thanks for posting :):flowerforyou:
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great information!
  • cvpis4me
    cvpis4me Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for the info. While I haven't hit a plateau yet, now I feel well prepared for when it does happen.

One question though: is a plateau generally defined as 3 weeks or more of little to no weight loss? For example, if you don't lose for 2 weeks, should you keep doing your regular routine till the 3rd week of no results before changing? Or is it okay to go ahead and change your routine as soon as you see that the scale isn't moving anymore? I'd hate to change my calorie intake too much but I'd also like to prevent a plateau in the first place
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump
  • MusicalRunner
    Options
    Great article. Have been stuck for 4 wks now (infact have put on 3lbs!!) so this advice is very welcome.
  • pmanco2009
    Options
    Excellent article! Thank you for posting.
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great article thanks x
  • surferfreak07
    surferfreak07 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tried upping my calories this week from 1200 to 1800.....it totally worked and I lost 3 lbs :D I found I have way more energy and my workouts totally kick *kitten*! I was hesitant to try it but now I'm glad I did :)
  • cdaye8184
    cdaye8184 Posts: 18
    Options
    Great article!
    I'm going to have to try this. I've been the same weight now almost a year. Going down a few, up a few.
  • Farmgirl67
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the post.
  • purplerain011
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Great article - bump so I can show a friend...
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later. Lots of great information.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, did I really read that the author regards the Mayo Clinic as irresponsible? Your article contains several glaring inaccuracies.

Ketosis is not 'muscle consumption'. Ketosis is using protein (dietary mainly) for energy rather than the preferred fuel of muscles. The preferred fuel of skeletal muscle is glycogen; the storage form of glucose; otherwise known as 'sugar' or carbohydrate. Not fat.The term 'cachexia' indicate 'muscle consumption' and is associated with disease states, particularly cancer or AIDS.

This is a more relevant article about metabolism putting the concept in laymen's terms. http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/your_weight/medical_myths.shtml

The key concept is that people almost always underestimate their intake and over estimate their calorie burn.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great article.Thanks for posting:)
  • Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing article
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I am at a small plateau... thank you!!! It helped a lot!
  • sammielou99
    sammielou99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    bump
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bumping!!