How would you feel if someone said this...

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Between the ages of about 7-10 (right before puberty) my dad would say similar things to me. "You could be a model if you would just lose your potbelly. You are taking after me!"

Obviously, at that age, you don't know how to lose weight. I was an active kid as well. Basically I played outside all day. And then in the evening I was a couch potato...and we had loads of junk food around.

By the time I hit around age 12, I decided to eat somewhat healthier. I think my brain just got sick of sugar or something. My dad's favorite cereal has always been frosted flakes. At some point I started to think sugary cereals were gross and only wanted raisin bran. (Yup seriously) I would make my mom buy me my own cereal and leave the other ones to everyone else. I cut down my soda consumption significantly to around once a week from 1 daily. It wasn't in aims to lose weight. I was just over it. And I didn't lose weight. I was always bigger than my peers. And stronger than most of them.

He didn't make body comments once I got older. In retrospect, I realize my body image could have been a lot more screwed up.

For me this comment is analogous to "but you have such a pretty face" or "you are pretty for a black girl." INSULTING.
    I know it was meant as compliment. And in reality he could have expressed the same thing in a totally different way, like "I am really impressed with your progress, you keep looking more and more pretty/hot/beautiful/whatever! And I can wait to see how hot you will look at goal."

I understand the sentiment, generally speaking people look better when they lose weight. I think that my hang ups about weight manifested themselves in a really different way. I never comment on someone's weight at all. I will comment on an outfit or haircut. One of my friends has lost around 30 pounds since I met her. She didn't really have anything to lose, but she has become a lot leaner and more muscular from going to boot camp. She is super excited about it (obviously). And I want to compliment her on it, but I really hate commenting on other women's appearance since we are judged on it so much. I compromised. I told her that now since her shoulders are so buff, she should wear halters all the time. And I help her pick out clothes to suit her shape. :D
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    So sorry I had to post and run!!!!

To clear things up...this is a friend from school. He is awesome, but not my type haha! And our relationship is in NO way like that.

The conversation started when he was asking about my soon to be ex husband, because I was cheated on, etc whatever, anywho we were talking about the girls he cheated on me with and I said something to the tune of that I know I'm not the best looking, and I sure wasn't 30 lbs ago, but I think I'm pretty lol just a shallow conversation with no actual meaning between the two of us. We were just studying and finishing up some group work.

We are close, and I do value his opinion because sometimes I don't know how I look to other people I went from a size 18 to a size 10. I still have a lot more to lose, and it actually made me feel a little more confident and was definitely motivation to not snack last night

Thanks for everyone's opinions, I honestly didn't know that I would get so many responses! ...or friend requests from guys hahahhaha
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

To clear things up...this is a friend from school. He is awesome, but not my type haha! And our relationship is in NO way like that.

The conversation started when he was asking about my soon to be ex husband, because I was cheated on, etc whatever, anywho we were talking about the girls he cheated on me with and I said something to the tune of that I know I'm not the best looking, and I sure wasn't 30 lbs ago, but I think I'm pretty lol just a shallow conversation with no actual meaning between the two of us. We were just studying and finishing up some group work.

We are close, and I do value his opinion because sometimes I don't know how I look to other people I went from a size 18 to a size 10. I still have a lot more to lose, and it actually made me feel a little more confident and was definitely motivation to not snack last night

Thanks for everyone's opinions, I honestly didn't know that I would get so many responses! ...or friend requests from guys hahahhaha

Well, I was already your friend, and I'm proud of you girly...you're doing it...on both the fitness and the 'other' count...and we BOTH know how hard those are alone, much less together :).
  • ginny1214
    Options

Well, I was already your friend, and I'm proud of you girly...you're doing it...on both the fitness and the 'other' count...and we BOTH know how hard those are alone, much less together :).

Thanks Cris! :) You're lookin' good by the way!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    P.S. This "guy" has become a close friend of mine over the past 6 months. He recently got back from serving a tour in Iraq, we talk about everything and anything. I value his compliment, however I just really didn't know how to take it. It had me thinking and thinking.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    wow what a backhanded compliment lol. so when youre "hot" and hes hitting on you, make sure to turn the tables on him please. haha
  • HungerHurts
    HungerHurts Posts: 16
    Options
  • melpmusic
    melpmusic Posts: 11
    Options
    I was a chubby kid when I was younger and everyone always said that I had a pretty face. My mom used to say "if you lose some weight you would be such a pretty girl"
    That comment still haunts and motivates me to this day. People sometimes don't know how to filter what they really mean to say when it's a delicate topic.

this guy probably likes you and was trying to hit on you, but failed with his backwards compliment.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was with a study buddy. He told me, "Don't take this the wrong way...you are beautiful, as soon as you lose the rest of your weight you're going to be SO hot! I'm going to look at you and be like damn girl..."
    I was like uh thanks hahahha
    I guess it's a compliment? I don't know, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way, yet motivated me.

Brah's gonna try to bone you when you lose the weight. Revenge will be, "Don't take this the wrong way, but no."
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    Ahh. Don't read into it. Definitely came from good intentions :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's a back handed compliment. It's like saying your face is good looking . . . except for your nose. He should have stopped while he was ahead.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    its the exact same as the guys who used to bully me for being fat nd now they're asking me out :huh:
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Yesterday I was with a study buddy. He told me, "Don't take this the wrong way...you are beautiful, as soon as you lose the rest of your weight you're going to be SO hot! I'm going to look at you and be like damn girl..."
    I was like uh thanks hahahha
    I guess it's a compliment? I don't know, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way, yet motivated me.

Best friend tells me this ALL THE TIME.
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    From your pictures I think you are a hotty now...

I agree with this one....

I also agree with someone who said he has no tact....He must be kind of young or inexperienced with how to deal with women..

one thing is for certain you have to admire him for keeping it real...

I have been told that MANY times in highschool...I would get complimented on how cute I was...but I only weighed 130 lbs...so girls would say..if you add some more weight to your boney self..you will be a hottie...

I took it as motivation...Some of those girls see me now and look tore up from the floor up...I just smile and keep it moving

An ex once told me if I gained 10 lbs she would enjoy cuddling with me more. I thought to myself, try not putting your head on my shoulder.
  • shobelitz
    shobelitz Posts: 34
    Options
    that happened to me at the gym. this guy knew i haven't had any boyfriend since birth. he said i was losing weight and he's "100%" sure i will have a boyfriend in no time. i'd like to slap the bejesus out of him after that because even before i was a bit chubby i knew i was um "dateable(? LOL)" but... yeah, there are 3 guys courting me now. -_-. i guess truth hurts? hahaha
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'd be like okay it's fine you don't find me that hot at this moment in time...
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    It's kinda like when people tell me "You look great, you know, for having a kid."

If you can't leave it at "You're beautiful" or "You look great" then just don't say anything. Nobody wants to be complimented with conditions.

I'm sure he wasn't trying to be mean, he honestly probably thought he was giving you a real compliment, but his foot became crammed in his mouth. People should really think before they speak.

THIS. I hate when people tell me "wow, you look so good for having had a baby."
    I'm thinking, "what, if i hadn't had a baby, i'd look like crap??" lol.
    i know they probably mean it in a nice way, but i don't want conditions on how i look good!

To the OP, well, i'm sure he thought he was being nice. Take it as a compliment - he thinks you're beautiful NOW, and as motivation. Good luck :)
  • jsenecal12
    jsenecal12 Posts: 42
    Options
    You could take it two ways. You could decide it's offensive and feel bad about it.. or you could let the bad part go, and think, "You know what, I've been working my butt off and somebody noticed!" Let it motivate you and take only the positive out of it :). Don't dwell on the part that most likely wasn't meant to be hurtful. Keep up your good work and take pride in it like you deserve to!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Probably not the smoothest way to compliment a girl, but you say he's just your study buddy so I guess he doesn't have to be. It is a compliment. He said you're beautiful. And when you lose the rest of your weight you're going to be so hot. It's a compliment. And it doesn't have conditions.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I dunno, thats the kind of thought dude should have left unsaid.

Right now, I am dating and trying to meet someone while my weight is up.This way, I know I will meet someone who will like me for ME, no matter what my weight. The weight loss will be a later bonus! This just seems like the kinda guywho would brush offa girl whowasn't "perfect" yet.

I don't meanto be pessimistic, but it's not a compliment. Maybe he needs to grow up, think things through before he utters them, or something...but it's not cool, in my opinion.