If you have an amazing body you are clearly OBSESSED

Options

Replies

• smokeatr9
    smokeatr9 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've never been attracted to a really muscular man, although I am very fond of the muscles my dh has. I'd prefer practical muscles, for doing things with, than ones just for posing. Luckily my dh has no idea he is good looking or he might have been 'taken' already when I met him :laugh:

^^^^ Yup - what she said! I like men who look like...well....men! :D Rugged, furry....kinda cave-man-ish. :D So my DH gives me "the look" whenever I start talking again about joining a gym because that's not something that would ever appeal to him. I would never ask him to join me because I would be wasting my breath. He's very physical at work for 8-10 hours a day M-F and at 39 can run circles around guys half his age - but he got that strength and fitness by doing what he calls REAL things all of his life. I.E. walking, climbing, digging, shoveling, raking, using heavy hand tools an equipment, etc... I would never call him ripped but he is certainly fit and capable. Good 'nuff for me!! :D
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    i HATE when people try to put a % on diet vs. exercise. NOT TRUE. It's fallacious and misleading. Depends on the individual.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

It does not depend on the individual. Everyone wants to believe that their body is different, or behaves differently, but it really doesn't. We are all the same species, we are all the same. Most perceived "differences" are purely psychological in nature.

Yeah cause every football player, bodybuilder, and Olympian counts their calories.

I'm going to say most (80%) of bodybuilders and Olympians count there calories. Football players? I would say under half
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you the average person who says I'm obsessed with my body spends more time per week watching television than I do in the gym.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i HATE when people try to put a % on diet vs. exercise. NOT TRUE. It's fallacious and misleading. Depends on the individual.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

It does not depend on the individual. Everyone wants to believe that their body is different, or behaves differently, but it really doesn't. We are all the same species, we are all the same. Most perceived "differences" are purely psychological in nature.

Also please school me on HOW you quantify this. Seems theoretical at best. I know i didn't get my physique through "90% diet"
    Really... So you don't watch what you eat? You don't eat nutritious foods, you don't eat a specific goal for macronutrients and total calories? You don't have a certain NET goal that you hit based on exercise? Diet is the absolute base for everything. You can't out train a bad diet. Diet determines overall body size and shape, activity fine tunes body shape.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I like guys who are a bit obsessed with looking good body-wise, but not to the point where you get texts every five minutes being informed that there's an extra 10 pounds on the bench press :'D . But having someone who has a really big interest in fitness etc gives lots of stuff to talk about and it's something you have in common.

However, there are many of people who are obsessed with the gym and nutrition and don't have amazing bodies... i.e. ME :(
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Bacon Flower!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_lzvmdd7ZBM1qfpcnio1_500.jpg
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think People confuse the words obsessed and dedicated. I know that I have set goals for myself. In order to get those goals I have to do certain things. I have to be consistent too. This does not make me obsessed. I am dedicated to my workouts in order to meet or exceed my goals.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm not obsessed about my body, I'm trying to compensate for feelings of inadequacy. #psychologymonday
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say obsessed, because I like to drink beer wayyyyyyyyyyy to much lol
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say most (80%) of bodybuilders and Olympians count there calories. Football players? I would say under half
    [/quote]

Just curious how you came up with this number on NFL players?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

[/quote]

When you watch a game almost half of them are fat so thats how I'm guessing he got the number.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the ripped look, but I do prefer a guy has muscles. I like it even better if he got them without entering a gym. So, while a cut body would not be enough to turn my head, it also would not be enough to turn me off if something else about the guy attracted me.

I would not want someone so obsessed with their body that they wouldn't relax and kick back with some brewski's and good food on a regular basis. Or that we had to plan our lives around a crazy diet or workout schedule.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    First let's define the word:

ob·sess
       [uhb-ses] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally: Suspicion obsessed him.
    verb (used without object)
    to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something.

I know lots of "ripped" and very fit people who have passion, dedication and discipline with there physiques, but aren't obsessed with it.
    To obsess would mean that that is ALL that is thought about and done. Nothing else will detract from that obsession. So I don't think you need to be obsessed to have a great physique.

The definition above does indicate that the obesession is ALL that is thought about, just that it dominates thought. It is always there in the back of your mind, even if it's not your primary thought. If someone is constantly thinking how every thing they do, eat or drink will affect their body. Or how their body looks in every situation and who is noticing. That would be obsessive, even though they may also be thinking of other things.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture on Facebook earlier about people who work out 5 days a week are obsessed, but what does that make the people who sit and watch tv 5 days a week, instead? Same difference.... just a different obsession.

Personally, I prefer someone who at the very least takes care of themself. I work hard on my body and my husband at least eats decent and when he was able to work out, he did. If he still was now, I would not feel as though I was competing with him, though.
  • WeightlifterJosey
    Options
    I wouldn't call it "Obsessive" I love guys who can keep them self in shape, when I am with a guy who is in good shape it makes me wanna workout more so I can stay in shape and we can have good bodies together.

(I only go for guys with muscle too).
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    It is the same as anybody who is really into their hobby. The hobby will take up a significant amount of their leisure time.
    I agree
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    agree with alot of what i have read. i would say i am dedictaed, i dont have the perfect body yet but i am dedicated to get it with my lifestyle choices. i am confused with being obsessive but these people simply dont understand what it is i am doing and the second exercise comes into conversation they switch off.

i couldnt obsess to much as i am to weak to not have some dirty treats occasionally lol, but i am cutting alot of stuff i love out and generally feel much happier because of it.
    i was overweight when i started, lose 4 stone and discovered i actually like weight training. i now train 4-5 days a week hard and try to watch what i eat and try to eat the right amount. this is more because i want my results faster then anything else lol. 12 weeks hard work for the body i want or 24 weeks minimal effort to get a slightly worse result. il go hard thanks lol
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with food.
    I always think about what I'm gonna eat next... I love to have full stomach, i love pizza, I love fruits, I LOVE food

the difference is now I put it in diary and make sure I hit my macros + don't go over my kcals and with proer training on top pf that I can have my dream body

When I was 13kg heavier I was just as obsessed with food as I am, and lot less happy...
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

When you watch a game almost half of them are fat so thats how I'm guessing he got the number.
    [/quote]

You are correct. It is just my opinion based on what I see. I did no research.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's all good until it trips over into narcissism or obsession. Both are personality disorders, or can be.

But you know what? If your personality disorder(s) mesh(es) with your partner's personality disorder(s), who cares? It's nobody's damn business.

I'm just glad there are women out there with poor enough taste that I have been able/fortunate enough to spend parts of my life with truly stellar examples of the same. :)