Lasik Surgery?

Options
124»

Replies

• craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Absolutely the best money I have ever spent on myself, EVER! I would do it again in a heartbeat because life is way more awesome now! I had mine done in Dec 2009 and no setbacks or anything.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I had Lasik done about 8 years ago. Best decision ever ! The first thing I had to do in the morning when i got out of bed was put on my glasses or I would run into everything. My hubby was afraid I would lose one of my contacts when I was out somewhere and be helpless (luckily that never happened). No issues at all (other than old age is now starting to set in and I need reading glasses).

Go somewhere that has a good reputation... not somewhere that is "cheap".
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    P.S.

Even if you are not scared or nervous,... TAKE THE PILL

Its freaky as hell when you are actually in there... I didn't take the pill because i wasn't nervous.. then i almost passed out afterward...

TAKE THE PILL

They looked at me and said "you're a pretty big guy, here, take two"

AWESOME! and watching Seinfeld in the waiting area helped too :D
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!!

If you do it do completely bladeless. It's the best technology out there.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Mom and dad got Lasik light years ago. Everything is fine and dandy, they just need reading glasses now. But they are old....lol.

Last time I got tested, my eyes changed too often. I should go again...

If you can get it, do it.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    LASIK was the best decision that I have ever made! My husband and I both had it done, with no complaints! My procedure took less than six minutes!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away!!!!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    had it done 13 years ago and it was wonderful! there is no promise that it will last forever and they should tell you this if they are honest. your eyes will naturally age. i now where glasses but no where near what I had before! I had a good 11-12 years of no contacts/glasses and I am glad I had it done!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik. It went really well. Now that I'm 42 I need reading glasses sometimes, but that can't really be helped.

Get a good doctor and follow the post op plans.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I had it nearly 10 years ago. I still need reading glasses for very small print now in the last couple years (which is normal in almost every 40 something year olds) I would do it again in a heart beat as I have been glasses free for all this time. I was near sited. Doc said you should not look at it as getting perfect eye site but look at it as a way to reduce your need for glasses. In my case it gave me better than 20/20 vision for many years. I am still glasses free but my distance is not as good as in the beginning.
    I hope this helps.
  • dianacom
    dianacom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My doctor's office/staff, did everything possible to make me comfortable. It was probably worse for my husband who was watching on a gigantic screen, my eyes being lazered. I recommend you shop around for an office where you get time with the actual doctor performing the procedure. If I was going again I would have asked to see the actual room and have them literally walk me through the entire procedure. When they explain things it's from a medical perspective. I'm such a control freak that I think I would have been more comfortable if the environment was familiar.

I recommend getting personal references-knowing some of my friends went to the same doctor and had great result helped.

Good luck.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I got PRK done back in 2007. I'd spent a lot of time abroad, and finding the solutions and making sure I had enough contacts to last while I was away was hard enough. Then the question of glasses... And I needed them- I was legally blind without glasses or contacts.

So when I signed up to move to China (ended up being there for almost 2 years), the only question was where. I ended up at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire (I lived in central Vermont at the time). Great people, they explained everything. I had 2 valium pills, 1 for before the procedure, 1 for after. It took a few days for the discomfort to wear off, and I couldn't drive for 2 weeks if I remember right. But being able to get up in the morning without having to first find my glasses has been fantastic. Living abroad without having to worry about contacts, solution or glasses...

And getting that damn restriction off my driver's license!! :tongue:

I had to have PRK because my corneas weren't thick enough for Lasik. Almost 5 years later- I still see fantastically (I'm 32). I have 20/15 vision. My eyes do tend to dry out faster in dry air (winter, a/c), nothing a couple drops doesn't fix.

My 2 cents- Do your research, ask questions, make sure you understand the procedure and aftercare clearly.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    He said he was only under the laser for a few minutes, maybe about 15, it was very fast and the doctor talked to him the entire time telling him what he was doing but he couldn't see anything because they make your vision black (I don't know if that's the same everywhere or not). A few hours later he could see a tiny tiny bit but it was mostly fuzzy/blurry. He had pain but it wasn't too bad, he said it's like having a headache in your eyes.

If you do decide to do it, I wish you the best of luck!

My experience was nothing like this. The laser did not take anywhere near 15 minutes, my vision never blacked out and I could see clearly as soon as they told me to open my eyes after recovery. No pain, no eye head ache. I did have to wear goggles when sleeping for a while so I would not foget and rub my eyes. No biggie. Good luck.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great topic & thanks for all the responses!

I'm seriously considering doing this.
  • ddrake360
    ddrake360 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had it in my mid-forties. I had worn contacts since my early twenties, and I think my eyes are much healthier than they were before. My corneas were borderline thin to qualify for the lasik procedure, and I think that was due to damage from wearing contacts too many hours per day, and for so many years.

I had great results with vision. It corrected to 20/15 in my right eye & 20/20 in my left. I had started to wear reading glasses in low light, and even though it is not supposed to effect your close vision (and usually will increase the need for reading glasses for someone in mid to late forties), my close vision improved. I didn't need reading glasses until just recently, and I'm now 52. My vision did deteriorate a bit. I'm now 20/20 in my right, and 20/30 in my left. Also, my vision in my right deteriorated the first year, and I had that eye re-done (my surgeon offers to re-do if your vision is 20/50 or worse within a year). I was just at 20/50 at the end of the year. I had flaps cut (by laser) the first time, and developed a small wrinkle in the right eye which caused some pain & a return to the Dr the evening after the surgery. He gave me something for the pain & there were no further problems. For the re-do on my right eye, I had to have PRK because he couldn't lift my flap (also unusual). PRK is the removal of the of the corneal surface cells, versus lasik flaps, which is cutting and lifting of a surface flap, that gets replaced after the cornea is re-shaped by the laser. With PRK, those surface cells have to re-grow, so there is increased recovery time (your vision will be blurry for a week or so).

None of that experience would deter me from recommending the procedure, but I urge you to read as much as you can. There are a lot of websites out there that have many disgruntled customers, and some say they've experienced permanent damage. The most important thing you can do if you decide to have the procedure is to go with a reputable surgeon, and DON'T be swayed by the lasik centers that are really cheap. I paid $4000, and chose an eye surgeon who teaches at the medical school hear, had published numerous articles on different surgical techiniques, and has a stellar reputation.