bigger girl at the gym

Options
So lately I have been going to the gym on a regular basis and because I am a pretty big girl who is not in the best of shape, I have to modify a lot of exercises. LIke today, I was doing burpees but instead of doing them on the ground, I had a bench in front of me (so instead of going all the way to the ground with my hands, I would just put them on the bench and jump out)....for those of you who are fit and do these exercises all the time- is it weird to see a larger person trying to do these? Sometimes I feel like i don't belong at the gym, and I feel like everyone is judging me

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If the gym isn't for people trying to improve their fitness, who exactly are they for? :flowerforyou:
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    What Ironanimal said. Everyone has to to start somewhere
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, and actually stopped going to the guym because of it. I am planning to join again this summer. I hope you won't give up, and that you will keep going. Just put your head phones in, and keep pushing yourself.
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love seeing anyone who's serious about getting healthier at the gym. :)
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling like everyone is judging you and go enjoy your workout! I promise you no one is paying attention to you, because they are doing the exact same thing... enjoying (or trying to get through!) their own workout!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    If the gym isn't for people trying to improve their fitness, who exactly are they for? :flowerforyou:

Exactly! Everyone deserves to take good care of themselves whether they are big, short, heavy, slim, old or young, etc. Do your thing & don't worry about what others think.
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    Oh dont ever feel that way!!!!!!!!!! , everytime i see a person really trying at the gym it makes me want to go over and tell them good job but i never do because I'm too shy heheh :) . Keep it up and remember you are doing this for yourself and nobody else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck on your journey !
  • rbene07
    rbene07 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't ever think you are not good or 'skinny' enough to go to the gym. The important thing is that you are utilizing the facility, trying to improve your fitness levels and will see faster results if stay at a gym instead of diet alone. If you still feel a little self conscious, find a friendlier gym - one where you see others as yourself; who have your similar goals and aspirations. Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Even the instructor in my regular class is modifying since we are doing Insanity every day instead of her regular workouts. It is a way to get started on the path of being where you want to be!

Let me tell you something funny about modifications... I took my 15 year old niece who is 110 pounds soaking wet, a cheerleader, and a model to my class with me Thursday night. She had to modify EVERY exercise or stand there and walk in place while the rest of us did something.

No judging here!
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

This, don't be insecure. I think everyone is insecure when they first join a gym no matter what their size. Don't be worrying!
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am more motivated and impressed by larger people at the gym than anyone else, as it shows real strength or character Plus you will be one of the slim ones soon if you keep at it x
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is negatively judging you for adapting exercises to your current level of fitness is essentially a shallow moron and, therefore, should not be any of any concern to you.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    If someone is looking down at you for your shape...That is their problem....There can be a lot of jerks in the gym. Also, there can be a lot of good, helpful folks there too.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but my problem is squats!

Not because I can't do them, I'm not as big as I used to be but because I messed up my knee pretty badly and simply cannot squat like I should be able to with out tremendous pain and my knee popping in and out. Same with push-ups, a serious back injury prevents me from doing push-ups, even modified. Ah wellllll.

But as others have said, the gym is meant to be there for you to improve, so improve :)
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think if a person is looking at me at the gym then obviously they aren't there for exercise, because I have to stay focused on what I am doing, not looking at the others around me.............

:bigsmile:

of course, they might just be thinking how awesome I look :o)
  • killersushi13
    killersushi13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be more impressed that you're making the effort to do it in a smart way instead of trying extremely hard for a day or two, and then never coming back.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I give you tons of credit for even going! I love the classes but usually don't go because I go once and feel so stupid and "out of the loop" that I don't want to embarrass myself further. Have been thinking of signing up for the yoga for bigger bodies that they offer so then maybe I would not be alone.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I love seeing bigger people working it at the gym! When I first started I felt like a freak because I was the only one who seemed to have weight to lose. I kept going anyways. After a while you'll feel like a badass because you start seeing big changes in your fitness level and physique. The more out of shape you are, the bigger the potential for achieving awesomeness.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i cheer for the bigger people! well, inside, generally i won't break out into actual cheers, but i'm super glad to see anybody and everybody working hard ... especially since i know how tough it is. Keep it up <3
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Honestly I really do not notice anyone else at the gym. I'm focused on me. Please don't stop going because you fear what others think. Just keep on doing what you're doing. Being healthy and in shape is the best reward!!