oatmeal...good or bad ?

Options

Replies

• redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    I eat oatmeal i love it with honey but I have to have the right consistency not to pasty and not to runny. they say it helps to eat it for weight loss1175p28.jpg
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    Bad!! Oatmeal has carbs and carbs make you fat! You know what else makes you fat? Fat! So don't eat fat. Or fruit. Fruit has sugar and sugar makes you fat. So don't eat fruit or oatmeal or peanut butter or vegetables. That's the only way you'll get skinny.

You-Best-Be-Joking.jpg
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I cannot eat oats as they seem to affect my belly horribly, giving me bad bloat, tummy cramping, and gas. It is really annoying as I do like oatmeal.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    i eat oatmeal every day.

So do, I love it! I don't get hungry for at least 2 or 3 hours post oatmeal.
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    Sadly, I cannot eat oats as they seem to affect my belly horribly, giving me bad bloat, tummy cramping, and gas. It is really annoying as I do like oatmeal.

That's a pity. Do wheat based cereals have the same effect on you?
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    Oatmeal for breakfast is very good for our mental health it helps restore the serotonin in the brain which keeps us balanced and helps maintain our well-being. Red berries, like strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, cinnamon, nutmeg and bananas are all good for that feel -good factor our brains need every day! Sleep is the other factor required for mental well- being is restores the serotonin as we sleep.

Well, that explains alot, I suffer with depression..so any improvement in my serotonin is going to be of use. :smile:
  • shrinkingsuccess
    Options
    [qu
    I'm a big fan of proatmeal. Regular oatmeal with a scoop of your favorite protein powder flavor.
    [/quote]

very good idea,, Thanks
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I personally love oatmeal. I mix about 1 cup of cook oatmeal with brown sugar, raisins, and almond slivers. It has slow burn carbs, LOTS of fiber, protein, and the good kind of fat. Overall it is a very balanced breakfast.
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day ...today I tried "refrigerator oatmeal" wasn't a fan, but maybe because I used plain greek yogurt?

I love refrigerator overnight oatmeal! I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt in mine too, I just add some flavored protein powder mixed with water to it, spices, and fruit which all help add flavor.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The Masses Have spoken!

Usual Breakfast for me is 1/3 cup steel cut oats, cup and a half of water, 1/4 cup raisins.
    Pinch of Salt (very important)
    Cinnamon
    Ground Ginger
    Coriander (I know it sounds nuts but)
    Cook for 30/45 minutes on very low.
    Add 1/4 to 1/3 a cup of almond milk.
    You can always add splenda or something but I find the almond milk and the raisins are enough for sweetness.

Delicious.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, and I usually eat Better Oats brand oatmeal. I love the cinnamon plum flavor, and their apple cinnamon oatmeal is really nummy too! They have flax seeds in it, so the texture is interesting and the flavors are subtle and rich.

I've lost weight consistently, so the oatmeal hasn't killed me yet. Given my family history of cholesterol and heart disease problems, any cholesterol calming foods I enjoy are bonus for me.
  • krazykristen123
    krazykristen123 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i eat oatmeal every day.

Me too.
    Same here
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

That's a pity. Do wheat based cereals have the same effect on you?

Yes, but to a lesser degree. I dont get the bad cramping that I do with oats. I remember once eating several oat bars and boy did I have a bellyache.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat it every morn!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Bad!! Oatmeal has carbs and carbs make you fat! You know what else makes you fat? Fat! So don't eat fat. Or fruit. Fruit has sugar and sugar makes you fat. So don't eat fruit or oatmeal or peanut butter or vegetables. That's the only way you'll get skinny.

You-Best-Be-Joking.jpg

lmao!!!

Thanks for the laugh, and the cute picture!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I eat the sugar-free maple & brown sugar oatmeal at least 3x/week....I also add in 2tbsp each of Wheat Germ & Ground Flaxeed to get some extra nutrients in there....It keeps me full for a long time.....Love it!!

ETA: I also put a little cinnamon in there as well...Yummy! :)
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The trick I've found with oatmeal... keep it natural. Get away from the boxes and packages and such. If you don't want to eat before you leave the house, cook some and take it in a bowl. Oatmeal is reheatable with a little water.

A couple people here have mentioned almond milk, almonds, real sugar, etc. Just make sure its natural and your body will know how to digest it.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    don't eat any instant oatmeal - it will make you hungrier (all the work digesting has been done by boiling it and dehydrating it before it is packages - you have to make your gut work for your food).
    I buy the big tub of quaker oats and put it in PB jars for work.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It's naughty.
    Bad, bad, naughty oatmeal...
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 cup water every. single. morning.... 217 lbs to 128 lbs.