What is the best thing about losing weight for you?

Options
For me it is the knowledge that I have changed my lifestyle for the better and that I will NEVER go down the path of eating the way I did before and end up weighing 249lbs.

NEVER. EVER. NEVER. END OF

..... oh and I have made some pretty cool friends here too :)

So what is the best thing about your weight loss? I would love to know to have as a motivation to look at and think - 'wow, one day I will be able to say that too' (except if you are a bloke and say the best thing for you is now being able to see your manhood without your belly in the way - LOL)

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    so many benefits I have noticed-

more energy.....more apt to do active things like ski, hike, compete

more confidence

less concern with finding clothes that dont make me look like a chub

better complexion

just feeling good most of the time
  • Julietecosse
    Julietecosse Posts: 165
    Options
    Just being able to pull up the zips in jeans which I havent fit into for years and years. Love it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    controlling and reversing the diabetes. had it, took meds, it got better, no longer have it or take meds for it. everything else is just gravy
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that I know I am healthier, and I *feel* healthier too.

I have had a couple slips but that's been more recent and it seemed to mostly have happened since I have been in maintain. No substantial weight gain though. Less than 3lbs.

BUT I am determined to not gain back any massive amounts of weight, and I hope to get to a number that is good and maintain that entirely. I told myself from the beginning that wherever I end up I will never -- ever -- weigh what I was at my heaviest. That was one of the worst times in my life.

But yes, I'll go with health.

edit, another thing and it's kind of petty. But going shopping. I used to hate shopping. It was practically traumatic and I left the store feeling worse about myself because I felt like everything looked awful. Now I actually enjoy the shopping. Trying on and buying clothes that I never in a million years would have even attempted previously.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Becoming one of the people that I've always admired..the person who gets up early to go for a run and actually finds it enjoyable!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Some of the things that I can think of right now:

1. Not being embarrassed to hang my clothes on the line to dry, or trying to hang them in complicated ways so that they appear smaller.

2. Having a much easier time cutting my toenails.

3. Being proud about not only what I have in my grocery cart, but also how I spend my time.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    controlling and reversing the diabetes. had it, took meds, it got better, no longer have it or take meds for it. everything else is just gravy

That is amazing! You have fueled your body better. You, no-one else. That is an inspiring thing to be able to say. Well done you!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    For me, it is the fight.
    I am seeing guys and girls my age who have to use those eletric shopping cart things when at the grocery store.
    They only get up to grab the oreos or potato chips.
    I am not going to be that guy.
    I am going to be the "old guy" still out there surfing and teaching my children (and, one day, grandchildren) how to surf.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Improved self-esteem

Getting off my meds

Not being in pain

Increased energy

Clothes shopping is much more fun!
  • redsohare
    redsohare Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Shopping in my closet for those smaller sizes! :)
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    Just being able to pull up the zips in jeans which I havent fit into for years and years. Love it.

Now, this one I am looking forward to. In fact I have an old pair of jeans I last wore when I was 24 hanging up over my exercise bike as motivation :)
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Im much more confident and happy; went on two dates this week!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Better looking clothes (and looking better in them)

As a female being in the 100s instead of 200s feels awesome. I was 200+ for the last 14 years (and most of that time I was between 220-250).

Feeling stronger - strength training 3x a week with progressive weight increases, I can see my biceps and waist getting defined

Not having to worry about exceeding the weight limit on certain things, I went kayaking for the first time a couple weeks ago and i would have never done that when I was bigger b/c I would have been too scared of embarrassing myself by being too big.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    FEELING great in yoga pants in public. :)
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    edit, another thing and it's kind of petty. But going shopping. I used to hate shopping. It was practically traumatic and I left the store feeling worse about myself because I felt like everything looked awful. Now I actually enjoy the shopping. Trying on and buying clothes that I never in a million years would have even attempted previously.

That is not petty, it's wonderful! You have gone from being the unhappy girl in the clothes store to the happy girl in the clothes store.

Look at the other replies in this thread. Most people have mentioned getting back into smaller clothes, shopping for new ones or just being comfortable in the Mall. I cannot wait to get back into my purple levis. In fact I have them picked out as my outfit for my 'after' photo :):)
  • sixfootaliw
    sixfootaliw Posts: 62
    Options
    Amongst many other things:

- almost total elimination of my gall bladder problems
    - increased fitness meaning I now enjoy being outdoors and walking for hours so I am seeing much more of the countryside round me
    - increased confidence so I am more comfortable going out in the evenings to those trendy bars which used to terrify me
    - reduction in thigh-rub which means my leggings and joggings trousers last longer
    - unpacking the suitcase of 'thin' clothes that I thought I would never wear again
    - preparing to put the 'fat' clothes on eBay
    - pride in myself for my accomplishment!

Great question!

Ali
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Having the energy to horseback ride again.
    Going anywhere to shop and able to buy what
    I want, not just the big size that somewhat fits.!
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    --Getting rid of my size 18s for 12s and knowing that I'm still not done! :-)
    --Seeing the way the hubby looks at me when he thinks I'm not looking
    --Being able to run 2 miles in 20 minutes when I couldn't run two months ago
    --Feeling better about myself and feeling physically fit is nice too!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Oh, where do I start:

~the confidence
    ~the "I can accomplish anything" attitude
    ~the clothes
    ~the energy
    ~the way my husband looks at me

I find something new that I love about myself now almost every day... :bigsmile:
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    I am going to be the "old guy" still out there surfing and teaching my children (and, one day, grandchildren) how to surf.

That has to be one of the coolest motivations I have ever heard!