Worst advice given to you by a "professional"

Options

Replies

• tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me that I should way 120lbs. I am 5'10 with a large bone structure. I told her that would put me in the underweight BMI for my height and she just looked at me and said, "But you'd look great." I immediately changed doctors.

I had a nutritionist put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet. I weighed 355 at the time. After six weeks, I went to my doctor and she told me that I was so sick because I was anemic and starving my body.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had very severe problems with my last pregnancy, it was not normal in anyway. I went to a visit with my doc one day because I was in a lot of pain, so much so that if you even touched my stomach I would scream. My doctors response was that the reason I was having these pains was because at 24 I had a "old uterus"!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I saw an idiot trainer a couple of weeks ago, who told me the routine I had made up for myself which included cardio & weights was counterproductive (you know, the same routine I've managed to loose my 10 pounds and however many inches on, and build the muscle that I've now got), and that I wouldn't be able to loose more than 10 pounds a month (yes, a month - which I NEVER indicated I wanted to do) without his help.

Best part? He had no clue what BMR was. He says "BMI? Oh yeah. Your BMI is high".

*facepalm*
  • Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    12 Years ago I took a hard fall on a ship riding the edge of a hurricane (thank you Navy). Slammed both knees onto a sharp edged scuttle. I was told for 12 years it's just tendonitis go take Motrin. FInally 2 years ago I ran and my right new blew up so big it was 3 times its normal size. Went to a sports clinic, oh you have moderate osteotarthritis in both knees with a condition where a gland in the knee capsule produces additional calcium deposits. You will kneed full knee replacement surgery in about 15 years. I am 32 years old, with a high threshold for pain. I was taking 1600 mg of Motrin. They have now switched me to Mobic. Still monitoring my knees.

Weight loss advice. I was told to cut out all Carbs. After the first workout, almost passing out, I went home and had a peanut butter sandwich and felt way better.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Or even better while I was in labor "Go home, come back later, you need to hurt more". I went home and had my daughter at home, great doc that was!

My mother delivered me 30 minutes after she got to the hospital. 5 years later she went to the hospital in labor with my brother. They *tried* to send her home even after she told them she had a history of quick labors. Dr confirmed that she needed to stay. Nurse checked her dilation and turned to chart, my mother grunted and asked the nurse to check again. Nurse says ( without turning around) I just checked you honey...then turns around and my brother was delivered to the shoulder and looking at her :)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Back in the dark ages when I was a teenager and looking to lose weight my family Dr. gave me diet pills. They didn't help me lose weight, but .... Whhhhheeeeee!!!!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In February I was told by my doctor that there was no way I was going to lose weight they way I was (which is pretty much what I am doing now STILL) At the time I had lost 16lbs...I think what I am doing is working...

He wanted me to work out 90 minutes a day EVERY DAY
    Two days of straight cardio

And just for S and G's I suppose try and fit in a vacation for JUST myself atleast TWO times a year because I am a tired overworked mom (Um...Thanks?)...This household has one income (my husband) and three boys to take care of and his suggestion was so place warm (I live in Iowa) like Florida...Not going back to him....
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My OB's nurse told me to to start the Atkins diet (during my pregnancy) when I was half way through my pregnancy.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Everything Dr.OZ has ever said.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

Damn....Wish I'd thought of that.
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "here, let me give you a prescription for these phentermine pills" - yeah i lost 20 lbs - then gained 30 when i stopped taking them.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Phen Phen... until I passed out and quit taking it.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    Couple years ago I was having a hard time breathing. To the point where I almost could not breathe and I was terrified.
    My mom took me to the hospital. I was trying to find out what might have triggered this and realized I was on my hands and knees scrubbing out my pig barn with bleach the day before. I know.. I know haha but I had to remember everything I had done in case the doctor needed to know.

When I mentioned to my "doctor" that I got in the ER that I was not sure if the bleach had damaged my lungs or something, he, without having a second thought, rolls his eyes and starts to tell me, "No, it was not the bleach. You could drink bleach if you wanted to."

:huh:
    so..... was this the "OK!" to drink bleach?
    because I totally always wanted to

:grumble:
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was told by a fitness trainer at a nationally recognized gym that it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you work out regularly. As a f'rinstance, he told me ate half a pie that morning for breakfast. Even if he had a flat stomach, his advice would have come across as poppycock.

this is my dad's thinking 100% "stop worrying about your food, if you're working out you're fine, just work it all off" no. dad. no.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    "its suposed to hurt when you exercise right, that how you know your doing it right!"
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Damn....Wish I'd thought of that.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I was asking my doctor if my daily dizzy spells and other problems could have anything to do with me being underweight and that I was working on gaining the weight. He told me... "No, You know how we mississippians just think everybody should have some meat on their bones. You look healthy."

...yeah... ok doc. =/ Considering I just told you my bmi was underweight... This was a couple years ago. He kept encouraging me to not worry about my weight. I haven't been to him since. He also is the same doctor that chalked some problems my mom was having up to 'female issues' and didn't do much. She ended up having to go to the hospital a few weeks later for the same stuff..
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine purchased training sessions at a local gym. Her trainer was of course fit and good looking. The first couple of training sessions went well, but she stopped going after 3 sessions even though she purchased 5. She told me later that her trainer told her shouldn't worry about losing weight because he liked thick women.

For me, my doctor recently told me I had a body built for diabetes. I asked her what she suggested and she handed me about 5 pamplets on nutrition and that was it. I feel like a co-pay only. I'm still not sure what she meant about my body either aside from knowing that I'm overweight at the moment, but not diabetic.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    When I brought up Phentermine to the Dr, she told me that losing 10 pounds in 3 months was an ok rate (I am morbidly obese, mind you), gave me zero help or advise on weightloss and sent me down the hall to her friend who tried to sell me a weightloss product.

I complained and I really hope she was disciplined for that. She should have just given me the damn amphetemines and sent me on my fat way.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my son I started itching, but a doctor told me it was PUPPPS (a skin condition you get when you're pregnant). After 2 weeks of scratching myself to bleeding and crying I went to the ER.... the ER doc came in for 2 seconds and told me I had some problem I can't even remember to pronounce. I asked "What's that" and he said "see the redness around your eyes?" I said "No, that's from me crying because I ITCH so bad! When I cry I get a raccoon mask."

"Oh. Well, then, it's scabies."

And it was.

Took 6 weeks to stop itching after the treatment.

And every doctor and nurse I saw after that made me feel SUPER self conscious every time they saw my skin. "What are these holes in your body?" .... scabies... "Was it treated?"... yes... "Is it active?" no... "Well you should get it checked, it looks like a flesh-eating virus."

:(

It wasn't.