• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

My thoughts, exactly!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    OK, so you've got a knee injury....nothing's wrong with your upper body, except your mind set.
    I suggest you start lifting weights for your biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, and back, do ab work.
    cardio? go to the pool or do punches (very effective).
    You can do all of the above without any harm to your knee AND put a full effort into it.
    Stop making excuses for your self, you won't get anywhere with that type of out look.

Crazy diets don't work for the log haul .

Not trying to be critical, just realistic~
  • hillaryreid33
    Options
    Oh my goodness people. Really? I know what my body needs and know what I WANT. And yes I was looking for some KIND words for "maybe it isnt a good idea" or maybe to modify what i suggested which has already happened. I am in no way looking for an eating disorder... hense the week long idea...I want a type of fast that I would like and enjoy. I enjoy celery and chicken... and now i plan on adding in other veggies, nuts/almonds and maybe even cheese. I honestly dont need any discouragement on how my body is already messed up... well aware of that! My car accident made that happen!!! Thanks for the reminder! So please... unless you want to HELP me and not CRITICIZE me then just dont say anything at all. Thanks again.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    OK, so you've got a knee injury....nothing's wrong with your upper body, except your mind set.
    I suggest you start lifting weights for your biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, and back, do ab work.
    You can do all of the above without any harm to your knee AND put a full effort into it.
    Stop making excuses for your self, you won't get anywhere with that type of out look.

this is how winners think. :drinker:
  • hillaryreid33
    Options

I do upper body things all day long. I dont just sit here and do nothing. I would literally go insane. I am able to walk now so I have been walking and doing turbo fire when I am pain free enough. I do keep up with my boys ages 5 and 4 and I am constantly picking them up. I am pretty strong in my arms, its the stomach, love handles and thighs that need losing.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just be sure your kids know how to dial 911 in case you pass out cause people fasting do pass out often.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I'll do the celery diet if I can make every piece ants on a log (YOU KNOW THAT STUFF IS DELICIOUS!!!!)
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options

I do upper body things all day long. I dont just sit here and do nothing. I would literally go insane. I am able to walk now so I have been walking and doing turbo fire when I am pain free enough. I do keep up with my boys ages 5 and 4 and I am constantly picking them up. I am pretty strong in my arms, its the stomach, love handles and thighs that need losing.

You.
    Can't.
    Spot.
    Reduce.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yuck.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you thought about strength training? I'm recovering from a broken leg...badly broken *sigh* and I contribute eating a balanced diet and lifting to losing inches off my stomach, tighs and bum. I gained weight from the inactivity true enough but unless I told you...

Just a thought :)
  • hillaryreid33
    Options

OH MY GOODNESS!!! THANK YOU!! I started crying just watching him with his difficulty in walking. Ugh thank you again!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I need to be really strict in the beginning. Im not one to get tired of something if i can modify it a little each time i consume. I want to cut carbs and sugars out almost completely. I would be cooking with unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil. And I would be taking multivitamins. If that is the start of an eating disorder then so be it. I cant exercise right now do to my knee injury and im not one for a half *kitten* work out. its all or nothing and if i put all in right now i would end up in the hospital. So i dont know. Im no where near small and Im 5'3 and my stupid little ticker thing says that im obese. And it will say im obese until I lose 50 pounds. Its ridiculous. I was 145 and i felt great but it still said over weight and now since i havent been able to walk since november ive gained 35 pounds so ... yes i will do anything right now that will give me a quick loss. I have kids to feed so I dont know if i will be able to not snack on the food i prepare for them but im gonna try this out to the best of my ability. Its all I can do right now. Go big or go home.. or in this case Go small or be fat .

Please don't do this. You're going to be very disappointed when it's over and nothing changed as a net result.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and try it. Nobody will convince you otherwise. But you will hate celery at the end of the week, no matter how much you like it. My guess is that on the third day you will start cheating and convincing yourself it's OK. By day 6 you will be forcing celery down while eating other food and feeling bad about not having success. You will be lying to other people about what you're eating. By day 7 you will feel bloated and sluggish, and giving yourself a cheat meal of whatever your junk of choice is. The net result will be that you hate celery. Any weight you drop will resurface within a week or two.

I'm sorry if this comes off b*tchy, but it's not realistic. If you do end up trying it, which I suspect you will, do something to add some fat. I wouldn't worry about the carbs. Just cook the chicken in some olive or coconut oil. If you go with more veggies, you will have much better chance of success. Then your diet goes from a gimick to more of a south beach approach. Actually, if you've never read it, read the south beach diet. Its a more sensible approach to what you're aiming for, and will help you figure out what to add back and how.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Can you use an elliptical? I've heard that they are much easier on knees than regular walking. My mother-in-law swears by the exercise bike I gave her. She's had bad knees for years and the bike has been gentle enough for every day use - and she's looking pretty darn fantastic these days.

As far as the diet goes... Our bodies do still need calories even if we have fat we can spare. Perhaps a vegetarian with chicken type of diet would be better? That way you could get a wide variety of vegetables with your chicken instead of just celery.

Natural sugars are not your enemy so fruit doesn't need to be off limits unless you have a complication such as diabetes.

Regular peanut butter has added sugar in it so if you are trying to go added-sugar free, make sure you go for the natural peanut butter whose ingredients are peanuts and maybe salt.

Also, some carbs are necessary. By all means try going low-carb. But some carbs are still necessary; even Atkins and the like want you to get in a certain amount of carbs per day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness people. Really? I know what my body needs and know what I WANT. And yes I was looking for some KIND words for "maybe it isnt a good idea" or maybe to modify what i suggested which has already happened. I am in no way looking for an eating disorder... hense the week long idea...I want a type of fast that I would like and enjoy. I enjoy celery and chicken... and now i plan on adding in other veggies, nuts/almonds and maybe even cheese. I honestly dont need any discouragement on how my body is already messed up... well aware of that! My car accident made that happen!!! Thanks for the reminder! So please... unless you want to HELP me and not CRITICIZE me then just dont say anything at all. Thanks again.

I am sorry - but if you did not want answers that did not agree with you, then you should not have posted anything at all. You seem pretty convinced to do this irregardless of the advice - so why ask in the first place?

People are trying to help you not mess up your body more. And saying that 'so what if I get an eating disorder' is likely to rattle a few cages (and quite rightly) on this site.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1.) You'll retain water like a bucket
    2.) You'll retain all the calories from whatever you eat afterward until your metabolism can recover
    3.) You need to stop being so snippy with people

I get it, you want a cleanse. If you want to cleanse, do what you do to normally clean things: A little bit of lemon juice, a little bit of vinegar, and lots of water (it works wonders for countertops by the way). Eat right, move around, drink lots of water, and don't post a topic 'seeking advice' if you aren't going to take any.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you can meet healthy calorie/fat/protein/carb goals that way, sure.

This^
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    This is unacceptable Please never post anything like this again you are a bully!

Just be sure your kids know how to dial 911 in case you pass out cause people fasting do pass out often.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Stole this from a status by ACG today:

http://lifehacker.com/5908996/why-body-detoxification-is-a-myth-and-you-should-stop-wasting-money-on-detox-products

Also- if it was me and I was trying to reduce cravings for fast food, depriving myself of them and eating only celery is the last thing I would do.