What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I thought the world was black and white when my parents and grandparents were growing up since all of their photos were black and white (and a lot of TV shows).

I hate to admit it but I also though wrestling (WWF/WWE) was real. I used to get really upset when I would hear an adult say they were just acting and that it was fake. I actually cried like a baby for about a week when Mr. Fuji hung Ricky "the dragon" Steamboat off of the top rope. I was in middle school then but believed whole heartdly that it was real!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Thought when people died in the movies that they actually died. Always thought to myself why would they volunteer for that! LOL

Wow I was just about to write the same exact thing. Haha
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I used to think that you could send a message to the people on the tv if you put the paper in the TV. My grandpa had an old set from the 50's and I used to put papers in the TV all the time! I also thought that the paper you put in the fax machine somehow was sent over to the person who was printing from the fax machine. Funniest: I thought that a computer virus came from putting a dirty disk into the computer.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i thought the laws against drinking and driving meant that you couldn't drink ANYTHING (pop, tea, juice, etc) I used to live in constant fear when we'd go places that my parents were going to jail because my mom was ALWAYS drinking a Dr. Pepper and driving.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thought I had super eyesight... so super that I could see germs!!! LOL
    My brother popped that bubble and told me that I was seeing DIRT on my hands!! LMAO!
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    According to child-me, everyone dies on their 80th birthday, there is a god, and if you get lost in the ocean you'll turn into a mermaid.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My Mom had me believing that there was a 'parent handbook'. Every time she said no to a sleep over or dessert or because I said so and I asked why?, she would tell me the parent handbook said so and for some reason...then it was acceptable! Lol...wish I had that handbook now....
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    my mom and dad told us that Famous Amos cookies contained alcohol and were therefore only known as "adult" cookies.... apparently this was a tactic they used to keep us from eating "their" cookies. It worked, too. And, oddly enough, I believed it up until I was an adult. Yea, wow...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

3. Thought there was a globe around the earth that kept the blue and all the air in and that when a rocket went into outer space they had a specific hole they had to shoot for.

This is awesome!
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I believed that the world was in black & white prior to the 70's...
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My third grade teacher told me that if I chewed my nails, it would cause worms to grow in my stomach. To this day, I can't bite my nails..

Also, I thought that before color tv everything WAS actually black and white.
  • edmercdeleted
    Options
    Religion.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I was a young kid I believed that a mouse lived under my bed and if I slept with my hand hanging off the sides he would bite me.

^I thought the same thing - except the monster under my bed had a chainsaw type thing that would cut off anything hanging over the side (leg, arm, hand...). I still don't sleep with limbs hanging over the edge!

That it took 7 years to digest gum if I swallowed it.

That my stuffed animals had feelings (I might still kind of think that :embarassed: )
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My brother (LOVE HIM TO DEATH) used to tell me that you were related to people based on your first name not last name. I never knew anyone else named Gayle so I thought I had no family.
  • Ann1ka87
    Ann1ka87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When we had boiled eggs for breakfast, my older brother and sister told me that I had to eat all of my food if not my mum would be mad at me... so every time we had boiled eggs for about a year I would also eat the shell. I thought it was weird that they didnt eat theirs but then they would always finish theirs first and come back in looking sad saying mum had told them off for not finishing their breakfast so I had to eat mine.
    I think it was my grandad that told me I wasnt meant to eat it... Not sure why my mum never asked where the shell went...

I was always scared to open the curtains and look out my bedroom window at night because for some reason I thought Texas Pete from Super Ted was outside my window and his face scared me... Even now the thought of a face at the window at night scares me.

I thought my toys all woke up when I went to sleep. I think my mum told me this to make me go to bed early, if not I'd make all my toys late for toy school.
  • Eeyore255
    Eeyore255 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1. I also believed when people died in the movies, they died in real life.

2. I thought "topless dancers" were topless - as in, there were just a pair of showgirl-type legs doing showgirl kicks on a bar while everyone sat around and drank.

3. My neice wanted a baby badly when she was around 5. My mom told her that women who want babies put a bowl of sugar in their front window, and if a stork saw it while flying over, he would eat the sugar and leave a baby. We had a dang bowl of sugar in our window for weeks!

4. I was told that if we lied or were bad, the Devil would pull on your toes at night. So, I kept my feet tucked in.
  • JoshuaTalada
    Options
    I thought I could hold myself up in mid air if I rested my knees on a baton!

Duh!:laugh:

I think I believed that as well. Didn't think about it till you said something.:laugh:
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I assumed brain transplants were possible. I was pretty shocked when I realized it isn't.
  • JoshuaTalada
    Options
    :tongue: Woman gave birth from their butts... Cause I thought it must be that, where else would the baby come out. .... Then when I heard about belly buttons and umbilical cords.... Well I just thought they took a direct route out the belly button. :blushing:
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    I think the craziest thing I believed as kid was that some really really old guy in the sky had somehow created everything and that he had the power to make me completely miserable forever and ever if I were a bad girl. I also believed:

1. that I could fly if I could just run fast enough and jump into the air at exactly the right moment.
    2. that the toilet paper used for wiping after peeing fed the "snake in the toilet" and that if I didn't wipe after peeing the snake would come out and eat me.
    3. that Santa and his other make-believe friends were real and always watching me.
    4. that boys were very-odd-looking, diseased girls and that's why boys and girls had separate restrooms.
    5. that my family in Britain were from "the future" because it was always later than it was here. Similarly, I believed that moving through time zones was the same as time travel, and that you could go as far back or as far forward in time as you want just by travelling one way or the other around the world.
    6. that my teachers were all geniuses, especially my maths teacher.
    7. that I wouldn't get sunburnt while out at the pool as long as I stayed under the water most of the time.
    8. that if I ate the seeds of something I would grow it inside me.
    9. that if I "touched myself" except for when bathing or using the toilet I would die and god would be mad at me.
    10. that if I ate everything off of a dinner plate I'd explode, and many other etiquette-related absurdities.