Heartbroke and defeated...

Options

Replies

• Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    You are giving up on the wrong person, you need to give up on the quack of a doc..
    I was told a while ago that some of us are 'big girls' by my old doc. She moved and it forced me to find a new one. Best medicine she ever gave me.
    I am now living again and feel so much better than I have in years. I dont have the amount to lose that you are looking at but was looking at 60#+ when I started and am over half way there.
    It has meant changing how I eat and what I eat, which seemed hard at first but once I got started (like within a few days) I felt so much better than I had in a long time I was hooked, now 7 months later Im still going. I done over a year of zumba and recently added strength training as well and feel better than I have in what now seems like forever..
    So DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You are worth the work. You CAN do this..
    You need a support system and you can have that here... at MFP...
    Add some new people and start fresh with a new attitude and perspective and start shopping for that new doctor!!
    Add me if you wish... I would be more than happy to cheer you along on your journey and have a great group of pals here that have helped me so far!! Good luck
  • Christylynnb
    Options
    "I think your Dr is the crazy one. I need to lose a lot more than your 100lbs, and there is no way I would consider a lapband. I need to do this by myself & for myself & not take the 'easy' way out."

For those that think having surgery is the "easy way out" - you are wrong. You obviously don't know anything about being overweight or what is involved with weight loss surgery.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Please don't ever give up. As you can see everyone on MFP are here to help support you. I have gained and lost so many pounds
    over the years and I'm still trying to get rid of it for good. I am so glad that my daughter told me about this sight. I feel this time when it is gone it will be gone for good. Always remember if you bite it write it, because even little samples cooking will add up to more than you think. I will be on MFP as long as it is here even after I get all the weight I want to lose off. I will be able to monitor and make sure it stays gone. You can do it.
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    Time to find a new doctor. Your current one is an idiot.

I agree 1000%!!! This doc sounds like he/she is trying to make some money. :grumble: You can definitely do it with a healthy eating lifestyle and exercise. Dont give up. We are all here for ya for support. Feel free to add me as well if you'de like. :happy:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Lap band is calorie restriction, no? Just reduce your calorie intake, it's the same result as the lap band.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a big step. Open your diary up for your friends to see and weigh and log absolutely everything that passes your lips. You may find you're not quite as 'on target' with your diet as you thought you were and then could see the pounds shifting more quickly.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the posts, but not everyone with an MD or DO after their name knows what the hell they're talking about.

Find another doctor, and prove this idiot wrong. If you believe in yourself that you can do it, that's all that matters!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Looking at your tracker, it seems as if you started at 220lbs? I started at 260!!! 9 months later I am now 208! This is a long process and it's not easy. I would suggest varying your workouts and food options. If you have been at it this long with no result that is a problem.

Feel free to add me. Maybe I can offer some ideas for you. I know that I can offer support. You will get there!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Please copy this to your browser and watch...please don't give up...there is always hope. Feel free to add me as a friend.

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

That video was wonderful and inspiring. I even cried!
  • ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I've been doing this for well over a year and have only dropped .5 lbs in the past 6 months. The important part is that you aren't giving up. I had a doctor that was constantly telling me that I was fat. So much to the point that I would be so nervous to go to her office, my blood pressure would be sky high. The best thing I did was to stop seeing her. Weight loss is just not easy for everyone. Some of us have to put in a lot of hard work. But it is good and fulfilling work. Please be proud of how much you have accomplished and don't give up. Feel free to add me if you would like. I need to lose over 100 lbs as well. And smile.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Lap band is calorie restriction, no? Just reduce your calorie intake, it's the same result as the lap band.
    Could not agree more. Both surgery and regular weight loss require you to change your eating habits. Why not choose the path that doesn't require surgery. I think for some people the serious nature of the surgery and the commitment is enough to make the change, the surgery is just the tool that gets them there.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Y'all have been awsome! Thanks :flowerforyou: I do log everything I eat but frequently I do so on a journal at my desk. I will be the first to say that I do not always eat the best, I am spending my afternoon planning out some meals for my self with more chicken/turkey and pork. I went home so upset still and my husband vowed to eat what Ido so that I am not cooking 4 meals every meal (my children have extreme GI conditions - very limited food options) I will adjust my eating and log it all, keep working out b/c even if I am not loosing weight I am loosing inches :smile: and I feel so much better physically!

I don't think my doctor is a bad dr I think she gave me a solution-just not the one I wanted but the one that she could offer.(even though she really shouldnt unless patients are looking for that). She knows that I don't have the extra $$$ to pay for a nutritionist- so she gave me the option that is covered by insurance. She does not perscribe diet pills and did say that is what most people who come to her about weight are looking for. After more then a year with a 30lb gain I am so frustrated that I can not describe it, I know only those on this site will understand the pain of this. Being told that I should seriously consider such a drastic step was horriable. It was also a wake up call- because I qualify for the lap band, the next time I see her I will not be a canidate for the surgury, that is my goal. BMI can kiss my *kitten* b/c I have muscle, I know this I am not going for the goal weight of 120(healthy bmi) Just around 150-160. I want the right solution not the fast one. Today I am more level headed and feel better- thanks all my wonderful MFP family! I love you all Have a FUNTASTIC Friday!!!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new doctor. Your current one is an idiot.

^^^^ This. I totally agree.

I've lost 83 pounds by counting calories and then adding exercise. My average loss has been one pound a week, so that tells you how long I have been doing this. I may go a couple of weeks without losing or bouncing around and then boom... I'm down a few pounds. I am doing this slow...slow....slow, but I am still winning the battle. Don't get discouraged.

I didn't start my logging on MFP, but another website, so all my records are there. I don't want to switch midstream, but MFP has the best forums for this journey. Embrace them.

Good Luck
  • Munchkinxoxo
    Options
    Just read your story. And I also think you need a new doctor.

Dont give it up! You can do it!
    This site is fantastic for support and help along the way.
    Feel free to add me! we can support each other! :happy:
    That goes for anyone on here ..we always need people to turn too and help keep us motivated!
  • Bizeebec150
    Bizeebec150 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hang in there Breezymom81 - I have been where you are. I have lost almost 100 pounds and although it has been at times what felt like I would never get there I am now nearest my goal then ever and more motivated then when I first started.

Don't let your "mind" defeat you. Just take it day by day, meal by meal, and don't beat yourself up. Stay positive, you can do it no matter how long it takes it is a journey and a lifestyle change.

I believe in you, please keep believing in yourself!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Please copy this to your browser and watch...please don't give up...there is always hope. Feel free to add me as a friend.

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

That video was wonderful and inspiring. I even cried!

Me too...
    Totally agree...Never ever ever give up on yourself!!
  • Bizeebec150
    Bizeebec150 Posts: 88
    Options
    check out my website and follow me - my circle of friends and I are about motivation and positive encouragement (while being realistic)

www.bizeebec.com
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer that I needed to lose 76 lbs just to get back to a healthy BMI, but I could probably lose at least 100lbs. I was also told to give myself at least 8mos to a year to get all of the weight off.
    I honestly think you should consult another doctor. Any kind of surgery is a temporary solution. When I first started working out, I didn't have my eating habits in line. I lost 5 lbs at first, but then my weight loss stalled because I wasn't eating correctly. I did this for 5 months. Then I started tracking my calories on here & in 2 months, I lost 9lbs. I've had my good days & I've had my bad days. I've had weeks where I didn't lose anything at all. The important thing is to keep at it. It will all catch up & fall into place.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. But don't give in. We have a girl on our staff who lost 100lbs and I'm currently helping her to pass her PT certification because she wants so bad to be a trainer and share with people how she did it through proper eating and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you got this kind of advise from a doctor!!! you can lose weight naturally. It takes discipline and determination and you can do it. MFP is a great place for you!!

Since you are starting Insanity I would suggest going the Beach Body section of MFP and finding a Beach Body coach. They are a great resource for all your questions.
    Good luck
    p.s. feel free to add me if you like :)