Ladies, Hair washing

Options

Replies

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do I get the biggest scuzzball award? I have short, thick, non-oily hair. I only wash every 4-7 days. And I work out 3+ times a week. I wear a shower cap on non-wash days, don't even get it wet!

haha I was waiting for someone else to say this first. we're hair twins. My hair is horrible if I try to wash it more frequently. I'm closer to every 4 with my cap, my hair is long though
  • laurishly
    laurishly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can rinse your hair and not use shampoo!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you go to the gym every day, I would wash every other day ( shampoo and conditioner) , but just rinse with conditioner after the other workouts.

The issue for me is I have long, thick hair and it takes ages to blow-dry. (Not blow-drying isn't an option). I would rather not wet it and use some dry shampoo and give it just a bit of blow-dry to just smooth it out.
  • chroniclesofadime
    Options
    I use a cleansing conditioner...just actually bought it because it's a new product by L'Oreal (Ever Creme). I also wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo/deep condition it once a week.

I find if you work out twice a day and have already washed your hair once that day you're usually good to just blow dry the roots with a cold blast of air, that way you're avoiding heat damage while still adding body and drying hair at the roots.
  • chroniclesofadime
    Options
    If you go to the gym every day, I would wash every other day ( shampoo and conditioner) , but just rinse with conditioner after the other workouts.

The issue for me is I have long, thick hair and it takes ages to blow-dry. (Not blow-drying isn't an option). I would rather not wet it and use some dry shampoo and give it just a bit of blow-dry to just smooth it out.

There's also a good product out there called "Blow" and it's a powder-based dry shampoo. You can get it at Ulta for like $20, sprinkle in your hair, brush through, and blow dry it to add body if needed.
  • KimboSlice87
    Options
    I have very curly thick hair and its really hard on my hair to wash it after every workout. I try to put it off as long as I can sometimes I can go two days without washing it. but most of the time is everyother day. but try to buy some dry shampoo it really does make a difference!
  • concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair once a week, sometimes less, usually on Sunday, with 1 cup warm water, 1.5 tablespoon baking soda, and a good squirt of natural (sulphite/nitrite/perservative free) Lime juice. I've been doing this for two months now, and my hair has never looked or felt better and my scalp is 100% healthier. I rinse it with water, and give my scalp a good finger massage everyday too. This is coming from a girl that used to have to wash every single night or look like I swam in a pit of oil!
    Over-washing leads to over-producing oil in your scalp, there's a pretty nasty adjustment period for 2/3 weeks when you only wash with water, when you need to wear ponytails, pretty much constantly, but once your scalp adjusts to not being stripped everyday, it stops producing so much oil! Try it! Every hair on your head will thank you for it!!
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh hey. For people with dark hair, I got a tip.

Use cocoa powder if you don't have a dry shampoo. Soaks up the extra oil & doesn't show. :wink:

That's what I did back in high school when my hair was black and I didn't feel like waking up at 5 am to shower. :|
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too. I HAVE to wash my hair after my workouts. I'm sure that's why my hair is so dry now. I was a Wen girl for a long time, which was great, but they screwed up the billing too many times and I had to stop using them -- they charged my card twice for each shipment. ARGH! No, thanks!

Anyway, I try to use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners and once a week I use a 30 minute leave-in conditioner.

Let me know if you find a product htat helps! :drinker:

Does Wen work nearly as well as the commercials indicate?

I wash my hair every third day. My hair is eats moisture like crazy, so it's dry about half an hour after I work out no matter how much I sweat.

My hair didn't work well with Wen. Maybe it's because I have an oily scalp and fine-ish hair. *shrug* What works for some may not work for others.

You have to find the right scent/version for your hair type. I'm a Wen girl too, buy it from QVC! :) I have to wash my hair every day, I just feel gross otherwise. I wish I could go every other day! I've been 100% satisfied since day 1. Apparently you are supposed to be able to go longer between washes with Wen. I do notice a difference & my hair definitely doesn't look dirty or oily the second day but I think it's more of a mental thing for me. But my stick straight hair has body & holds curl these days! :)

My hair eats moisture quickly and is prone to the frizzies unless I use a lot of products, which is why I'm curious about Wen. I've been using the Aphogee product line for the past few months and have seen an improvement, but I have to shampoo, condition, use a keratin spray, put in a leave in conditioner, then put in Chi Silk Infusion, then put in a moisturizer. If Wen could really control my hair in just two steps, I would weep with joy.

I totally intend to buy it from QVC if I ever try it. I don't trust infomercial vendors. The only one I've never had a problem with is Beachbody.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i wash my hair twice a week max. and i never use dry shampoo. it makes my hair super gross.
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do wash everyday but also sometimes work out twice a day. I only wash with shampoo once and the 2nd time I just rinse with water. This is what my hair stylist recommended.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Yes. My hair is curly, and I hate the way it feels when it is sweaty-wet. Plus, I really feel the need to scrub head-to-toe the instant my workout is done.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will go to the gym 2 times a day.... I always wash my hair after, but I know that washing so many times is not good for your hair. Stripping the natural oils.

My question... do you ladies wash your hair after every workout?

No.. I shower in the morning after the gym.. If i go again in the evening I shower but don't wash my hair
  • The_new_Amy
    The_new_Amy Posts: 29
    Options
    I've been considering doing 'no poo' for a while. A lot of my friends use that method and there's a 2-3 week adjustment period for your scalp but they all swear by it and have amazing hair. One of them is an avid runner and the other works out almost daily and they say they just wet it after workouts, I asked when we were talking about the whole idea.

I'm waiting until my youngest daughter doesn't have her special needs program to go to anymore so I don't have to see a bunch of other parents while I'm in the adjustment period. I'm all about cutting chemicals, and saving money and my hair right now.

Anyone else ever try it?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    ....Doesn't dry shampoo also remove natural oils

Dry shampoo doesn't strip the hair like regular washing does, it just absorbs some of the excess oil so your hair isn't greasy.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to the gym twice a day? Are you washing your hair twice a day?

Be carrful not to hurt yourself overtraining.

I wash my hair every other day. One gym sweat in there doesnt oil me up too much. If your hair is oilier you could try dry shampoos :-)
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    god no

my hair is super curly....I use shampoo once a week, the rest of the time I am "washing" with conditioner
    and yes, my hair looks good and smells clean
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    No, I don't wash my hair until it is really greasy. Sometimes I go for 3 days without washing my hair. People think that is gross, but I use heat on my hair almost everyday (with no heat protectant) and have no damage. I must be doing something right. haha
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    I stopped using Shampoo/Conditioner and any other products. I use Apple Cider Vinegar every couple of days with water after my hair has got sweaty from a workout!
    It's been 14 months since I've used 'product' in my hair... so easy to style and handle now, I love it!
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    BUMP