40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,969 Member
    Options
    sder, Mondays are *always* good days to "start over"....I do this a-plenty!

crewell - yay on the "down1.5 lbs!" - that's good news!!

I've got a lunch engagement, so cannot get a work-out in at lunch. I'm going to pound out an outdoor walk this evening - since it's supposed to be a high of 24 today - FINALLY!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hello all

crewell - congrats on the 1.5 lbs loss!!
    Your training sounds like it is going very well - gotta love that.

was down 4 lbs this morning! Talk about water weight! Still have about 4 to go to get where I was during my marathon training. :tongue: That's how fast and easy I gain weight. :grumble: And why I weigh myself often!!! One week of not weighing myself and the numbers are through the roof!!

Had a good day yesterday - strength training and a 10km run. Well, the run was more like a run/walk. My legs were dead.

Bryan Adams concert tonight!!:drinker: Should be a fun time with my gal pals. I am doing a Feast or Famine fast today as a fund raiser for the Red Cross - so no eating dinner out with my friends, but I will have a coffee. :happy:

have a great day all! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    A concert sounds like a lot of fun, sder! A fast, for any reason whatsoever, does NOT sound like a lot of fun, lol! In any event, I hope you enjoy yourself, today.

I ate a chicken caesar (no croutons and no dressing) for lunch, so my diet plan is right on track. The sun is fading, and I don't think, with all the cloud cover, that it is going to get as warm as the weatherperson first predicted. But, I'm still going outside for a walk, tonight. I am!
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Been doing great with my jogging, then on Monday I pulled a muscle in my quads while pretending to be frogs with the kids at work. Ow! Taking it easy yesterday, would love to get out and run later today, we'll see.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Been doing great with my jogging, then on Monday I pulled a muscle in my quads while pretending to be frogs with the kids at work. Ow! Taking it easy yesterday, would love to get out and run later today, we'll see.

An injury can take longer to heal as we get older. Take it easy and allow your body to get better. Love it that you were playing with the kids.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Good monring peeps,

ferf - hope that muscle doesn't cause you any grief today!

beeps - did you get that walk in? The fast has been difficult - I am STARVING this morning! Ony a few more hours to go!

The concert was great! Bryan Adams came on right at 8 and rocked the house straight through to 11! He is looking older (but aren't we all) but his voice has not changed!

Didn't get home and in bed til almost 2 this morning, so I am kinda dragging my butt today. :tongue:

Coffee. I need coffee.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have not been slacking per se but I have been on the verge of burn out so I have decided to drop the strict P90X2 schedule and go with an ad-lib hybrid. So far this week has been really good.

Monday - Insanity Power and Resistance followed by a 15 min walk on the treadmill
    Tuesday - 3.5 mile road run followed by a 20 min walk on the treadmill
    Wednesday - P90X - Core Synergistics

Tomorrow I plan to do Yoga - Depending on when I get there and how much time I have it will either be YogaX or X2 Yoga

Friday - I plan to run again unless it rains then I will do KenpoX

Sometimes you just have to change things up!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Umpire - I think "changing it up" is KEY - good job!

sder - Bryan sounds like it was really great....am glad you had a good time. Hope you have managed to break your fast!

I *did* go for the walk. Which was great - weather was great and I grabbed 2 gf's and we pounded it out. Funny, though, my pedometer doesn't work, at all, except to tell you the time. (I dropped it in water about 6 months ago...) So, I brought it ONLY to know when we'd done one hour so that we would go back home. But, my gf wanted to know "how many steps" - so the ped says "1,605" and she just about fell over (not in a good way!). Gf said, "how many kilometers?" And I said, "1.16 km". Gf said, "how many calories?" And I said, "56". Sooooooooooooooo, she was pretty disappointed, but I laughed and said, "it REALLY isn't accurate. I couldn't walk 1.16 km/hr pace if I was CRAWLING, for pete's sakes!!"

I estimate we did about 4.5 - 5 km and we probably burned about 270 calories. It's all good....guess I should get a new pedometer so it isn't too, too frustrating!!
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! Having a great day so far! :drinker: Got up at 5:15 and did a quick 750 yard swim and then ran about 2.5 miles with a 10 min run 3 min walk 15 min run...my most consistant running so far........so overall very pleased. Have had a bit of a problem with a stich in my right side the last 2 runs but it seems if I catch it early and breath more deeply or slow my pace a bit it subsides. Any ideas any of you runners? Feels about were my gall bladder is.:huh: Anyway, I missed any type of workout yesterday due to traveling for a PM work meeting, I did manage to eat well at the dinner....baked salmon (one of my all time favorites) and lots of steamed veggies.....did allow myself one slice of the carrot cake, but stuck to water, water, water the rest of the night so as not to nibble. I was supposed to run yesterday and swim, bike today. Don't know if I'll get the biking in today or not will have to see how everything else goes. Hope everyone has a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

umpire - i like the way you have adjusted your workouts to suit you - still getting everything in but more fitting to your schedule. I am busy running, but still throw in a P90x workout every now and then because I miss them. My friend and I have committed to starting the program in September (travelling / races will be done)

beeps - good job on getting your walk in! I had to chuckle when you said you walked for 50 min and your pedometer said 1.16 kms! I am thinking your estimate is much more accurate.

crewel - great dedication to your training. Yikes,! Up at 5:15 to swim. Bbrrrr! Hope it was in a nice warm pool. :happy:

I competed my fast yesterday at noon, and it was none too soon. I was STARVING! I had done a cleanse day the day before, so I really had not eaten much in two days. By 3:00 yesterday, I had already consumed over 900 calories!! Man, it was like I had a hollow leg I had to fill. :tongue: I did have to fuel up as I had a 10 mile run to do.

Hopefully today, will prove to be a more "normal" eating day, but I am still hungry. I didn't have my usual protien shake this morning, and the breakfast I did have, although good & filling, feels like it has already left me. I really need to learn to feel hungry more often. :ohwell:

Hoping to get an upper body workout in today and then a short 5 mile run.

Have a great day all. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    crewell, do you work (outside the home)?? You are doing so much training....my husband is trying to get ready, to get ready, for a triathalon, lol, but we certainly cannot spare the (family) time for him to train....maybe in 5 years, but not now. So, he is improving his swim (one day a week), improving his running (one day a week) - and he's always been a strong cyclist.

GAck, sderes, I'm glad your fast is DONE. Fasting is just NOT my thing. Ever. For any reason. Ever.

lol

I'm back in the gym, today....might do the elliptical - or might do a walk/run (but, probably not....don't want to aggravate any hip injury or anything).
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm 47 and have never really had a problem losing weight until the last 2 years. Running for several years and then 10 years of karate (and age too ughhh) has left me with chronic back and wrist pain. Every time I get back on a work out program I end up with excrutiating pain in my joints. Decided today to try to learn to take it easy on the bad days and take advantage of the good ones so I can get this weight I've gained off. I'm not used to having to count calories!

I am on an Aleve/Advil regimen starting yesterday and did yoga last night. Today I started a 1500 calorie diet. I don't even know my starting weight, as I can't bear to see what it may be at this point, but it's probably a few more pounds than I guesstimated.

Sorry, just had to vent a little. I'm hoping I can at least make headway on losing about 25 pounds. I'm so discouraged right now. I know if I could just run and get back to karate I could drop it in no time, but this not being able to work out with all I've got is completely new to me and I'm not liking it at all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi cinblog! I hope you start heavy lifting....and soon! As you get stronger and stronger, you'll notice the weight coming off and you'll avoid being a frail old lady!!

Start with a personal trainer, to help get the form down right (for your back issues and your wrist issues) - and I'd suggest New Rules of Lifting for Women, by Lou Schuler.

(I'm in Stage 5 of that program, well, starting Stage 5 next week!)

Love it.

Signed,

former cardio-gym rat of 25+ years...
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So sorry havent been at all!!!!!!!!! It has been crazy since coming back from the cruise. I am still exercising and eating well, most times. LOL I tried to read some of the posts but there are just too many to keep track. The cruise was wonderful!!!!! But now I feel that I am more stressed out than before with everything that is going on. I will be traveling to Puerto Rico in a week. My mother is having knee replacement surgery and I will be going to help out and offer support. I am a little nervous about it though. I hope everything goes well. I am teaching my Zumba classes and this past weekend had 3 different events. I need another vacation!!!! My son is graduating from high school Jun 1. He is going to the Senior Prom as well. So many things to do so little time!!!

Crewell, I did read about your brother's passing. I am so sorry. How are you feeling? May he rest in peace. :cry:

Mkwood, I read about your daughter being here in San Antonio for school. Are you coming to her graduation? That is where I completed my military training when I was in the ARMY. My husband as well...he now works at Ft Sam Houston as a civilian. Maybe we can meet in person!!!

Swiss, thank you for asking about me. How are you doing sweetie???

I hope everyone else is doing well.

If I dont post before Sunday, I want to wish a wonderful Mother's Day to all the moms in this thread!!!! It will be a special day because it is also my son's birthday. My baby will be 19 yrs old!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    wb, alf!! Happy b-day to your son. I hope your Mom's surgery goes well.

And, yes, a "Happy Mother's Day" to all you fabulous Mom's-over-40!!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Walked 5 miles... Not too bad for not doing anything in such a long time! I need to find some shoes that aren't so hot my feet and hand swell so bad when I get hot.

Alf... Congrats on your son graduating. It's kinda amazing how many students that went to grade school with my children didn't graduate. Hope your mother recovers quickly. Surgery is no fun, but if it's like a friend of mine that had hip replacement surgery he's so glad he did it. A lot less problems.

Mkwood... How are you doing? How much longer til your husband is home?

Hope all of u have a wonderful mothers day weekend. We will be having a BBQ at my brothers house. Did I tell you my sister in law is pregnant again? She's not telling anyone cuz she pretty scared due to all that has happened.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Beeps, thanks for the response, but I can't heavy lift anymore. I have chronic tendonitis in my wrists so even 30 minutes of yoga is agonizing and makes the worst wrist swell, and compressed disks in my back. Hmmmmm was that black belt worth it? Heck yeah! :-) Seriously, getting about 20 pounds off will help my back tremendously, then maybe I can get back to some sparring or at least squatting and lunging with some weight. Right now squats and lunges with 30 pound barbell makes my lower back rub and click and then it hurts for 5 or 6 days. Ok enough wining already. I have been very fortunate to be able to achieve goals no one ever thought I'd be able to achieve.

As far as getting stronger and stronger, I'd of course like to be able to do more, but at 47 I'm proud of the fact that I can whip out several pushups (not on knees), squat and lunge with some weight and still be able to walk the next day, etc. I've worked out all my life so I'm not a weekling. I just am having to learn to take care of what I have instead of my old mindset of giving it just more than I have.

My biggest challenge is restricting calories. I always worked out like a demon so I could eat whatever I wanted. Now I'm having to learn the exact opposite. That's tough, especially when you're married to someone that never gains weight!

I do hope once i get a little of this weight off the back pain will ease up some and I'll be able to get back to harder workouts.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Well, cinblog, if you are pounding out push-ups, squats and lunges (even at BW), then, yep, you are keeping up with strength-training and I think that will be *key* for proper weight loss.

Key.

I'm 43, and it *is* tougher to keep the scale in check. On the other hand, it's only been 6 months since I've LEARNED that all my constant-cardio hasn't really GOTTEN me the "body shape" that I want. Sheesh. There I am, running around like a rat in a cage for DECADES and, while I have a strong ticker, it hasn't really resulted in anything else that I want.

So, I'm learning, too. About my body.

And, for me, lifting heavy has brought me a WORLD of good. I 100% believe that avoiding "frailty", as we age, is the only thing that determines "quality of life" and that STRENGTH is the #1 way to avoid frailty.

Yes, I still work-out my ticker....but not like before. I reserve Saturdays for my heart. All other days are for my strength training.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Boy am I glad this week is almost over! We have been so busy. My daughter had 3 soccor games this week, and my son is in a community play so all this week were late night dress rehersals and now finally the production Thurs, Friday, Sat and Mon. Work has been insane which is consistent with this time of year. One more soccor game tomorrow and then I'm helping by being a parent chaperone/ costumer for the kids in the cast for tomorrow nights production :smokin: I'm officially pooped! :yawn: But Hey....then it's Mothers Day! :bigsmile: Should get to put my feet up then right?

Beeps, yes I do work outside the home. I'm a full time veterinarian and have 2 practices. I work from 8-3pm everyday except Tues when I work 9-6, and of course some Sat. When I pick up kids at 3pm I start doing the Mom thing. I have been fortunate to be able to train these last 5 weeks. My kids are 11 and 7 and they each are pretty good about doing their homework and chores while I tend to work out on Mon and Wens. afternoons. Those 2 days I also have a college gal that has come in and fixed dinner that I just have to heat up, so when I get back from working out, dinner is basically ready! :love: Tues and Thursdays I've been getting up at 5:15am to swim and run, so that I'm NOT gone from home every night, but if I have to do a train those nights my husband handles kid stuff. It has taken A LOT of time, and we went into this with eyes open about what it would mean for these 8 weeks. Both my kids and my husband have been really supportive of my desire to do this, but it has taken all of us working together and sacrificing for me to do this. It has really been a great experience and blessing for our family in working together to help someone achieve something that is really important to them. Beside hopefully showing my kids a healthy example! :happy:

sdreski and others THANKS for your encouraging words and atta girls! They really help.

Alf: great to see you! Missed the part about you going on your cruise, hope you had a great time! Happy birthday to your son and good luck to your Mom on her surgery and to YOU for caring for her. As you know, I was the caregiver last fall after my Mom's fall. Being the parent/caregiver can be difficult. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. (hugs) Also, thanks for your condolences for my brother. He had suffered from alcoholism, substance abuse and mental illness for many years, I see his death as a sweet release for him and an end to his trials here on earth. He is in a better place now, I have no doubt, but of course I miss him all the same. :brokenheart:

Oh good news....I got an early Mothers Day present from the Hubby. Toe clips.......INSTALLED....on my bike. I have a big 20mile ride tomorrow so I'm all ready to go....hope I don't CRASH and die cause I can't get my feet out in time! :tongue:

Well that's about it from here. Tomorrow is another run as well as the bike and then I'm taking Sunday as a rest day. I weigh in tomorrow so we will see how that goes! Hope everyone has a great weekend and a Wonderful Mothers Day to all of you Moms out there! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    crewell - it sounds just like you said - everyone being very supportive as you strive towards your goals - HOW AWESOME!! And, what a GOAL to achieve - how proud you must be!!

Today I did a long-cardio class. Tomorrow is PURE REST DAY and a YUMMY EAT DAY as I soak up mother's day for all it is worth!

Yay!