Heartbroke and defeated...

Options
167891012»

Replies

• littledeak
    littledeak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Please do not give up. Many people have lost over 100 pounds. It takes time, patience and the will to try. Please ignore your doctor's advice.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So I have been at this for a while now and have lost 6 lbs, keep in mind to be at a "healthy BMI" I need to loose 100 but going for more like 66lbs...I work out everyday 7 days a week, wear a Polar F7 to track my burn eat pretty good and pour my heart and soul into weight loss. Today I went to the dr b/c I have been having such a hard time...she recommends that I consult a dr about a lap-band....:cry: Apparently I am so big that I have no hope of dropping of the weight. I'm sure she thinks I am crazy- I broke down and cried in her office. :embarassed: I am planning on starting Insanity Saturday- tomorrow is my last day of RI30 ( I have done 60day straight of Jillian) now I really don't see the point I am big - will always be big and the only thing to help is a surgury that I can not afford :frown: :cry:

Thanks for the vent I needed it

Do not let this stop you. My dr told me im too fat to work out. I have lost 35 lbs in 4 months. I work out daily. Doctors largely use opinions and biases. Get a dr that is sensitive to people your size. There are plenty of people on here that have lost 100, 200, 300 lbs.
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Quitting is not an option, so don't you dare do it. I lost over 80 lbs with out any surgery. It is not impossible. You just take ODAAT (one day at a time) Get some walking in which is the easest to do right now. Or do something that you really like to do, so you will stick to it.
    I have a saying and I say it to myself all the time IF IT TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME !!!!!

I will be your friend as well. so you can do this. With NO surgery, find yourself a new Dr.
  • HFD68
    HFD68 Posts: 16
    Options
    Soooo... not to bash doctors or anything... but when mine moved away, thank God, i ended up trying a licensed Nurse Practicianer. She is amazing!!!! She actually looks at me when im talking to her instead of a computer screen. She is non judgemental, but can dish out the tough love when she needs to. She told me with so many drs going the specialty route LNP are filling a niche. She has power to do all sorts of things, just like a dr., including write prescriptions. She is the best medical care i have had in my whole life!:smile:
  • carramel0705
    carramel0705 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I started at 237.5 in January looking to lose 115 lbs , so far i have lost 36.6 lbs .
    take a couple days off from exercising and keep just under your calorie limit . if you are set to 2lbs a week change it to 1.5 lbs for 1 week and eat those calories , reevaluate in a week and see if that helps , i changed mine from 2 lbs to 1.5 when i stopped losing.
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's crazy!!! Please keep in mind, doctors used to prescribe cigarettes and phen-fen! (different generations, though!)... and the thing that gets me, is doctors take MAYBE 1 nutrition class in UNDERGRAD education. They have absolutely zero continuing ed on the subject. I will never take nutrition advice from a doctor.

Please don't give up!!!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a doctor, let me tell you a few secrets.

1. Most of us get very little, if any, training in nutrition and fitness in medical school.
    2. We can be as susceptible to the current treatment fads as anybody else. Lap band is not nearly as invasive as gastric bypass, so a lot of docs think of it as substantially less of a big deal and are more likely to recommend looking into it.
    3. Many docs do not know how rigorous the pre-surgery preparation is. Or how long it takes.

What this means is that taking advice about weight loss and nutrition from a doctor must be done with some caution and a grain of salt. Speaking for myself, I now know (because I myself am making the effort to lose in a healthy way and have done a lot more reading on the subject) much more than I ever did before it was personal.

One question, though: did your doctor really say to you that you're too fat to do it on your own? Or did you assume that's what she meant because she suggested that you talk to a surgeon? (By the way you phrased it, I'm guessing the latter.) Because if she's a GOOD doc, she knows exactly how much time and effort you'll put into losing weight, even WITH a surgery, and she also knows that surgery is not a "fixed forever" solution. She'll think of it as a tool that can be helpful, and not a personal judgment or an indication that you're a failure as a human. And she'll know that, even if you talk to a surgeon to get more information about what surgery would mean for you, that whether or not you choose that option is YOUR choice, not hers and not a surgeon's.

So please take a deep breath, think about that conversation again, and decide for yourself whether you'd have any interest in learning more about the option of surgery. Knowing that it takes a long time of preparation and evaluation before you'd be approved, even if you want it. And that it takes diligence and hard work if it's going to be successful, both in the short term and the long term. And that it IS an expensive option, which is not always covered by insurance. If the answer is "no thanks," then let your doctor know you calmed down and thought about it, but that you're going to use other tools that have good evidence to support them, like logging your food and using the support of others who are going through the same thing. And ask her for a referral to a registered dietician.