Over 60, I am NOT willing to give UP! Anyone my age??

Options

Replies

• nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Not 60 yet...Im actually 23 but it puts a smile on my face to see so many people taking care of themselves regardless of age. Each and every single one of you look great for your ages...Keep it up!! :-)

WOW...thanks from all of us oldies but goodies...I have 2 24 yr old Grandchildren that are like you....I am sure your GRANDPARENTS are very proud of you. :)
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm coming up to 55 this year, still plodding, and still loosing, you can do it, remember the tortoise, it got there in the end!
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
  • TOPSRose
    TOPSRose Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi redpaisleyrose!

In a couple of weeks I will be 72. How's that for being over 60? I am here to tell you that it can be done. I have had a discouraging week this week, but when I look back over the past year, I have done well. My newly adopted slogan fits what you are saying here...."If Not Now...When?" I may not have most of my years ahead of me anymore, but the ones I have are going to be fit and healthy!

Rose
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    To paraphrase John Barrymore Sr.(actor): "A man is old only when regrets take the place of dreams." i am 62, 220 lbs on the way to 200 then 180?. I dream of being at my target weight and of other skinny things! (Including water-skiing again this summer after a long weight imposed moratorium!!)
  • flowerpower263
    flowerpower263 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i am almost 69 and have been on mfp for almost 2 years. age has nothing to do with how you lose weight. i lost 61lbs on mfp and about another 9lbs before i joined. i have lost a total of 70lbs and all in about 8 or 9 months. You have to "move" to stay young! i am on maintanence now and work out 3 times a week and swim at least twice a week (never swam or worked out in my whole life!). i feel like 40!! am loving and enjoying my life like never before! I went from a size 20 to a size 8! The so called journey dosn't have to be a hard one, all it takes is a little bit of dedication and hard work to get where you want to be. Once there you enjoy your food in "moderation"! hope i have given you some inspiration!
  • debiw931
    debiw931 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm 56 and on a journey to become healthy. Although I joined this site several months ago I was using another weight loss tool but have recently become disenchanted with it. Nothing wrong with the program I lost 35 lbs since October 2011, the problem was me. I need something that will fit my needs a little better and I am hoping this site will do it. Several people I have become FB friends with rave about this site so I am giving it my best shot. I still have a long way to go on this journey and need all the support I can get. I know we can do it! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • 65Mustanger
    65Mustanger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I raise my hand for being over 60...well actually, I am 60 exactly. I have lost, gained, lost gained...blah, blah, blah and now I am here this time not for a diet but for a life change! Started ltwo weeks ago and am happy to report that have lost 4 lbs. LOVE IT!!! Would love to be Fitness Pals with any of you ladies (or guys). I need all the support I can get!

BTW...60 is NOT old, it's the new 40! I refuse to go quietly into ANY night, good or bad...I'm going to be kicking and screaming all the way!
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi - I will be 60 next week - I have never felt better. I will never give up but getting fed up of the 3 different sizes of clothes in my wardrobe and the yo-yoing. This time I have got rid of the clothes so I only have the smallest size now......I am determined to change my lifestyle and keep it off. Thank you MFP

:flowerforyou: Linda
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and love the food dairy. If we can support each other together, then please add me as a friend.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 69 and very thankful to be able to exercise and have all my faculties. Age is simply a number and not a condition. As a very wise friend told me a long time ago" the young want to soar like eagles but the veterans have learned to walk". At over 80 Caleb said to Moses " give me that hill and I will drive them out " At over 120 "Moses strength was not diminished and his eyes grew not dim"
    Give thanks for daily blessings and make every day count.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,954 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: One thing that helped me was to become part of a group of like minded people and commit to communicating with them regularly.

the thread that helped me most is : Women ages 50+

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/581521-women-ages-50-for-may-2012?page=20#posts-8648441

I hope you will join us and become part of the family
  • efil4yhtlaeh
    Options
    I see a couple of you are near my age...many 10 years younger so I guess I'll fit in. I'm 72. I've just joined to see if the journal will help me get this last 5 pounds off. I've lost 15 pounds over the past 8 months but for the last three months I'm on a plateau and can't seem to really loose. I'm eating what I'm suppose to, which is less than the recommendation here. I want to loose another 5 pound to reach my goal. I attend TOPS, but I'm still stuck.... Yes, It's extra hard to loose weight the older you get, because metabolism slows.
    Would like to meet some of you that are experiencing similar problems. Perhaps we can help each other with ideas and recipes. I'm
    determined to loose these last 5.
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As you can see, we have lots of company. I'm 65 and have lost 7 pounds on MFP and 16 pounds since I began this effort on the :flowerforyou: first day of Spring. I've had a couple of setbacks of pain with overexerting but sticking with the calorie counting alone has really helped and I'm going to add in more activity -- more cautiously this time. You can add me if you like. All the support we get here is really motivational. Good luck to you.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am almost 63! This site is such a help. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • Kathie47
    Kathie47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just turned 65 on Friday and I am convinced that this time I will be successful at losing the weight I have gained over the past 15 years. In the past, I was successful several times on Weight Watchers but I didn't seem to have the same success this time. Then i discovered myfitnesspal and I am motivated again.

I also joined a gym near my office but I pulled a muscle in my leg several weeks ago and was limping until yesterday. I hope to go back this week. I've been thinking about exercise for older women but I didn't find anything so that's why I joined the gym with a friend. I've heard that if you can do even 30 minutes a day of walking it is helpful for both health and weight loss. It seems like a modest goal s that's my plan now that I can walk again. When I was going, I basically walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I'm trying to close work up to a more ambitious program.

So, I was glad to learn that I am not the only older woman and myfitnesspal. My 25 year old daughter is also using it.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi, I raise my hand for being over 60...well actually, I am 60 exactly. I have lost, gained, lost gained...blah, blah, blah and now I am here this time not for a diet but for a life change! Started ltwo weeks ago and am happy to report that have lost 4 lbs. LOVE IT!!! Would love to be Fitness Pals with any of you ladies (or guys). I need all the support I can get!

SBTW...60 is NOT old, it's the new 40! I refuse to go quietly into ANY night, good or bad...I'm going to be kicking and screaming all the way!

Whatever happened to Geritol? Do they still make that stuff and what is it?
    I am 57, dropped 40 in 30 weeks that I gained over 30(years) and feel 40 again. How cool is that?
    So if 60 is the new 40, I am looking forward to coming up on 40 again.
    Senior power.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and since January of 2010 I lost 65 pounds. Now, I can't lie, I have gained a few back, but I am determined to get them off. My current loss total is 56 pounds. I did it using this site and another one like it (I like this one better), but basically it is portion control and getting off the couch. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel. The chronic pain I suffered from for years lifted, I sleep better and I certainly enjoy life more. The best advice I can give you is journal, journal, journal. Even if you over eat, keep track. I wish you a strong journey to fitness. You can do it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey there. i'm not your age but you can do it!

3 years ago one of my aunties lost 70 pounds. she did it by cleaning up her eating (baked or roasted chicken instead of fried, steamed brocolli instead of brocolli loaded with cheese, etc) and walking. she's also been able to keep it all off.

it took her a while to do it but just stick with it until you reach your goal :flowerforyou:
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been away for awhile - back & determined to keep on losing & getting healthier. I just turned 59 last month. My biggest hurdle is getting past the pain - I have fibromyalgia and my pain level increased over the winter. But being older just tells me that getting healthier (the weight loss is only one part of the picture) is all the more crucial.