Heartbroke and defeated...

Options

Replies

• f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm guessing that doctor of yours gets a kickback for selling bands. I say f*** them and you can do it on your own. I have seen it done with a lot of the people on here and there is us who are currently pushing through. You can do it !
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. Someone who has an amazing story and did this all by herself is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/namaste1983
    and you should friend her as well. She talks about how its all about small changes, one at a time. You have a great start with 7 pounds lost. You CAN do this.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Please please please get a new doctor. You can do this! You have a wonderful community of people here to support you. I never though i could do it, and now here i am 33 lbs. in and at a weight i honestly thought i would never see again.
    Add me as a friend, we will all help.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new doctor. Your current one is an idiot.

This!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree about your Doctor!! It's time to look for a new one. In my weight loss journey, I too noticed that I hit a plateau shortly after I started. As soon as I changed my diet a bit and ate more calories... the weight started coming off again. Please, do not give up... it is possible.

Check out this article too, it really helps. Feel free to add me, if you like!!!

www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have such an amazing support group here - you've reached out and we're answering - you need to open up your diary, so we can look to see if there is anything there to help you as well.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I was told that I would never be able to lose weight due to some medical issues. I gave up...for about four years. One day I just got sick of being big and depressed. I started at 250 on 1/1/2012. As of this morning, I have lost 48 pounds (ONEderland is so close I can touch it..lol!). With no pills, starvation, or surgery. Just good ole fashioned exercise and portion size. Do not listen to what your doctor is saying...YOU CAN DO THIS! Feel free to add me! I always love giving and getting encouragement. If I can do this, anyone can. :drinker:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    yep your dr is a moron!! I weigh now more than you and started out nearly 300lb and Ive been losing on my own...
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That's CRAP!!!! I've lost 130lbs. Yes, it is possible! Granted, that WAS pregnancy weight. Apparently there is a difference (which I believe is also crap. Weight is weight!) But you can lose the weight by yourself.

You need a new dr. Don't give up!
    Watch this video. It brought me to tears yesterday. If this guy can do it, you certainly can!

http://www.godvine.com/Man-Barely-Able-to-Stand-on-his-Own-Does-the-Unthinkable-Amazing-1476.html
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a **** and you need a new one. Simple as that. Any doctor that would tell a patient that he/she cannot lose weight and should get surgery is a fool and obviously not in it for the patients best interests or welfare.

You CAN lose weight. You CAN get healthy, and you do NOT need surgery to do it. Keep at it and don't let an ignorant doctor tell you otherwise.

I agree 100%! Time to find a new dr!!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So I have been at this for a while now and have lost 6 lbs, keep in mind to be at a "healthy BMI" I need to loose 100 but going for more like 66lbs...I work out everyday 7 days a week, wear a Polar F7 to track my burn eat pretty good and pour my heart and soul into weight loss. Today I went to the dr b/c I have been having such a hard time...she recommends that I consult a dr about a lap-band....:cry: Apparently I am so big that I have no hope of dropping of the weight. I'm sure she thinks I am crazy- I broke down and cried in her office. :embarassed: I am planning on starting Insanity Saturday- tomorrow is my last day of RI30 ( I have done 60day straight of Jillian) now I really don't see the point I am big - will always be big and the only thing to help is a surgury that I can not afford :frown: :cry:

Thanks for the vent I needed it

BMI is bull****. Do you know your body fat percentage? My salvation was learning that if I were on the high end of a "healthy BMI" I would be dead. I would literally have 7% body fat since I have a large frame. That's impossible! It is so liberating to throw away that number and focus on one that you can change.

Also, have you had your hormone and thyroid levels checked? Perhaps something you cannot fix is holding you back. A nodule on my thyroid messed me up initially. Had half removed, and now it's great!

I would definitely find a new Dr or get some bloodwork done and focus on how much better you feel.

Keep going! Do not give up.

I've had days like this too. Add me if you could use a cheerleader!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Being from the medical field myself, I'd say anytime a doctor tells you a surgical procedure is the best way to take care of something before trying natural procedures then it's time for a NEW doctor. You can do this, it's all a matter of your health and what you can do and what you can't do. I've lost 88 lbs, it's taken me 13 months to do so, but I have done it. I cut my calories back to 1500 a day, made sure to make good choices in the drinks, foods I was eating and I worked out 5 times a week. It won't be a fast fix, and shouldn't be otherwise gaining back occurrs. You can do it....
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    First of all, 6lb is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats! Every ounce lost counts!

If all you need to lose is 100, you do NOT need the lap-band! Unless your weight is an immediate danger to your life -- But if you're talking about doing Insanity, that's so not the case.

Please get a new doctor. Better yet, seek the advice of a certified nutritionist.

Words cannot express how much I commend you for NOT wanting to take "the easy way out". :flowerforyou: Your hard work will pay off, you just need to find the right resources to get you on a path/plan that works.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so it might be an idea to open it so people more qualified than I can have a look & advise you. You can always lock it again if you get people bashing you.

You CAN do this. Dont give up.

I ditto this. You can do this!!! There is no guarantee anyway that by having lap band that you won't go back to the way you were. By working and giving effort and with support of your friends, you will be so confident and proud of yourself that you won't ever go back.

Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I bet your doctor even knew who to recommend, right?!?! Can we say, "KICKBACKS"?? Yes. I bet she is in cahoots with a bariatric surgeon. I smell cahooting.

Damn the doctors and their dirty cahooting!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I had the lap band done and it failed me...or maybe i failed it.You can lose the weight..you CAN. What Dr.s fail to realize with certain over weight people is we do not need our stomachs fixed we need our thinking fixed. Trust me...even with the lap band, it requires work and dedication. Their is no magic formula. I found "fixing my brain" and how it relates to food works better than any surgery. (although for some that is an option they chose ). Please feel free to contact me if you would like to chat.

( I have over 80 pounds to lose and I'm doing it...you can too)
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    Im with everyone else don't give up and do give yourself a day of rest, I watch what I eat but i dont stress myself about it so try not to stress ok-- im praying for ya!! be encouraged!!:drinker:
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. I started at over 320 pounds and have lost between 50 and 60 pounds so far. YOU CAN DO THIS and your Dr. is an idiot!!!!! Keep up the great work.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    When I went to my doctor, she told me to give HCG a try. Sometimes, when we are desperate for answers (and especially if they aren't being supportive and encouraging of the changes we have been working our *kitten* off to make), doctors start throwing out extreme things just in hopes that we will stop crying and leave their office. I left her office, and found a new doctor.

I'm down 100 pounds from my starting weight, although it has been 3 years of ups and downs since I started. It is possible, and most likely, you can do this.

Have you spoken to a nutritionist? That was much more helpful than my regular doctor for me.

Also keep in mind that not everybody is turned off by the idea of lapband/GB. When used correctly and with the right mindset and commitment to a lifestyle change, it can be an incredibly helpful tool in weight loss.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    Do not give up! If you log everything you eat, eat to within 500 cal of your daily needs, but no more, and exercise regularly, you will lose weight. Make your diary public, or if you prefer, available to friends only, so others can see it and encourage you. LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT -- NO EXCEPTIONS! The rest day advice is good, too. One day a week off from strenuous workouts can really help. The advice to incorporate a lifting program is good, too.
    The only bad advice you have received, near as I can tell, is from your physician. Bariatric surgery is a terrible idea, in my opinion, and completely unnecessary. What you need is to get a handle on what you eat and how you exercise to bring your life into healthy balance.
    Add me as a friend, if you like. You need support, and there are lots of folks on this website who are willing to provide it every day. Best of luck to you. I know you can do this!