What Dog Owners Do...

Options
PANZERIA
PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

I am a dog trainer and I have been working with and rehabilitating dogs for several years now. I have rehabilitated and re-homed a number of dogs, so it really drives me nuts when I get stupid questions from clients who don't do their research BEFORE taking home that adorable little puppy in the window.

Here are questions/situations that drive me crazy:

Q: When do I start training my new puppy?
A: As soon as you walk through the door of your house.

Client: My little dog jumping up on me is so cute, and I love it when he/she rushes to the door to greet me when I walk in! But I wish he would calm down the rest of the time...
Me: ...Srsly?

Q: How do I discipline my little chihuahua/other small canine?
A: Exactly the same way as if he were a 100lb german shepherd.
Q: BUT I DON'T WANT TO HURT HIM.
A: ...Are you trying to actually hurt, or are you trying to discipline? Discipline: no hurt. Abusing: Hurting.

Client: My dog always pulls on the leash. I tried it your way for a couple of walks (light corrections and treats whenever they pay attention), but it didn't work. So I just went out and bought a prong collar...and it still doesn't work!

Client: I'm afraid of my neighbors' pit bull! You should test it and put it down!

And so on and so forth. My main clients are the ones with larger dogs (because they pose a real danger if not trained properly), but it's definitely the people with small dogs who have no clue on how to train them or know how their small dog is SUPPOSED to behave.

In short: DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE GETTING A DOG, PEOPLE!

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    We have our Rotti pup in his third level of training now. Prong collars do help, but there are certain ways in which to use them. Obviously you're aware of that, but most people just think "Yes, it's on he can pull as much as wants, he'll learn." It sooo doesn't work that way.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree! I work at a vet hospital and I see it on a daily basis.... It`s disgusting.... keep on doing the great work you do!
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have the BEST retriever and the BEST chihuahua EVAH!!! big and small they both listen like champs. Take them everywhere and anywhere. :) Yay for well trained dogs!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    True!
  • PANZERIA
    Options
    We have our Rotti pup in his third level of training now. Prong collars do help, but there are certain ways in which to use them. Obviously you're aware of that, but most people just think "Yes, it's on he can pull as much as wants, he'll learn." It sooo doesn't work that way.

I'm not completely against prong collars. My first labrador retriever had to have one - nothing else worked. The way I see it: if it works for you, your dog is easier to control, AND you're using it properly, then hey, go for it.

But yes...the pulling thing drives me NUTS! And then they're shocked when it 'magically' doesn't work. It works for some dogs, but if the dog is still pulling, STOP FREAKING USING IT!!!!! It's just going to injure the poor thing!
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is so well informed. Considering the fact that you're a dog trainer, it's kind of your job to expect andanswer these questions. Especially to new dog owners who haven't the slightest idea.
  • PANZERIA
    Options
    I 100% agree! I work at a vet hospital and I see it on a daily basis.... It`s disgusting.... keep on doing the great work you do!

I could NEVER work at a vet hospital!!!! =( =( At least when I work with dogs, they're healthy(ish...on the outside, lol). You have to have a pretty strong spine to work at a vet hospital. =) Keep doing the great work you do too!!!!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs. 2 of them are getting up there in age and both have arthritis so walking them is getting rough on them.

My youngin' is a pit. I don't even use a regular collar. I use a harness. I had issues walking him, pulling on his collar only choked him. Why the hell would I want to choke my dog??? As soon as I got a harness, my issues with walking him were gone.

Those poky/spikey collars piss me off.

I am a firm believer that the stigma with pits is BS. It's all in how you raise them. Mine is the equivalent of scooby doo. A big dumb cuddely loveable bear!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Amen! My when I come home from anywhere, my heelers are sitting at the door with toys in their mouths... Wiggling their tails of course. Leash training my pup is a tad bit frustrating, but... I'm going to keep working on it, because she's getting better!!! :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    Not everyone is so well informed. Considering the fact that you're a dog trainer, it's kind of your job to expect andanswer these questions. Especially to new dog owners who haven't the slightest idea.

Which is why, this: In short: DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE GETTING A DOG, PEOPLE! was said.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate this and understand it; please remember no one is a perfect pet owner/parent just as there no perfect parents to humans. We all make mistakes, we all get frustrated but if we are presented with PATIENT AND UNDERSTANDING, trained people when seeking help we can get a lot further. Research can only get you so far. No 2 dogs of the same breed are exactly alike. You can read all you want; doesn't mean you have knowledge.
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, about the pulling...I have a ~50 lb lab mix who is sometimes really pull-y. We tried training her with treats to walk beside us, but she'll do it for a bit, then take off ahead. Come back for a treat, repeat. Any suggestions?
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

I am a firm believer that the stigma with pits is BS. It's all in how you raise them. Mine is the equivalent of scooby doo. A big dumb cuddely loveable bear!

They shouldn't piss you off. They're meant for bigger dogs (and mine being a Rotti has a VERY high pain tolerance) they're not meant to abuse, they're meant to discipline.

And yes, the stigma about pits is stupid. Every single one I've met has been a freaking sweetheart.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ive been working with animals for 15 yrs- i dont agree with prongs or chain collars unless you know how to use them correctly. i tell people all the time buy a gentle lead first. those things are amazing!!!!
    i worked in mostly shelters and people all the time came in wanting a dog and not researching the types of breeds they really want. gotta look at what you are willing to committe first. and grooming so many people dont realize how often some dogs require to be groomed- yea that toy poodle is cute but are you willing to pay out of pocket every 6 to 8 weeks to keep the fur trimmed or are you up for daily brushings to keep it from matting inbetween.
    another note- im currently workin at a vets and little dogs are horrible and its because the owners refuse to properly train them because theyre little- i say fudge that- begin training them to be held and restraint asap this goes for large dogs too.
    and cats theyre a different story
  • PANZERIA
    Options

But they should be! If you bring an animal into your house, especially one as intelligent, sensitive, and social as a dog, they NEED to do research beforehand! If they don't, THEN I have to come in and reverse the damage. I just recently had to have a seized dog put down because it was too aggressive to handle. That was the first time in my entire dog-training career that I've had to make that call. Usually with the support from the family and enough training, they can change...this one was too far gone, and I just didn't have the facility for her. That was really hard...and completely not the dogs fault, but the owners'

I suppose my main point is some of my clients call me in, listen to me for an hour...and then go right back to their bad habits because mine are 'too hard'. Yes. Because your way worked so much better, lol.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs. 2 of them are getting up there in age and both have arthritis so walking them is getting rough on them.

My youngin' is a pit. I don't even use a regular collar. I use a harness. I had issues walking him, pulling on his collar only choked him. Why the hell would I want to choke my dog??? As soon as I got a harness, my issues with walking him were gone.

Pit bulls are such amazing dogs! Ban bad owners. Not the dogs. I live in New Mexico where the pittie population is given the worst stigma. It saddens me. I volunteered with the Humane Society and it would pain me to see all the older pits who would stay another day in their kennels- not knowing if they'd get a forever home.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    try a gentle lead- its similar to a horse harness it controls the head with out being like a muzzle
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    ive been working with animals for 15 yrs- i dont agree with prongs or chain collars unless you know how to use them correctly. i tell people all the time buy a gentle lead first. those things are amazing!!!!
    i worked in mostly shelters and people all the time came in wanting a dog and not researching the types of breeds they really want. gotta look at what you are willing to committe first. and grooming so many people dont realize how often some dogs require to be groomed- yea that toy poodle is cute but are you willing to pay out of pocket every 6 to 8 weeks to keep the fur trimmed or are you up for daily brushings to keep it from matting inbetween.
    another note- im currently workin at a vets and little dogs are horrible and its because the owners refuse to properly train them because theyre little- i say fudge that- begin training them to be held and restraint asap this goes for large dogs too.
    and cats theyre a different story

We've been working with our pup since the day we got him. We sing this song we created called "Pieces and parts" at least once a day, and pick him up, touch his teeth, mouth, ears, toes, legs, genitals everything; so he'll be good when he's at the vet.

This is so lame, now that I've re-read what I wrote lol.
  • PANZERIA
    Options
    I have the BEST retriever and the BEST chihuahua EVAH!!! big and small they both listen like champs. Take them everywhere and anywhere. :) Yay for well trained dogs!

Aww yay!!!! =D =D =D I love that.

I've got a 100lb german shepherd, a border collie, and a poodle/terrier cross. Love the big to small ratio...and they are all treated the same! YAY FOR TRAINING!!! Well done with your dogs. =)
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options

I'm not completely against prong collars. My first labrador retriever had to have one - nothing else worked. The way I see it: if it works for you, your dog is easier to control, AND you're using it properly, then hey, go for it.

But yes...the pulling thing drives me NUTS! And then they're shocked when it 'magically' doesn't work. It works for some dogs, but if the dog is still pulling, STOP FREAKING USING IT!!!!! It's just going to injure the poor thing!

I love the prong collar. I have an 80 lb German Shepherd and she is still a puppy. She can pull me on walks but not with the prong collar. We have used it for about 5 months, and now, we don't have to put it on her because she learned from the prong collar. She is great and walks right next to me.