If you have an amazing body you are clearly OBSESSED

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Last night, I had an indian which was two different dishes, a kheema naan, popadoms, a large preztel, 1/4 tub of ben and jerries, 2 cookies, a pint, pistachios, 4-5 jaeger bombs, several handfuls of tortilla chips and dip etc etc - plus more I can't remember. No need to not have fun and let your hair down weekly, sometimes twice. I do and look like:

544299_10150791210321611_1295875233_n.jpg

Now I know I have a fairly decent physique - you don't have to be obsessed to have a decent body.
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How's the flying? hehe
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Why judge people based on how "obsessed" or not they are with their bodies? Some people have to eat a lot to be fat, some can eat very little and still be fat. Same goes for being thin or fit, some people are just naturally more active and don't have to worry much about what they eat, some people have to worry more and make conscious effort. It's just how people/bodies work.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Guys who care about their body are sexy.

But it is a turn off if they're consumed by it, or unable to loosen up because they will only do certain things.

I like a happy medium :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i HATE when people try to put a % on diet vs. exercise. NOT TRUE. It's fallacious and misleading. Depends on the individual.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

It does not depend on the individual. Everyone wants to believe that their body is different, or behaves differently, but it really doesn't. We are all the same species, we are all the same. Most perceived "differences" are purely psychological in nature.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    How's the flying? hehe

i almost spit out my water.. god that was funny as hell
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Last night, I had an indian which was two different dishes, a kheema naan, popadoms, a large preztel, 1/4 tub of ben and jerries, 2 cookies, a pint, pistachios, 4-5 jaeger bombs, several handfuls of tortilla chips and dip etc etc - plus more I can't remember. No need to not have fun and let your hair down weekly, sometimes twice. I do and look like:

544299_10150791210321611_1295875233_n.jpg

Now I know I have a fairly decent physique - you don't have to be obsessed to have a decent body.

:love:

I happen to love Indian food.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i HATE when people try to put a % on diet vs. exercise. NOT TRUE. It's fallacious and misleading. Depends on the individual.

It does not depend on the individual. Everyone wants to believe that their body is different, or behaves differently, but it really doesn't. We are all the same species, we are all the same. Most perceived "differences" are purely psychological in nature.

Yeah cause every football player, bodybuilder, and Olympian counts their calories.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Also please school me on HOW you quantify this. Seems theoretical at best. I know i didn't get my physique through "90% diet"
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I prefer a guy that looks tall dark and handsome ;) # 1 with me is eyes. #2 is humor #3 is how he treats me..... I don't care if he has muscles, or cut or whatever. I like a guy to be just right.. Whatever just right is for him. I HATE big bulky muscles... on a guy or girl... and I hate guys obsessed with anything... unless, of course, its me. :) lol
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Genetics is less than 10% of fitness. Somatotypes (endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph,) are a myth, there's really no such thing. 80% of fitness is diet, and the other 10% is exercise.

So I agree with the poster who says genetics is an excuse, not a reason.

I agree. I had been overweight for most of my adult life & always blamed my genetics & my being big-boned (aka endomorph) for making it impossible to lose weight despite not eating much food compared to a lot of slimmer people that I've met but when I was assessed the very first time that I joined a gym way back 2005, it showed that I'm medium framed & actually have more mesomorphic qualities than an endomorph. That my genetics is considered "ideal", but then because of my laziness during that time so I never achieved the physique that I wanted. But now that I changed my entire lifestyle, I now understand what these folks were talking about to me before & slowly I'm seeing my abs.

It doesn't matter if you're an ecto, meso or endo as long as you eat right & exercise then you will achieve your physique. Sure endos may take a bit longer to lose that fat but nevertheless they CAN still have that awesome physique. Examples of in-shape endos are: Russel Crowe, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, Shakira, Marilyn Monroe, Scarlett Johansson etc.

These articles will further explain it more:

http://www.burnthefat.com/slow-metabolism-problems.html
    http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2010/02/once-an-endomorph-always-an-endomorph-can-your-body-type-change.php
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would love someone that I can go on runs with, go hiking with, do sports related activities,and when we go to the mountains, she doesn't sit on her duff, but gets out there with me, whatever it is whether snowboarding, climbing or whatever. I want someone active and strong. But, I don't want a gym rat or someone where there is no real point, just looking good.

This. I love to be active and yes, for convenience particularly Mon-Fri, I go to the gym. However, the gym is not my life, it's just one way to stay/get fit which improves my life. So in a guy, I'd want someone who is active (run, hike, ski, climb, swim, etc), but that will not be distraught if we're on vacation or visiting family/friends and he cannot follow his usual stringent routine, etc.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I want my man to be in good physical shape. he either has to be my equal or better so he can support my efforts.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I know I get cranky if I miss a gym session. I'm also more and more entralled with what I see in the mirror. I wouldn't call it an obsession as much as fascinated by change, I haven't been this fit in over 10 years and certainly not in my adult years so there is an addictive quality about it, gives you a lot of confidence when you like what you see in the mirror, and I know I've only scratched the surface. I know I've got many more months of hard work if I want to have a ripped look.

I think girls the girls who are put off by very fit guys is more because they don't want to lead that sort of lifestyle, don't have the confidence to see themselves on their level or just lack self esteem. I think very few are put off simply because they stereotype healthy guys are obsessed with themselves...
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options

This physique takes YEARS of hard work and dedication. Not something that can be accomplished by someone 50lbs over weight over the course of a few months
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    First let's define the word:

ob·sess
       [uhb-ses] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally: Suspicion obsessed him.
    verb (used without object)
    to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something.

I know lots of "ripped" and very fit people who have passion, dedication and discipline with there physiques, but aren't obsessed with it.
    To obsess would mean that that is ALL that is thought about and done. Nothing else will detract from that obsession. So I don't think you need to be obsessed to have a great physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I think they show they have knowledge, dedication and overall just care about their bodies. I'd rather be with somebody obsessed with taking care of himself than some guy who ends up 450lbs by the time we are 50 because he didn't care or have the dedication or any other reason.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i feel like a bb and so i worry a lot about how my body is looking. I could never be with someone who doesn't watch their calories. They would find me really annoying weighing everything i eat :noway:

Haha , mentioned that i was going to buy a scale and start weighing my food...oh the loooooookkkkkksss :noway: But hell I am going to do it anyway!!!!

After I found MFP, I bought a cheapo food scale. It is now one of the most used appliances in my kitchen. Prior to MFP, I probably would have thought it was a bit much. But now, I look at it as just another handy device to help keep me on track.
    Just today, I received the electronic food scale that will replace the two manual scales I already had - oops!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be "ripped" to be "obsessed"... You can be obsessed in an effort to gain that level of fitness... Determined... whatever. In a way perhaps your friend is right ... And so are you... Finding a "significant other" who has the same values as you do is a really good thing... Therefore, if both of you are "obsessed" with your fitness level, it provides common ground and a common direction for your lives together.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've been called obsessed quite a few times by friends and strangers alike. At least in my case, they're wrong. Obsessed people I think would almost be afflicted with an illness like body dismorphia. I think a simple test would be finding if the accused allow and acknowledge cheat meals. One who is obsessed, I don't think would.

I however ate a rice krispy treat the size of a sheet pan while enjoying a bottle of wine and watching "Strippers vs Warewolves" last night alone. Though - I think that's a different problem.