If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

This

And your proof?

None of us has concrete proof but this works for me.

That's my point, there IS concrete proof that you don't need to eat breakfast.

If it works for you...that's seriously wonderful. I mean that...but just because it works for you doesn't mean it's necessary. On top of that, you don't even know for sure why it works for you (most often it's hunger control, not everyone gets hungry if they eat breakfast...usually it's people with naturally higher metabolic rates to begin with). That's why quoting a post perpetuating the antiquated belief that your metabolism slows down if you don't eat constantly...is actually hurting more people than it's helping.

Only if you believe fasting is a better route, which I don't.

It has nothing to do with fasting. It has everything to do with the proven way in which our body works. Breakfast isn't necessary.

Period.

Getting your total, healthy caloric needs met, IS important. When that happens is a non issue.

It's like arguin that the earth, is indeed flat...even though you've never been to the edge of it...because you personally have never been around it.
    The breakfast/meal frequency myth makes me want to punch someone in the face.
    Seriously do people not read any of the replies. Or any scientific data for that matter.

Its like being told you will catch a cold walking outside with wet hair.

OP I love IF. You don't need breakfast. You need responders that know what they are talking about.

and this just isn't true.

Again...show me one, single solitary shred of proof of this.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Seriously do people not read any of the replies. Or any scientific data for that matter.

OP I love IF. You don't need breakfast. You need responders that know what they are talking about.

Well then apparently you know something that 99% of this thread, MFP and all of science do not know.
    Perhaps I should just burn my biochemistry degree and take your word for it.

I would like to see some scientific data that shows meal timing impacts metabolism.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I make a larger breakfast and I eat 1/2 for "breakfast and the other 1/2 for a snack ten lunch around noon.
    So Ill make 2 egg whites with 1 cup broccoli and 1 serving cheese, 2 slices turkey bacon and some fruit. Ill eat the eggs now, 1 bacon and a touch of fruit with my coffee, then Im full and happy. About an hour later Ill eat the rest of the fruit and bacon, maybe a vitatop muffin or turn the fruit into a smoothie with protein powder.

Lunch I do lots of veggies, some protein and carbs. Then about 1-2 hours later a sweet snack and more coffee. It works for me. Or you can try just having 2 slices of turkey bacon with your coffee I used to do that when breakfast would make me sick to eat really early. The protein with my coffee kept me happy but not starved till lunch.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Everyone's different people! The metabolism revving thing may have been debunked but that doesn't mean that going without breakfast is the best way for everyone.

If you're happy without breakfast - that's fine too! Whatever works for you.

Agreed, completely!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started eating a no carb breakfast around 7 and I usually don't get hungry again until around 1230. I do eat a snack at 1030 though to keep my blood sugar on an even keel since I have hypoglycemia but it is usually just a cheese stick or a boiled egg. I eat low carb and since I started doing that I rarely get hungry. I only eat low carb because that is the diet my doctor put me on since my blood sugar was going down into the 50-60 range about an hour after I would eat those low fat high carb meals I thought would help me lose weight. Funny thing is that I eat less calories eating low carb that I ever did eating low fat. The only carbs I eat are veggies, berries and nuts. I feel so much better now and I rarely get hungry anymore. Yesterday, for example, I ate a pork loin caesar salad (left over pork loin from the night before makes an excellent lunch) around noon. Due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to eat again until 9:00. Used to be I would get shakey and dizzy if I went that long without eating, but I only got a little hungry and I had a nice salad for dinner and went to bed satisfied.

I used to skip breakfast because I would be starving all morning, but since I started eating a no carb breakfast, I can make it through the morning without even a hunger pange. I do drink about 20 oz of water in the morning also.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting discussion. I wake up at 5:30am on the weekdays. On the weekends, I get to wake up later but by the time I'm done taking care of the "mom" a couple of hours have passed by the time I get to eat. So I eat my first meal about 2-3 hours after I wake up everyday. Is that even considered "breakfast"??? lol. Just thinking out loud here.....
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Well then apparently you know something that 99% of this thread, MFP and all of science do not know.
    Perhaps I should just burn my biochemistry degree and take your word for it.

I would like to see some scientific data that shows meal timing impacts metabolism.

Lol...you are seriously awesome.

But we both know it's easier to spout an uninformed opinion on the internet, and run...than to stick around and defend it when there is no defense.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Hey everyone, just a quick question I've noticed.

If i eat breakfast in the morning, I'm hungry ALL morning til lunch! And after lunch I want to snack all day. This is whether or not I eat something light like an apple, or something heavy like eggs.

But if I don't eat breakfast and just have coffee with a bit of milk, I can work through the morning without being hungry. Then I'll eat a normal lunch and maybe an afternoon snack.

My company gives us lunch everyday, and it comes in from 11:30-12, so I do eat an early lunch. And I don't wake up til 7:30, so its not like I'm going all day without food or anything.

Any ideas? And do you think I'm hurting my body by not feeding it til lunch? I just eat less overall the days I don't have breakfast, so I'm thinking of eliminating it (just on the weekdays.)

I read on the Mayo Clinic website that caffeine can act as an appetite suppressant. Maybe if you're drinking coffee first thing in the morning your brain may not get the signal that you're actually hungry? So if you skip the coffee and eat then your brain is getting the message that you need some fuel to keep going, maybe protein will help. I'm sure other comments can give you some great breakfast solutions.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A lot of people give opinions on here that are terrible! Here is info from a Dr. at the Mayo Clinic, also see the link. Who are you going to listen to? I personally NEVER skip breakfast. Just some "food for thought."

Question
    Breakfast: How does it help weight control?
    Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    Here are some of the ways that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss:

Reduced hunger. Eating breakfast may reduce your hunger later in the day, which may make it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix — such as vending machine candy or doughnuts at the office. In addition, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.
    Healthy choices. Eating breakfast may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. When you eat breakfast, you tend to eat a healthier overall diet, one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day, too.
    More energy. Eating breakfast may give you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.So, if you skip breakfast — whether you're trying to save time or cut calories — you may want to reconsider, especially if you're trying to control your weight.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119
  • kimwillis1968
    Options
    I had the same problem.....I had to simply get my body used to eating properly. My breakfast is oatmeal and fruit or low carb wheat toast with sugar free jelly and a banana. The first two weeks, I thought I was going to be sick before lunch time rolled around.

Currently, I am doing well. I eat between 7 and 8.....then in 4 to 5 hours I have lunch.......then 4 to 5 hours I have dinner.

Being a diabetic, I try to give my pancreas a 4 hour break (at least) between meals.

I am not saying I don’t get hungry but it is much better now than it was when I first started eating properly.

You can have a small snack of celery between meals and that will not really hurt your diet….nor will it raise blood sugar.

Hope this helped!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Normally I would cite the studies that show that people who skip breakfast tend to overeat later in the day. But if you're tracking your intake and are not overeating later in the day, then you don't really have to worry about it. However, I'd still be worried that skipping breakafst would lower your metabolism. Is there any way you can incorporate the breakfast and keep yourself from eating too much later? Just to keep your metabolism up. Do you have a snack before you go to bed?

You said this happens even when you eat eggs. Are you talking a combination protein and comlex carbs, or just protein. Because it's the combination that most filling.

Some people are just different than the average. If you're tracking your intake and not overeating later than it's not a huge deal. I hope that lunch and afternoon snack are not your only meals in the day. Then you're definitely short changing your metabolism.

Have a good one.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    A lot of people give opinions on here that are terrible! Here is info from a Dr. at the Mayo Clinic, also see the link. Who are you going to listen to? I personally NEVER skip breakfast. Just some "food for thought."

Question

Answer
    Here are some of the ways that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss:

Reduced hunger. Eating breakfast may reduce your hunger later in the day, which may make it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix — such as vending machine candy or doughnuts at the office. In addition, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.
    Healthy choices. Eating breakfast may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. When you eat breakfast, you tend to eat a healthier overall diet, one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day, too.
    More energy. Eating breakfast may give you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.So, if you skip breakfast — whether you're trying to save time or cut calories — you may want to reconsider, especially if you're trying to control your weight.

I fully agree that these are true for a lot of people. But there is not a single shred of evidence that your metabolism is impacted by breakfast. If someone feels better great! The OP said she did not and therefore another method can be used as long as she meets her calorie needs for the day. Most of the points in this article are behavioral and not physiological. I stil eat fruits, workout daily (fasted) and would never ever touch a doughnut. :)
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    Honest opinion

I think you eating breakfast is jump starting your metabolism.
    When you start to get hungry, your body wants more fuel.
    Give it a little more fuel, until the next meal, and it will keep burning like that.

Same thing happens to me,
    I am bad at eating breakfast in the first place,
    but I am starting to think, being hungry is a good thing,
    almost like your body is telling you yeah, I am working now, but I need more.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm actually less likely to overeate if I don't eat breakfast. If i do, I just think about food constantly and eat eat eat. So far I haven't noticed about my metabolism, its pretty good in general since I'm still young I guess.

I don't eat before bed, actually after 8 pm or so I feel sick at the thought of food. Saved me in college from gaining the frosh 15 :)

During the day though I eat a substantial lunch, afternoon snack, and smallish dinner. I always hit 1200, usually more like 1400 easily. . But I don't get that ravenous lunch feeling when I skip breakfast which makes me think maybe its okay too.
    Hello,

Normally I would cite the studies that show that people who skip breakfast tend to overeat later in the day. But if you're tracking your intake and are not overeating later in the day, then you don't really have to worry about it. However, I'd still be worried that skipping breakafst would lower your metabolism. Is there any way you can incorporate the breakfast and keep yourself from eating too much later? Just to keep your metabolism up. Do you have a snack before you go to bed?

You said this happens even when you eat eggs. Are you talking a combination protein and comlex carbs, or just protein. Because it's the combination that most filling.

Some people are just different than the average. If you're tracking your intake and not overeating later than it's not a huge deal. I hope that lunch and afternoon snack are not your only meals in the day. Then you're definitely short changing your metabolism.

Have a good one.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Question

Answer

Lacking energy or feeling ravenous at lunch are great reasons to eat breakfast! As a matter of fact, that's why I eat breakfast most days.

But ... some people skip breakfast and feel energetic, enthusiastic, and not hungry until lunch.

Bottom line is that people should do what works for them and their body. If breakfast makes you feel crappy, don't eat it! If not having breakfast makes you feel crappy, eat breakfast!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Question

Answer

I fully agree that these are true for a lot of people. But there is not a single shred of evidence that your metabolism is impacted by breakfast. If someone feels better great! The OP said she did not and therefore another method can be used as long as she meets her calorie needs for the day. Most of the points in this article are behavioral and not physiological. I stil eat fruits, workout daily (fasted) and would never ever touch a doughnut. :)

Amen.

The key points she made are that that article points out 'behavioral, not physiological' reasons for eating breakfast. As in...if eating breakfast helps you maintain your ability to keep to your daily caloric needs, and not go over...by all means eat breakfast!! It isn't however...necessary for weight loss, fat loss, maintaining or even gaining lean mass, or even *gasp!*...overall health.

And it certainly does NOT impact your metabolism in any way, shape, or form.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lacking energy or feeling ravenous at lunch are great reasons to eat breakfast! As a matter of fact, that's why I eat breakfast most days.

But ... some people skip breakfast and feel energetic, enthusiastic, and not hungry until lunch.

Bottom line is that people should do what works for them and their body. If breakfast makes you feel crappy, don't eat it! If not having breakfast makes you feel crappy, eat breakfast!

^This is a good point. I don't get why the breakfast crowd feels the need to impose breakfast on everyone else. I am not endangering YOUR breakfast! You stay out of my morning routine, I'll stay out of yours.
  • lkblazek
    lkblazek Posts: 36
    Options
    Listen to your body, and do what works best for you. Everyone is different. You will know what to do if you're truly in tune with your body.

I have the same problem. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat for breakfast I am hungry (ravenously hungry) all day. Now I have a homemade chai latte made made with Tazo chai and Silk light. Some days I have to force myself to eat the calories (usually not a problem). Listen to your body.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    when you haven't eaten for a couple hours, your body slows down its metabolism. this makes sense -- it realizes it's getting less energy, so it stops using energy to store sugar, for example. once you eat something in the morning, or whenever, your body revs up its metabolism -- oh hey, look at all this energy, let's do stuff with it. so for the next couple of hours, you get hungry, because your body is plain old doing more. (this is not the same thing as "starvation mode," which takes >5 days to happen.)

Show me ONE study...just ONE, that proves this horribly perpetuated myth.

You have the whole of the internet, but make sure it's a peer reviewed study (pubmed is a good source).

Ready...go.

i'm not saying it's bad, or that IF is bad, but hunger can be caused by increased metabolism. no judgment on whether/when you choose to eat. it's a scientific fact that after several hours without eating, your body slows down its production of stored sugar and starts breaking down your reserves. when you start eating again, you obtain more energy from glycolysis to use throughout your body. at the beginning of this, your cells can go a little hog wild and use too much of this sugar to compensate --> hunger that should dissipate.
  • 2monthstogo
    2monthstogo Posts: 23
    Options
    You have turned on your metabolism which is the only way you can lose weight. It is good that you are hungry and you need to eat. Have something small every time you are hungry. Smaller meals throughout the day is one of the keys to a healthy lifestyle.