Genetics-- is that why you're overweight?

Options
12346»

Replies

• sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Gene probably play at least a partial role..in that they will dictate how our body stores fat and what not... but I wonder if its actually genes causing obesity... or learned behaviors (over eating, not exercising). I find that to be the bigger contributing factor... barring a medical condition.. it's your habits that are going to make you gain weight... your genes are just going to dictate how quickly it happens and where it goes
    ^^^This^^^

I would add the possibility that all the processed, pre-made foods in today's diet contribute as well...there is sooo much more crap added to our food than when my parents were younger....

Oh, absolutely the processed foods problem is a huge issue that people like to look over, but it's important. It's out of control for the most part in western society so we sometimes have to learn to deal or live around it...but fun fact: the US and Canada are the only places now which do not even label processed foods whereas many other countries have already BANNED them altogether. When you eat "clean" and go to the grocery store, the vegetables and meats you buy...have been genetically altered. I mean, that is not the sole reason for the obesity epidemic in America, but it contributes, even to other issues. TMI, but this is why girls in the past few generations are starting to get their periods around 8-10. Meanwhile, we have found ways to extend the human life, but are adapting badly because of these other components. When a species finds a way to extend the life span, they are not supposed to age more quickly...if this occurrence were based on us being healthier and having available cures for diseases and ailments, we would actually be aging more slowly to adapt. It's unnatural.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had a gene test done a couple of years ago which gave me risk factors for 2 dozen different diseases. I am apparently high risk for obesity (duh!) and 60% of it is genetics, 40% environmental.

This was not totally surprising given my family history. My dad has always been active, plays tennis 5 days a week even at 65, but he's always been 5-10% above the healthy weight range for his height (sometimes even more, but he's always managed to cut down). Many other people in my family are above healthy weight ranges, but many are also not.

My takeaway was that 40% is still in my hands. I will probably never be skinny or an athlete, but I can hover around in the upper quarter of a healthy weight range (2.5 kg to go to get there!!).
  • schalka
    schalka Posts: 57
    Options
    I definately think its genetics but doesnt mean u cant fight it :) most of my family is very large especially on my fathers side =huge boobs, skinny chicken legs, huge bellys and cheeks lol moms side= round squishy mid sections also bug o butts hahaaha i got native american flat bootie, big boobies and when i gain weight its always only mid section and face. :laugh: But im trying my best to not have the shapes of most the rest of my family members. So far im down 38lbs and when some of my family saw me they said i was getting too skinny :huh: im 5'7 and 193 so i still got a long wayyy to "skinny" but as long as i keep fighting these genetics, ill get there eventually :wink:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

Agreed. You may have chunky thighs or a big butt because of genetics, but you are not obese because of genetics. You're obese because you have poor eating and exercise habits.

This is just what we needed ... another excuse for people to stay unhealthy.

This... Being a mesomorph I can attest to that. Yep I discovered that I have the "ideal" genetics when I was assessed in a gym for the first time however I didn't had the ideal body simply because I neglected my diet & exercise. My family have Hispanic (Mexican & Spanish to be exact) & Asian (Filipino) background however I got most of my genes including my medium framed, bottom heavy body from my Hispanic side of family which is why no matter what I do, I would never look like a fashion model or a lot of Asian actresses simply because my body doesn't allow it. However that isn't the reason why I became obese. I became big because of my sedentary lifestyle & poor diet.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, which is why I both gained and have been unable to lose weight until getting my diagnosis, even in a calorie deficit. I needed totally change HOW I ate. I think PCOS can be genetic, so yes, genetics has contributed.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What's that saying? "if you want to know how your wife/girl is going to look when when shes older just look at her mother"

I agree with some of the previous statements--genetics may have an influence on body type and where you store the extra fat. But it wasn't my mother force feeding me Big Macs...that was me. All me. And when my fat *kitten* started to look like my mothers I decided enough was enough!! No more.

Fortunately for my daughter she looks NOTHING like me or my side of the family--so maybe I might get to meet her future boyfriends.
  • Aloxander
    Aloxander Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

I was blessed with the body frame of the women on my dad's side: very proportionate, small framed women who gain weight extremely evenly. I can weigh 15lbs more than my sister (and she's 4 inches taller than I am) and appear to be the same clothing size.

The actual physical gaining of the weight, however, is due to what you're putting in your mouth and how much or how little you're moving around. Now, if your family has always had poor eating habits and you gained weight just like the rest of them (or they had healthy eating habits and you remained in good shape like the rest of them) then it's not just your genes, it's the poor (or great) eating habits you learned from your family.

I agree to every single word you say! This is so true :wink:
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think genetics can make you have to work harder. I think family influence is what affects your eating and habits.

I don't believe in genetics or medical reasons until someone has tried eating healthy and frequent exercise for a month. At that point they should seek medical help rather than wait to gain another 100 lbs.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Watched Weight of the Nation on HBO last night.
    Ah, the White House propaganda series? Yeah...
  • Gergal73
    Gergal73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Genetics do play a part for some folks. I am a Type 1 Diabetic and was diagnosed with the disease at 2 years old. Because of the hormones (insulin) I have had to take for the past 36 years to control the disease, it has caused extra weight and has made it extremely difficult to lose. Also, genetically speaking, my thyroid is shot and does not work anymore. Therefore, I have an extrememly low metabolism without medication. Adjusting both genetic problems is very tricky. I very, very rarely eat sugar and have always been on an extremely low carbohydrate intake due to the diseases. I have to work hard to lose and I'm doing so, but it comes at great cost. People who think that the only reason one becomes overweight is because they pig out on fast food and sugar aren't always correct.. There are a whole host of other reasons, including genetics that can lead to weight gain. Cheers all! :smile:
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I believe that genetics can play a small role. But I also believe some of it is because typically both parents work outside the home now, and 9-5 isn't the typical shift. Growing up, my dad worked until 4 and my mom worked the night shift. On the nights she was home we'd have a great, healthy home cooked meal. But the nights dad was home, if it was home made, it was processed, but it was typically take out. After a few years of that, that's all you get to know. So when you go out in the real world on your own, what are you going to know? I'm 29 years old and STILL trying to fight that instinct, which was learned from my father. And the way he grew up, his mom was a SAHM who had all their meals ready for them when they got home from school/work.

I could be way off, but that's my take on it.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I believe genetics plays a part of being overweight (metabolism speed and bone structure)... I'm a larger bone range with a slower metabolisim, so is my mom and grandma. Mom got obese, my grandma counted calories and stayed skinny. I got chubby due to what I ate and it was usually the same ammount as my tiny friends.
    Lifestyle plays a HUGE role in weight. I've read articles online where most of them say lifestyle plays the largest role in weight and I agree.
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have very dense bones and a wide frame, but I know that I can lose the weight, because I've seen it happening. Certainly if something runs in your family such as thyroid issues or low metabolism, you can gain weight easier than others. But much like every other condition that affects your food intake, you just have to control it. :)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    While I am no longer overweight/obese, I know that genetics do play a factor. If you compare what I eat, to what my oldest step brother eats, and the amount of exercise we both do, you can see that his genetics are designed to help him gain muscle and lose weight fast. He is also very tall, where I am more on the average end. That being said, I believe the number one factors are diet and exercise. I come from a very heavy family, and now I have slimmed down, got in shape, all thanks to watching my diet and exercise
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents are overweight/obese now. But they used to both be thin, and my mom was really thin when she was my age. So no, a lot of mine is learned. I have had trouble losing weight around my stomach area, and I don't know what's up with that, but no, for me, it's not genetics.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Nope the reason is the body is creating a surplus of matierals (typically fat) because you're eating too much.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think some people are predisposed to being a larger size (not necessarily overweight or obese, but carry more body fat or muscle than others). Generally speaking though, if you don't take it in more than your body uses, you can't put on fat.

I like knowing that I'm not "destined" to be fat and that this is really all under my own control.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options

Agreed. You may have chunky thighs or a big butt because of genetics, but you are not obese because of genetics. You're obese because you have poor eating and exercise habits.

This is just what we needed ... another excuse for people to stay unhealthy.

Agreed!