GREAT read on plateau-ing!

Options

Replies

• Monife
    Monife Posts: 9
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1370. My BMR according to Fitness Frog is 1768. My TDEE is 2432. Can anyone shed some light on if I am eating too much or too little calories? I have only just started calorie counting (previously Weight Watchers) and weigh in tomorrow so don't know if it's working for me yet.

I am getting worried the more I read on this forum though about people saying you should not eat less than your BMR. I also am scared to up my calories as I found it so hard to lose weight the last 6 months of Weight Watchers (lost almost 4 stone the first 6 months and then it was ups and downs the last 6 months).

Can anyone help?
  • beautifulblac84
    Options
    bump
  • Monife
    Monife Posts: 9
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1370. My BMR according to Fitness Frog is 1768. My TDEE is 2432. Can anyone shed some light on if I am eating too much or too little calories? I have only just started calorie counting (previously Weight Watchers) and weigh in tomorrow so don't know if it's working for me yet.

I am getting worried the more I read on this forum though about people saying you should not eat less than your BMR. I also am scared to up my calories as I found it so hard to lose weight the last 6 months of Weight Watchers (lost almost 4 stone the first 6 months and then it was ups and downs the last 6 months).

Can anyone help?

Anyone?? :(
  • joysu
    joysu Posts: 71
    Options
    bump that is me. working out cardio and weights watching what i eat but still not where i want to be.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Can anyone help?

Anyone?? :(

I ate below my BMR and lost 37lbs before it came to a screeching halt. I tried and tried to burn more calories, and it just wouldn't budge. I've increased my calories and I'm beginning to see losses again.

Here is what you need to know about MFP. It really doesn't warn you that 2lbs/week may not be realistic. In order to loose 2lbs/week, you have to average 1000 calories less than your TDEE to accomplish that. So, you see your TDEE is 2432. Cut 1000 calories and you have close to that 1370 that MFP set. However, since you are below your BMR this can eventually lead to a plateau like you are experiencing. You may need to aim closer to 1lb to 1.5lb a week to try to spur some more constant gains.
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JersryGirl31
    JersryGirl31 Posts: 167
    Options
    bump
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    will read later, thanks!
  • fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    Bump
  • messi08
    messi08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump for later. I will need to re-visit this again.. and again.. and again.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    good stuff! thanks for sharing. I've lost about 40 lbs in the past year, on my last 6'ish. have been plateau'd so long I can't even remember..... wondering if it's my heart rate now.....seems like I never get over 75% (according to the formula, mine should be at 172), if that. How can I increase that number and still breath while I'm doing it? I do cardio at least 4-5/week, also weight training about 2/week. The weekends really screw me up too.....
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrstweedle1
    mrstweedle1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    good stuff! thanks for sharing. I've lost about 40 lbs in the past year, on my last 6'ish. have been plateau'd so long I can't even remember..... wondering if it's my heart rate now.....seems like I never get over 75% (according to the formula, mine should be at 172), if that. How can I increase that number and still breath while I'm doing it? I do cardio at least 4-5/week, also weight training about 2/week. The weekends really screw me up too.....

If you can't TALK comfortably at your 75-85% range, you're doing it right. If you can't BREATHE, you may have another complication, like exercise-induced asthma. Your doctor would be best able to tell you, of course.

And for goodness' sake, quit letting your weekends screw you up! Plan ahead, work out, log those calories!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nanasgt
    nanasgt Posts: 33
    Options
    :happy:
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bump!