When did this site become so judgmental ?

Options

Replies

• kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have been on myfitnesspal on and off for almost a year. When I first started I loved it. The people on here were extremely motivating, kind, and helpful. Now all of sudden there is so much criticism, people are being rude, judgmental, and outright mean sometimes. I'm seeing forum after forum of fighting and opinions that are just so nasty. When people are posting questions it's because they are looking for help, not to be attacked about everything they are doing wrong. This site has become full of know it all type people. Certain things work for some, while it doesn't work for everyone. I'm simply posting this as a reminder to be kind to people on here and help people as much as you can. motivation for our new lifestyle is key. keep myfitnesspal as a great place to lose weight and make new friends. Remember, we are all here for the same reason.

Totally agree, I've been seeing it a lot lately too!
  • Coolchic927
    Options
    Seriously!!!! I agree. This should be a place for supportive like-minded folks looking for positive feedback and help where needed. Some people just can't help being ugly. :/
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It was so snarky here for a while that I nearly left the site completely. I drew back and didn't come to the Community side for a long time.

Now I just don't give a *kitten*.

Let the Haters Hate.

:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I actually think part of the problem is that we're not all here for the same thing, and we need to be respectful of the different goals and methods people here have. It is not a one size fits all goal or method.
    It's also important to remember we are of differing ages. Many folks are young. Younger than the allowable age. Particularly the very skinny teens looking to be skinnier. Yet we post as though they were all adults using good judgement.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love it when people tell me I'm wrong, oh god how I love it so. Sorry you guys get butt hurt over stuff like that, that sucks...

Don't like what I have to say?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I don't like what you have to say.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that a lot lately as well.

I agree!! I think there are many people on this site that are putting themselves up on a pedestal. I feel to each his own and what works for me, may not work for you. I also find that I will post a legit question on here and not a single response. Yet, someone posts about their boyfriend cheating on them and you get 20 pages of responses. Erks me! Last I checked this was MyFitnessPal.....It has definitely taken a turn.
  • mruszaj
    mruszaj Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are so right!

Just today a new member asked if she should eat her exercise calories, and some douche wrote back that maybe she should search before she posts stupid questions. How rude is that!

Maybe new members dont know they can search, who knows, whatever the reason is, there is no need to be rude when people are looking for help !

And you know what, its always the obsessive fit maniacs (who were in our position one year ago!!!) that feel like they know everything because perhaps their journey is complete... Just because your journey is complete does not mean you have to obstruct somebody else's journey !!!

HMPH! got me all riled up .. lol
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok. ok, it's all my fault. I joined, I'm GORGEOUS, => people freaked out in their jealous rage.
    I am so sorry.:tongue:

Serioushly dough, this is a fitness site made up of different people with different aims.
    Some wanna build, some wanna lose, some wanna maintain, some need 12345678 peeps a day going "oooh-er look at yer muscles / waist / tits / attitude / knowledge etc etc"

Build a list of supportive friends, block the idiots, think about the message you are putting "out there". be sensible and remember the maxims:
    "sometimes your worst critic can be your best friend"
    or
    "my haters are my motivators"

... when you do get someone criticising you. Think about their message, imagine someone you really like (in the real world) saying it to you - do they have a point? could they be right? If yes. think about their message. If no, succeed in what you are aiming to do. It will REALLY pee them off :)
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sorry I disagree with you (not judging though!). I started in June 2011, there was some heated debates then too about HCG, Atkins, Paleo, juice fasting, eating back exercise calories, etc. I guess it depends on what threads you go on.
    As others have mentioned, I'm not sure why people get upset when they post a question about a controversial diet and then wonder why people don't "support" them
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I posted something on here when I first started on this site over 75 days ago. The people were so rude, and not helpful at all. I have been avoiding going on any of the forums because of it. I don't need their negative attitude and rude comments. They actually started sending me rude emails after my post...

I finally had my post deleted so the emails would stop.

I just want positive, motivated feed back from people.

I have made some really good friends on here that have helped me thru all my ups and downs. The ones who are negative I just delete. I do not need them.

I wish more people would speak out against this and maybe things would change. I could hope...

Please ask me to be your friend because I promise I will motivate and support you anyway possible. Because we all need it.

Thank you for posting this comment above.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    polls_dont_20cry_0824_624485_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    What if I'm not here for the same thing?

^^This

We are not all here for the same things. Mindless cheerleading is for some, not all. There are people who want to learn, be challenged, question status quo & broscience, debate, etc.

That said... supply follows demand. 'Nough said.

THIS! It's true.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You are so right!

Just today a new member asked if she should eat her exercise calories, and some douche wrote back that maybe she should search before she posts stupid questions. How rude is that!

Maybe new members dont know they can search, who knows, whatever the reason is, there is no need to be rude when people are looking for help !

And you know what, its always the obsessive fit maniacs (who were in our position one year ago!!!) that feel like they know everything because perhaps their journey is complete... Just because your journey is complete does not mean you have to obstruct somebody else's journey !!!

HMPH! got me all riled up .. lol

Haha this is a social networking medium before information source. And on top of that it's a fitness resource, the same questions do NOT apply the same way to men and woman across the board. The answers could vary depending on the person, so I think new posts are perfectly acceptable no matter what the questions here. I would assume some people also start the topic themselves to make it their own and make friends from it. So many reasons, flame anyone who you see saying that, it does not apply to this type of forum.
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have surrounded myself with kind supportive people and for the most part ignore the snarky folks. It works for me!

I agree! I definately avoid anyone that is negative or elitist. I dont come here for attitude, I come here for support and help!

Just ignore the negative ones and hang onto the positive ones.
  • sreysaott
    sreysaott Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't know how well you know some of the people who are rude or judgemental, however I'm sure they don't mean to come off that way. You can't take it personally and dwell on the negative, you just have to brush it off and seek out those who are nice and supportive of you. Everyone is different.
  • mruszaj
    mruszaj Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Right you are.

I understand that everyone has their own opinions and perhaps people may not agree, but I think its a different story when someone tells you that your question is stupid or pointless, or perhaps you should do a search before you post.

You're right...retarded indeed!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I've only been here 2 months and some people are so rude and they're know it alls. What may work for 1 person may not work for another. We're all different.
  • dannybizzell
    Options
    well we are on a website. The tools are great. really helpful and my goals are coming around. I use what I need and turn the rest off. Best advice my mom ever gave me. Good Luck all.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sure some people can be rude... but for the record some people are crazy sensitive too...

A few tips to remember:

Positivity /= mindless agreement
    rude /= disagreeing with your approach
    myFITENESSpal /= just a weightloss site for women
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think what is rude to some is not to others'... I would rather be straight to the point than have someone sugar coat everything... sure that come across as rude but if you asked the question expect to get the varying responses!

Take what you want and leave what you don't... I am on another forum and have sometimes asked a question and found the replies to be rude but when I sat back and thought about what was said, it wasn't rude as much as it was true!