Dear I love you but really....

Options

Replies

• mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    maybe he is afraid you will look so good that you will leave him for someone else. I think you need to talk to him sincerely, tell him how what he says isn't helping you and it's hurting you. Be gentle with him because he might just be worried that you don't need him anymore or you are moving on without him. You might have told him before but he didn't hear it.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I find many guys are critical because it is thier way to control women.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies.

I just want to finish the program and sadly I ha ve been stupid enough to think I would get more support from him. He did buy me the program, he bought me the hand weights, and the work out clothes AND the food scale.
    I do remind myself that he has supported my efforts in this way.

I am off to make a delicious lunch for myself.

This is why I hate giving internet advice on relationships, and hate seeing other people do it too.

He IS supporting your efforts...he's NOT supporting them emotionally. This means he's not the piece of $h!t controlling asshat the 23yr old woman from above is assuming he is. It means he's probably got some real insecurities and doesn't know how to deal with them.

We men can be very immature like that sometimes.

Have you told him his words hurt you? Have you told him you're trying to make positive changes in YOUR life and health, for both of you? If you have, and he's ignoring those attempts to communicate, you guys have other issues that go far beyond your weight loss and his insecurities, and you definitely need help with them, because those things don't get better with time, they almost invariably get worse.

If you (plural, not singular) can't communicate your feelings so that you both understand...what do you really have?

Thanks for the male perspective.

I think a lot of comes from the fact he's a man, wasn't raised to be positive ect. He's not the "Good Job" type of guy. But man...its killing me. I just want to say..unless you can say "XYZ to me about what I am doing, please don't say anythign at all."

We've been together Nine years April. Communication channels open and close constantly given our busy lives, kids, and work.

I understand, and appreciate your open mind...and I do think the key to this is communication (like it is to most things). Only after that's been completely exhausted is it time for more drastic measures.

Honestly I just felt there needed to be an honest counter point to all the 'He's worthless and abusive and controlling and probably cheating on you! Tie him to the bed, take the kids and go...and make sure the curtains are burning nicely before you drive away!' responses that always come with these kinds of threads :l.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am going with DP - domestic partner
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's afraid you'll leave him for another guy?
    The sorts of things he's saying sounds like someone who would think that.

I would talk to him and tell him exactly what it's doing to you!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My fiancé started out by nitpicking things I wasn't doing correctly (he thought he was helping). When I pointed out that it isn't helping and I let him know what I would like instead, he has been super supportive and fantastic. I think it's all about communication.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    My version of DP is funner.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    That crisanderson guy knows what's up. Listen to him.

:blushing:

:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Let him be your motivation to get better for your health.....Take some classes and meet other people that can also motivate you if you have someone in your house that is super negative you need positive people around you so that you can stay sane. Ask him to join you
    maybe he wants to and doesn't understand how you have the strength or motivation to start this journey. Hope this helps.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    From what I remember of intarwebz lingo, DP is Darling Partner. Like DH is Darling Husband, etc.

Read the post above; Domestic Partner, eh? I guess I'm not as up to date as I should be!
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    BTW - "big bones" do exist. People have different frame sizes and their weight goals should (ideally) correspond with their frame size.

Big bones do not nescessarily correspond to a big frame. There are people that actually have 'big bones' but it is about 10% or less of people in the whole world. When people that are overweight say they have big bones, they usually do not unless they actually got x-rays done and a doctor said so himself.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Try juicing your veggies. I do it every other day for breakfast. Works great.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I feel like it might help to watch your own words and reactions to things. I am not saying HIS behavior is YOUR fault -- NOT AT ALL. What I mean is... I had a boyfriend a while ago and I used to complain about being deprived or too tired or too fat or too WHATEVER and I think he thought he was helping by telling me not to bother or he would complain about what I was eating because *I* was complaining about what I was eating. Like "then just shut up and eat what you want!". I think he thought he was commiserating but I just took it as picking on me. Like... I wanted him to be the BALANCE to my misery saying "oh, it's not that bad, you're doing great, blah blah blah".
    I feel like the best thing to do in cases like this (even if it's hard) is just tell him what you want. I have to do this with my hubby now. "Do you like this dress? The answer is YES". HA. He has been trained to know the answer I want to hear! It's a little embarrassing but it helps our relationship and my sanity. ;) He knows I am trying to get fit and i've pretty much told him that if I choose to have, say, ice cream, I do not want to hear his opinion on it. I am a big girl and I make my own food choices. I don't know if he WOULD criticize but it's perfectly clear that I will not have it. I don't mean to make him sound totally whipped. I think we have a pretty normal relationship... but if there is something I am touchy about, he knows not to comment on it or criticize and so he doesn't. Maybe you just need to be up front with him??
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I am sooo sick of my DP and his comments about my body.
    DP has always meant something else to me. :blushing: How are you using it here?

Yeah, I have NO idea what DP means here
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I wanna know the funny one!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    From what I remember of intarwebz lingo, DP is Darling Partner. Like DH is Darling Husband, etc.

Read the post above; Domestic Partner, eh? I guess I'm not as up to date as I should be!

From what I read of this guy I would not be putting Darling anything in front of any reference to him!!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Must be the same as mine :tongue:
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Is he overweight himself? Sounds like he is afraid that when you're rockin a totally hot body, you won't want him anymore. It really sounds like he is insecure. Use everything that he says as motivation to do this for yourself and prove him wrong!
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree, sounds insecure to me.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

I wanna know the funny one!

Me too, now that I understand her version of DP to be darling/domestic partner.