy" and although they look *awesome*, that's not really what I want to look like. It's just my personal preference.

I'm currently doing the 30 day shred and my Navy SEAL buddy has told me to do body weight exercises instead of lifting weights. Any other suggestions? I hope my explanation made sense...and that everyone will be polite when answering :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    "a little soft, a little squishy" - that's body fat. I have this now and I lift heavy. It's all about the body fat %, at least what you're describing here is.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    No tips, but I do know what you mean. I don't want a six pack, but a flat tummy where you can see the definition "lines." I think just having a higher body fat percentage will give you the look you want (within reason of course).
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I want to keep my curves and be tight (not necessarily muscular) just fit looking but still very feminine. I don't want to be skinny or straight like a boy...I'll take Selma Hayak's figure. haha
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    "a little soft, a little squishy" - that's body fat. I have this now and I lift heavy. It's all about the body fat %, at least what you're describing here is.

That makes sense...so would it be more about trying to maintain that BF% once I hit a point that I'm happy with? I guess I'm just concerned that I'll hit a point where I'm sorta happy but want to look a little less flabby and end up overshooting my mark lol. And honestly...the idea of lifting just doesn't appeal to me.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    No tips, but I do know what you mean. I don't want a six pack, but a flat tummy where you can see the definition "lines." I think just having a higher body fat percentage will give you the look you want (within reason of course).

Exactly! I'm glad people understand lol.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    It is impossible to choose where you lose fat from. For me, I lose it first in my boobs and my tummy, but also my butt. Fortunately, I like being toned. In order to get the body you desire, you have to have a certain body type to begin with.
  • JennieAL
    Options

That makes sense...so would it be more about trying to maintain that BF% once I hit a point that I'm happy with? I guess I'm just concerned that I'll hit a point where I'm sorta happy but want to look a little less flabby and end up overshooting my mark lol. And honestly...the idea of lifting just doesn't appeal to me.

Using weights to get there is just more efficient. You could do body weight workouts though, if you don't want to lift. Lifting isn't for men, or for bodybuilders, or health nuts... I am none of those. I lift because it works. It's efficient. And believe me... it is quite easy to maintain body fat. Lol. Your body prefers "maintaining"... it fights for homeostasis. It's MUCH harder to change things.

You have absolutely nothing to fear. I'd kill to drop body fat %, like yesterday.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I want to keep my curves and be tight (not necessarily muscular) just fit looking but still very feminine. I don't want to be skinny or straight like a boy...I'll take Selma Hayak's figure. haha

lol I don't know that I even want to be "tight" looking...if that makes sense. Of course, I could change my mind when I get closer to my goal, lol.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    just a note: guys dont like super skinny girls dont aim for that
  • abberbabber
    Options
    It is impossible to choose where you lose fat from. For me, I lose it first in my boobs and my tummy, but also my butt. Fortunately, I like being toned. In order to get the body you desire, you have to have a certain body type to begin with.

Oh, I get that :) I'm a pear shape, and I'll be happy to keep my curves...but I know that I can't control where I lose from. What I'm talking about is more of a real defined muscles look. That's not what I want. Does that make sense?
  • abberbabber
    Options

Using weights to get there is just more efficient. You could do body weight workouts though, if you don't want to lift. Lifting isn't for men, or for bodybuilders, or health nuts... I am none of those. I lift because it works. It's efficient. And believe me... it is quite easy to maintain body fat. Lol. Your body prefers "maintaining"... it fights for homeostasis. It's MUCH harder to change things.

You have absolutely nothing to fear. I'd kill to drop body fat %, like yesterday.

It's just not what I prefer, honestly. I actually really dislike the gym altogether. I'd rather workout at home or outside. And lifting just seems...boring. I'm easily bored, lol.
  • abberbabber
    Options

I have no intention of ever being super skinny lol. And I'm not sure my hips/butt would really allow for that anyway lol.
  • JennieAL
    Options

Oh, I get that :) I'm a pear shape, and I'll be happy to keep my curves...but I know that I can't control where I lose from. What I'm talking about is more of a real defined muscles look. That's not what I want. Does that make sense?

Yes, and it's not easy to achieve. Why are you worried about this? Just focus on your calorie deficit and some moderate exercise and you should be fine. Definition comes with low body fat %. It's not like you are going to just wake up one morning and notice your six pack.

And if you have shape, you will keep that shape... you will just be smaller. It's ludicrous for people to think they're going to change the actual shape of their bodies by exercising.
  • abberbabber
    Options

Yes, and it's not easy to achieve. Why are you worried about this? Just focus on your calorie deficit and some moderate exercise and you should be fine. Definition comes with low body fat %. It's not like you are going to just wake up one morning and notice your six pack.

And if you have shape, you will keep that shape... you will just be smaller. It's ludicrous for people to think they're going to change the actual shape of their bodies by exercising.

I'm not so much worried as...confused, I guess. When I read threads it seems like the majority of the people are like "Oh NOES! If you don't do XY and Z you're going to be all flabby and ugly looking". I'm more just wondering if there's a happy medium, I guess :)

And I understand that I have a basic shape that I'll retain pretty much regardless of weight loss :)
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

What he said.
  • kristenetc
    kristenetc Posts: 11
    Options
    okay, guys - it's fine to say that YOU are not attracted to "super skinny girls", but you really shouldn't generalize and assume that no guy is attracted to someone who is built thin. some girls are naturally small, or "super skinny", and disparaging them is as bad as saying similar things about heavier girls.

i realize this site is predominantly used for weight loss, but keep in mind that some people may be using it to keep healthy without the intention of actually losing weight. and keep in mind that some of these people might be "super skinny".

ps. i'm not one of those people, before you assume so. but they're around, so be respectful.
  • HealthyHappyBabe
    Options
    okay, guys - it's fine to say that YOU are not attracted to "super skinny girls", but you really shouldn't generalize and assume that no guy is attracted to someone who is built thin. some girls are naturally small, or "super skinny", and disparaging them is as bad as saying similar things about heavier girls.

i realize this site is predominantly used for weight loss, but keep in mind that some people may be using it to keep healthy without the intention of actually losing weight. and keep in mind that some of these people might be "super skinny".

ps. i'm not one of those people, before you assume so. but they're around, so be respectful.

I like you, you are smart. As a skinner (notice how I said er) girl I find it frustrating being told that thin is not attractive.......for the record fat isn't either :tongue:
  • abberbabber
    Options

I like you, you are smart. As a skinner (notice how I said er) girl I find it frustrating being told that thin is not attractive.......for the record fat isn't either :tongue:

It is a good point. And some guys DO like the super skinny look. That being said...we all know fat isn't attractive, lol, we get told that everyday.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

It is a good point. And some guys DO like the super skinny look. That being said...we all know fat isn't attractive, lol, we get told that everyday.

This my BIL. He only dates petite, very slender women. Probably so that they can't beat him up too badly when he invariably pisses them off!
  • abberbabber
    Options

This my BIL. He only dates petite, very slender women. Probably so that they can't beat him up too badly when he invariably pisses them off!

LOL! Maybe that's it...guys aren't necessarily "not attracted" to certain girls, it's just that they look and weigh whether or not she could take them in a fight hahaha!