"You won't get bulky!" they said...but I am! Please help!

Options
So I just added lifting into my exercise routine a few weeks ago and like my cardio/pilates, I try to go all out (however since I'm a beginner I cannot lift heavy) so I've been doing light (ten pound weight) lifting exercises a few times a week. I started this because I'm at a weight loss plateau with cardio and my muscles are not defined since I'm still around 25% (I don't know really, but this is an educated guess based on other people with my similar body type and status) body fat. Everyone said that if I want to start seeing some real results and get rid of the last of the fat, I need to lift.

Since I'm one of those gals who's goal is to look defined, YET lean and relatively small, I had some reservations about beginning to lift and do Crossfit type exercises. But everyone assured me that wouldn't happen...however, only a few weeks into my new routine, I am disturbed to find that my thighs, although devoid of cellulite and clearly becoming more defined, are bigger and actually touching, for the first time since I've been a little overweight. This bothers me A LOT. Not just because I am rather short and do not like how I look with out my leg gap (since I have very wide set hips for someone with a petite frame) but I can't stand the feeling of them rubbing together.

So what the heck guys! What do I do? Is there a reason this is happening when "light lifting isn't supposed to bulk girls up"?

As happy as I was about incorporating lifting, it will be ruined for me if I begin to look even bigger than when I started, muscle or not. That may sound a tad vain, but for a 21 year old who already has stretched belly skin from a child and damaged leg tissue from a car accident, I just want SOMETHING to eventually go right with how my body looks.

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements? It's absolutely impossible for your measurements to go up while you are in a calorie deficit. So most likely you aren't in a calorie deficit. Even if you are genetically superior and put on a whole pound of muscle while losing a whole pound of fat (which is damn near impossible) your volume would decrease because the size of a pound of muscle is smaller than that of fat.

So basically, either your subjective evaluation method is flawed or you aren't eating in a calorie deficit.
  • Flygirl214
    Flygirl214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This could be somewhat of an optical illusion. If lifting 10 pounds is taking your muscles to failure in 10-12 reps, you could be growing muscles, which, until the fat burns away, may appear to make you slightly larger. Another explanation could be that you are using improper form and causing some swelling. I agree with the previous response. Muscle is lean. It will always look smaller than fat.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say, but :

Your posture has gotten better, and your legs touch because you are standing differently.

You are not eating in a calorie deficit because of incomplete or inaccurate logging.

Missing a thigh gap doesn't make you bulky, in my eyes. Perhaps taking some measurements would help? I saw NO difference in the mirror, but I lost 2" from each thigh. It showed me just how awful my perception was.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Thanks guys. Well, yes I've taken my measurements and I've gotten almost about a half inch on each thigh in the past few weeks. Which doesn't sound like a lot but apparently it's the difference between my thighs touching and not. And, I don't think I'm using bad form because I'm supervised while lifting...but how does that cause swelling anyway, just curious. I will make sure I'm lifting properly. Also, I did want to just calm down and believe that I'm only bigger right now because my muscles are growing but there is still fat present...however when I flex my leg I do feel a lot less fat already and it just seems like my muscles are getting huge too fast, it's weird. And I am definitely in a calorie deficit, have not gone over on my calories in over two months. I'm confused :p

** and thanks for your input as well! But the problem is not just perception since they not only look bigger, but they physically rub together now which is driving me crazy >.<
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a need for great strength in your legs, I would not use weights on them. Do body weight exercises. If you use weights, I would not exercise using the heaviest weight you can handle, for 3 or for sets of 8 to 12 reps. That kind of training tends to cause hypertrophy.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    your muscles can retain some water when lifting. It might go down.

Don't stop lifting. I think your legs will shrink. Mine sure did. I am not sure what happened in the first month but I know they have gotten smaller from lifting.
    You aren't going to build muscle on a calorie deficit so I think it is water. You can get stronger sure, but you aren't going to gain muscle unless you eat a surplus. That is my unprofessional option.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Well, yes I've taken my measurements and I've gotten almost about a half inch on each thigh in the past few weeks. Which doesn't sound like a lot but apparently it's the difference between my thighs touching and not. And, I don't think I'm using bad form because I'm supervised while lifting...but how does that cause swelling anyway, just curious. I will make sure I'm lifting properly. Also, I did want to just calm down and believe that I'm only bigger right now because my muscles are growing but there is still fat present...however when I flex my leg I do feel a lot less fat already and it just seems like my muscles are getting huge too fast, it's weird. And I am definitely in a calorie deficit, have not gone over on my calories in over two months. I'm confused :p

Since joining MFP I've posted scores of times to say that some women do increase in size and that it bothers some women. Then someone responds by posting a photo of a fitness model or of someone with a different body shape and says it's impossible to get bigger, or you'll get bigger in a uniform manner. It's irritating.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements? It's absolutely impossible for your measurements to go up while you are in a calorie deficit. So most likely you aren't in a calorie deficit. Even if you are genetically superior and put on a whole pound of muscle while losing a whole pound of fat (which is damn near impossible) your volume would decrease because the size of a pound of muscle is smaller than that of fat.

So basically, either your subjective evaluation method is flawed or you aren't eating in a calorie deficit.

This. The only way you would bulk up is if you are eating well above maintenance and lifting heavy. I don't think a couple of weeks will do it. Bust out the measuring tape. You may be retaining water. Give it some more time. I started lifting heavy and my arms feel and look bigger and my shirts are a little more snug in the shoulder area, but I've lost 2 inches off of my arms. I wouldn't throw in the towel for .5 inches.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's simples.

You started with legs with less muscle.

You added muscle.*

The fat hasn't started to come off from that area yet.

Thus, legs are seemingly bigger.

Persevere.

*Newbie gains / water retention in existing muscle
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Use your common sense. Do you really think building muscle is so easy that doing light weights for a few weeks really packs on half an inch of muscle on each thigh? While eating at a deficit no less? If it were that easy, why do bodybuilders have to spend hours a day years on end lifting weights and eating at a surplus?
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My bet is on water retention. Your muscles are essentially retaining water to help with healing. When I started doing Pilates regularly again, I looked 4 months pregnant at one point! Within a few weeks it went away though and I look much better.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Thanks guys, both for the possible reasons (somehow retaining water completely slipped my mind...derp) and for the encouragement as well, I'm going to keep with it and hope everything works out in due time.

That being said, I think it will still be hard getting used to the thigh chaffing if this is permanent :(
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    It's simples.

You added muscle.*

Persevere.

The part in bold.

You did not add muscle in two weeks hun, I'm sorry. You've stressed yourself, and your body is hoarding fluid to cope.

Also, HEAVY lifting doesn't bulk women up, on a calorie deficit. Light lifting isn't going to either.

If your program was mine to write, I'd put you on a solid full body, 3x a week 5x5 program, with weight you can't lift more than 7x on your first try. I'd cut the cardio to 2x a week tops...and make you do it for a month straight.

With your diet under control...I think you'd be thrilled with your results.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Use your common sense. Do you really think building muscle is so easy that doing light weights for a few weeks really packs on half an inch of muscle on each thigh? While eating at a deficit no less? If it were that easy, why do bodybuilders have to spend hours a day years on end lifting weights and eating at a surplus?

Well I exercise a TON, even before I recently started lifting so I wasn't sure, I mean, I did a lot of strength training to begin with...also, yeah I do think that's possible for some people. The Crossfitters I've met the past few months have had INSANELY quick results with weights. I guess everyone's just different...
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It bulks me up to. I'm one of those freaks that gets big from lifting. I put on muscle like a crazy person. I had big muscles when I was 10.

Some girls just have genetics to put on muscle really quickly. About 3 weeks ago I started lifting because I bought into the belief that girls don't get bulky and I already have started to get bigger. I'm quitting lifting and going back to body resistance exercises. It worked much better for my body type.

Lifting heavy doesn't work for everyone. Some people build sufficient amount of muscle mass without lifting heavy.

Maybe when I get to my goal weight I'll add it in if I think I've lost too much muscle during my weight loss. I might get slain for saying this, but I could stand to lose a little of my muscle mass as well :smile: I used to swim competitively and I have always hated my large bulky muscles that came along with it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Well it most likely because you aren't losing fat & you're building muscle underneath thick layers of fat so therefore making your thighs a bit bigger or that your muscles are holding on to water after each resistance training workout so the tendency is to have a temporary gains in weight & inches but eventually it will subside. See when you are new to weight lifting, you will experience beginner's gain which is actually a minor gain. Also if you've been lifting for quite sometime now, you will eventually reach a plateau & the only way that you can build new muscle is to eat calorie surplus.

The only way for you to have a defined body is to lower your overall body fat percentage. You can't have a "toned" body when your body fat is high.

Now to burn fat, you have to be in a deficit & as we know 80% mostly comes from diet. As much as possible avoid fast foods, processed foods & empty calories, instead eat whole foods. As for cardio, you might want to swap one of your cardio days for HIIT. Of course keep on lifting weights. You will be needing it to maintain muscle mass.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

** and thanks for your input as well! But the problem is not just perception since they not only look bigger, but they physically rub together now which is driving me crazy >.<

I believe you...I add muscle quite easily (I'm a woman). This time around losing weight, I purposely do not lift. At some point, I'll add it again to my routine, but not now.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Thanks guys, giving me a lot to think about. I appreciate it!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    It bulks me up to. I'm one of those freaks that gets big from lifting. I put on muscle like a crazy person. I had big muscles when I was 10.

Some girls just have genetics to put on muscle really quickly. About 3 weeks ago I started lifting because I bought into the belief that girls don't get bulky and I already have started to get bigger. I'm quitting lifting and going back to body resistance exercises. It worked much better for my body type.

It is very rare for anyone to have that type of genetics, perhaps it just happened that you're one of them but for the vast majority its a different case. Anyway body resistance or weight lifting both works wonders for our muscles.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It's simples.

You added muscle.*

Persevere.

The part in bold.

You did not add muscle in two weeks hun, I'm sorry. You've stressed yourself, and your body is hoarding fluid to cope.

Also, HEAVY lifting doesn't bulk women up, on a calorie deficit. Light lifting isn't going to either.

If your program was mine to write, I'd put you on a solid full body, 3x a week 5x5 program, with weight you can't lift more than 7x on your first try. I'd cut the cardio to 2x a week tops...and make you do it for a month straight.

With your diet under control...I think you'd be thrilled with your results.

Doing exactly this, have been for 4 months and I am thrilled with the results.

Sass