No Open Diary

Options
14567810»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This is a great site for support, but in NO WAY is it absolutely necessary to open your food diary to thousands of people who aren't experts when you don't really need or want advice.

Accountability is for MYSELF, not for criticism of others.

Also consider that lots of people are on a variety of different diet plans. Vegeterians, vegans, low-carbers, people with high caloric intakes. They don't need commentary from people who don't follow their personal nutritional needs.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Mine has been open and closed at various times. I closed it to the public last week when someone said in a thread I had no business giving advice when I regularly ate 1,100 calories of chocolate and yogurt. Not true, but she was tryin to discredit me based on my diary. I closed it except to friends, and my friends do not give unsolicited advice.

Thanks for reminding me to block you
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If I open up my diary I'm inviting comments. If I keep it closed I don't want them. I turned off the "under calorie goal" alert because I didn't want comments about it. Sometimes I don't log everything; sometimes I inadvertently hit the "complete entry" button when I've only logged half a day's worth of food. Personally I feel it's up to the individual. If someone asks for comments I will, otherwise I assume, like me, they don't want comments.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My dairy is not open and anyway I didn't come on here to be accountable to other people but more of being accountable to myself. Also if someone put great job logging could be directed at logging in general might not mean logging the food that they do not see. I mean getting on here and logging is a big accomplishment for some any way. Plus if it is working for them and they are seeing progress then awesome. My dairy has been open before and now its closed. One more thing you can log in whatever you want if I dont see you face to face who says you are even losing the wieght you say you are on here. It is not my place to judge anyones diary or whatever. Just be accountable to yourself and then its easier being accountable to others.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is a great site for support, but in NO WAY is it absolutely necessary to open your food diary to thousands of people who aren't experts when you don't really need or want advice.

Accountability is for MYSELF, not for criticism of others.

Also consider that lots of people are on a variety of different diet plans. Vegeterians, vegans, low-carbers, people with high caloric intakes. They don't need commentary from people who don't follow their personal nutritional needs.

Really well said. I keep my diary for my own benefit, the message boards are for advice/discussion when I need it.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've recently opened it up to my friends, and that was a big enough step for me. I used to sneak and hide what I was eating, and I've done very well being accountable to myself, logging everything, including the bad days. Opening it up to my friends was sort of the next step in my mind to put that past in the past.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    blah blah blah blah blah
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. Simples lol
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP,

I would go back to focusing on your own journey rather than worrying about this.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Because what I do or don't eat is my business. I don't have to be accountable for anyone but myself. If I'm eating like crap and not losing weight it's only affecting me. My diary is my own, nobody should feel entitled to its contents.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Everyone has their reasons. If I have friends with a locked diary, I just say "Hope it was a healthy day" or "Hope it was a good day" or "great consistency with your logging". I think that provides some encouragement without congratulating for something I have no data on. That's just me.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree totally with this. I do the same...look at other's diaries for ideas and just to know what is working (for them).
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with someone having a closed diary, but I don't understand why people comment on them as if they could see the diary. "Great job!" when you have no idea how their day actually went is just... idiotic? I'll never do it.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I vent.........

Why is it that people make positive comments under people who refuse to open up their diary?
    They say things like great job logging today, how do they know????

For me, MFP is all about accountability and if you have to hide your diary, you're not allowing yourself to be held accountable.
    We all mess up from time to time and we are all trying to retrain our minds but come on folks, be accountable for your actions.

I can not and WILL NOT be supportive of somebody who is hiding something from me.

You can finish your diary under goal for the day while eating fried chicken, pizza and cotton candy but if I can't see that, how can I help you by making suggestions of healthier options.

Friends don't lock the door on their true friends and those who lock the door on me will eventually see my name disappear from their friends list.

That may seem harsh but I'm here to be supportive. I have far too many friends who will let me to waste my time on someone who's unwilling to open up.

Ok I'm done, let the firestorm begin. Be gentle (LOL)

You're still fairly new to MFP. I asked the same question when I had only been here for a few months as well. The answer I was given is that no one is soliciting criticism by completing their diary. Being their MFP, you were sought out to be supportive despite someone not having a stellar day. Everyone is here for a reason and that is to get healthy, get support and do the best they can. Why beat them up on their diary when they probably already feel bad anyway? Offering a friendly comment here and there is not hurting anyone.
  • shanchamber
    shanchamber Posts: 29
    Options
    I think the person who started this thread is one of those people who posts pictures of his kid's ****ty diapers on facebook and solicits content on consistency and color.

Time to add a new vocabulary word: OVERSHARE.