? to women burning 700+ calories a workout

Options

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If I burn over 700, it's usually either a brisk walk of 7+ miles (I am pushing a stroller 99% of the time), or doing a nice long workout: 20-30 minutes elliptical, 20-25 minutes strength circuit machines (I lift as heavy as I can on the machines with little rest time), then 30-45 minutes of arc trainer. Sometimes I'll burn that much if it's a shorter gym workout and then my c25k run/walk.

I'm at 156 now (sadly..I got off track and gained).
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here! Love it! Running for me burns the most, because I'm in zone 3 for HR (burns most cals but least fat). Definitely have to get the strength training in though, can't go on cardio alone! It's really worked for me :)
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I average between 800-1200 cal workouts, and that's a two hour workout: 1 hour cardio (1/2 hour elliptical, 1/2 hour run), and then an hour doing weights/bodyweight exercises.

I weigh 180lbs.
  • xochi71
    xochi71 Posts: 33
    Options
    Why should we eat our exercise calories? So if I burn 600 calories I should eat an extra 600 for the day? I am really confused about this. I even asked my MFP friends what they thought about that earlier today.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    For me... high resistance on the cross ramp. ( Elliptical on an incline )... for an hour.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    In order for me to burn 700+ calories in one workout I have to get on the Cybex arc trainer or Precor 100i AMT. In an hour on either of those I burn 700 calories. Otherwise I have to do 2 workouts like lifting weights and 30 mins of cardio i.e. walking, Zumba, etc.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Why should we eat our exercise calories? So if I burn 600 calories I should eat an extra 600 for the day? I am really confused about this. I even asked my MFP friends what they thought about that earlier today.
    mfp already sets you up to lose weight whether you decide to work out or not. Therefore, if you exercise, you eat the calories back to keep yourself in a healthy deficit and not rob your body of the fuel it needs to give you those workouts. You want to workout (particularly strength training) so that you can maintain muscle. Muscle burns more at rest, too, so gaining muscle will ultimately help to increase your metabolism overall-giving you more calories per day that you can eat. :)

*you also should exercise for a healthy heart and healthy lifestyle. ;)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I am 121lb, and I burned about 650 in 90 minutes of a 5k @ 6mph, some HIIT, and a killer leg workout..

I wish I could burn that much all of the time, but even when I was religiously doing P90X in combination with long walks on the trails, I wasn't burning more than 500 per day. It can be frustrating when you're close to goal.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yeah MyFitnessPal's calorie trackers are totally messed up - like WAY over estimate anything that would ever make sense. I usually take 2/3 or a half of what it says. Besides, calorie burns are always just guesstimates anyway. Best is to push hard, but not over-do it, and push long (depending on what your aim is - losing or toning, etc).
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I do a longer workout and get over 700 calories:

33 minutes on the elliptical - crossramp at 14 and resistance at 10 (11 if I can handle it)
    30 - 45 minutes of strength
    33 minutes on the ellipitical - crossramp at 12 and resistance at 10

All of that will usually get me a little over 800.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Am close to goal weight of 121lbs (a kilogram away) but its MFP's "estimate" for my 95 minutes of swimming (I try to swim as fast as I can without stopping my laps for more than the few seconds of defogging my goggles), so yeah... not sure if the burn is truly that high. This morning, it said 888 cals.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on your weight- a 150 lb person uses much less energy to move than a 250 lb person.

I weigh 125-128 and getting in 300-400 cals on a regular workout is great for me, but for someone heavier it would be a walk in the park

Yeah I agree.

And that day I did 800 calories, it was multiple hours and sessions! :laugh: I only did it once because that night I thought I was going to die!!!!

This! It definately does depend on your weight (and duration) I weigh about 132lbs and can burn close to 600 cals after an hour of cardio. The most I've burned in spin class was 567.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    Swimming. Am close to goal weight of 121lbs (a kilogram away) but its MFP's "estimate" for my 95 minutes of swimming (I try to swim as fast as I can without stopping my laps for more than the few seconds of defogging my goggles), so yeah... not sure if the burn is truly that high. This morning, it said 888 cals.

definitely this! you burn A LOT of calories swimming. but you also gain a lot of muscle, so you may actually put on weight instead of lose it (I gained 20 pounds when I joined a swim team in high school)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and he works me high intensity. Here's a typical workout, hope it helps!
    10 minute warm up, either quick on elliptical or running on treadmill
    Do 1 minute intervals of each:
    Squats
    push-ups
    chest press (I use 15 lb weights) on stability ball
    shoulder press on stability ball
    Tricep press (use the edge of a bench, hands on bench, use arms to lower yourself while in a sitting position)
    2 minute rest
    sumo squats
    walking lunges - 2 minutes of this
    jumping jacks
    bicycle crunches
    1/2 plank
    2 minute rest
    repeat circuits 1 and 2 at 30 sec intervals instead of at 1 minute
    1 minute sprints at 6.5-7 (run 1 full minute, walk 1 minute, repeat about 5x)
    I'll often run a mile after my sprints

Good luck!

You know, that's a nice workout there. I might steal this for days I want to switch it up. :)
  • preussen101
    preussen101 Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump! :D
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been about 230 give or take a few pounds for a while (hoping to end that soon). I use a Polar FT4 to count calories burned and it definitely helps.

I took a 60 min zumba class last week for the first time and burned 700+ calories before the cool down song. My heart rate was also hovering around 180-190 the entire class. I plan on adding more zumba to my routines. :-)

Otherwise in an average gym session I burn about 500 calories using the equipment (treadmill, stairclimber, etc)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am a lightweight (109) so it's difficult to burn that many calories. My favorite thing is just hiking and with just body weight it would take 4.5 hours of an average of 3.0 mph walk to burn more 700 calories. However, if I throw on a pack of 40 lbs, I can have the same burn in 3.5 hours.

I tend to walk much faster than 3.0 mph, as the dogs heel better when I walk faster. I've also been throwing in some jogging and some sprints in those walks, but it's still incredibly rare for me to burn more than 700 calories with dileberate exercise.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    It is NOT easy to burn 700 calories. With that said, I am 5'2" 115 lbs.

I have a Polar FT4 for a HRM.

Last Sunday I burned 1023 calories for running 10.3 miles, 112 minutes (That is 1 hour 52 minutes/10 minutes 87 seconds per mile). That is not including my cool down walk & stretches.

You can easily burn 700 calories on an arc trainer. Use interval. Don't skimp on the resistance & incline level. Push yourself. For example, when I am on an arc trainer with a 15 max incline & 100 max resistance. I do a HIIT between 10-15 incline & 50-75-100 resistance. That is 1k calories plus burned in one hour. :)

Weight lifting. A friend of mind recommended this website which calculate how much an individual burn during weight training. http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Insanity, Kick Boxing, or a mix of diff workouts. Like tomorrow for instance, I'll burn 1500 cals (about) with a 60 minute walk to my gym, after which I'll run for about 30 minutes and quick walk in between 2 minutes, then swim for 45 minutes, and finally end it with a kickboxing class. It's hard work but also lots of fun! :D But Zumba is still my all time favorite! :heart: I can easily burn 500 cals in an hour and I take hour and a half classes which brings me up to about 700 cals. Gotta love it! :D
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    4 hour workouts.

Usually on the weekends my family and I go for a walk or a bike ride or something. Last weekend we were out for 4 hours and 15 minutes and we were moving for about 3 hours and 15 minutes of that. We walked along the river until we found a little imbiss that sounded tasty, had a wurstchen and a drink, fed the little one (still on baby food) then turned around and walked home. Fantastic if you have the time. Bike riding is even better.