Ladies, do you run/workout in a sports bra (in public)?

Options

Replies

• jessicataylor2
    Options
    It's perfectly fine. There are the "workout top" ones which I think are the better ones to wear if you're not planning on covering up because they tend to have a little more coverage and look better to be wearing alone. It's not inappropriate at all. Women wear less at the beach. Also make sure it has plenty of support. As a dancer, there's plenty of times where wearing a shirt is just way too hot so some people choose to only wear a sports bra. Or we go to classes in them in the first place. Not a big deal
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't right now, have in the past, and will again! :bigsmile:
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Not inappropriate... maybe that's just because I run on the beach and for me it's no different than seeing a girl in a bikini... but it doesn't bug me(: once I get tiny enough I think I might run in one... we'll see(;
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel comfortable no matter how big (or small) I was!! I will always wear a t-shirt unless I'm at home working out ALONE!
    That being said, I don't deem it inappropriate, it's just not for me!!
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I used to before, but once when I was running/walking with a friend she mentioned that it was inappropriate, so I haven't since. However, I want to because I feel restricted in my shirt and I get super sweaty. I think her issue was insecurity but I was just wondering if any of your ladies run in a sports bra or workout in a sports bra at the gym? If so, has anyone ever told you that it was inappropriate?

i don't think it's inappropriate at all. however, be prepared because some women will be jealous and make comments. c'est la vie.
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    I never heard of sport bra running as inappropriate until this thread. On a hot day, at least half of the women runners in my neighborhood are wearing sports bras and no shirt. And not all of them are completely toned.

Wear whatever you want.
  • Futurebabe
    Futurebabe Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes,cos it makes someone to be free
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    There's sports bras that are appropriate and sports bras that aren't. Any woman can tell the difference between undergarment sports bras and ones meant to be seen. If I had a body that I felt secure doing it, I would!

This. I'd wear one that looks like a cropped tank top. I haven't, yet, but I would.

I wouldn't wear one that looked like a bra without something over it. (Like the one in my profile pic... I wore it to a cheesy 80s party with a mesh top over it, but I wouldn't wear it solo for exercising.)
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I want to wear one when I'm walking my son because of how hot it is (and to work on a little tan lol), but feel that it's a little inappropriate since I am walking my child. : /

if you were w/ out your kid i would think it'd be appropriate. but good call on your part on deciding not to!

and what countdown321 said...appropriate for cardio but not sitting on a machine or something. gross.

i dress weather appropriate...mostly tanks if i know the weather will be hot. if i feel too sweaty and its like morning and my stomach looks good i will fold my shirt up and tuck it into my bra, but in the afternoon i'm all bloaty feeling and stuff so then i don't.
    also, there aren't a whole lot of people around, so i don't worry about getting weird stares.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I always said once I hit my goal weight I will run at the local track in my sports bra. I always wanted to do that and was/still to embarassed with my body. Hopefully soon I will feel confident enough to do it.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't as I am still over weight and have a big bust so I wouldn't feel secure doing that.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Modest is hottest. Please keep the girls covered in public, it is common decency. Congrats if you've got a great body, proudly show your spouse.

First, I've yet to see a woman wearing a sports bra that somehow doesn't cover the girls. I'm pretty sure that is the whole point of a sports bra.

Second, Most bikinis show more than a sports bra.

Third, Live & let live, people. If you want to do it, go for it.
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do but i wear a strapless bra underneath for more support and b/c my sports bra is white and a bit see through. I also have a smaller frame. If you do wear just the sprorts bra, I wouldn't wear short, I would wear capris or pants b/c some people may think you are exposing to much. I wear it only when I go hiking but not on busy streets because of creepers. lol
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Modest is hottest. Please keep the girls covered in public, it is common decency. Congrats if you've got a great body, proudly show your spouse.

The tank top in your profile probably shows as much of "the girls" as most sports bras. Maybe it's different if the person has huge boobs, but most of the sports bras I've seen offer a lot of coverage.

In the past I've run in just a sports bra and shorts if it was really hot out. If I'm running hard and my tshirt is completely soaked through, it's just more comfortable not to run with a wet shirt clinging to me. gross. I do raise an eyebrow though when I see girls at the gym in spandex hot pants and a bra lifting 2lb dumbells, so I can't say that I don't judge either.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I don't, primarily because the sun is brutal and my skin gets parched when I don't have a shirt on. I find it cooler if I have a lightweight, light colored shirt on over my sports bra. But I don't find it offensive. If men can run without a shirt on, can't we run without one as well??
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I hate to be supeficial, but to me it depends on how good you look. If you are fit and trim, then PLEASE go ahead. If you have a lot extra in the middle, then you might want to avoid that look for now.

But I think the best choice is whatver makes YOU want to go out and run, not my eye candy preference.
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I wea a sports bra and a sleeveless cotton shirt that is not tight(breathable). It allows me to wick the moisture if I cannot get it with the towel. Even if my body were taunt-I still would not wear a sports bra w/out appropriate cover. I think it is just plain tacky.
  • JessR704
    JessR704 Posts: 2
    Options
    i do! when im running around the park, once i get closer to my home ( more cars, intersections, crosswalks) i put my shirt back on cuz i don't like the attention lol and the honking
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I never heard of sport bra running as inappropriate until this thread. On a hot day, at least half of the women runners in my neighborhood are wearing sports bras and no shirt. And not all of them are completely toned.

Wear whatever you want.

I hadn't either until my friend said it. I remember in highschool, we would scrimmage afterschool in our bras. So it's never been a big deal. I see it all the time in my neighborhood. Even in the rain!
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If men can pull out their man boobs and wave them around in public, women can wear a sports bra if they want. I don't think it's inappropriate at all. Rock that bra.

Amen! LOL