The most annoying 'compliment'?

Options

Replies

• freshprincessx
    freshprincessx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "You can really tell you've lost weight in your face." I get that all the time and it annoys me.
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Options
    There's a Thai restaurant that I go to pretty frequently when I'm home from school, and I know one of the older Thai waiters pretty well because we've been going there for years. The other day when I was in for lunch, I was paying the bill and he walked by and stopped to stare at me. He said, "What have you been doing? You've lost a lot of weight!" I would have been happy with that compliment. However, he put his arms out to the side like an umbrella and waddled a little bit and said "before, you looked like this!".

Gee, thanks.

I'm 5'10'' and my highest weight was around 185, I'm currently down around 155. I know his intentions were good and I appreciate the fact that he noticed the weight loss, but he could have expressed it in a much more eloquent way...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Haha, guys asking me out now after being the ones which used to bully me for being fat :grumble: kindly, **** off!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I get the oh my god, you've lost a 'ton' of weight

thanks for noticing I lost, kick in the pants for thinking I've lost 2000 pounds
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    The most annoying one I've ever gotten was....

"You look so pretty...NOW!"

Wow, thanks Grandma. :grumble:
  • ShesRoyal24
    Options
    "Wow, you lost a lot of weight....are you sick?" wth lol
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    you have such a pretty face!

This is the worst!!
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    "Hey skinny girl"

I know its affectionate...but when it's said to me and innocent bystanders who don't know I am losing weight hear it,
    it makes me look nuts when I smile about it or respond like normal.
  • Starklover
    Starklover Posts: 57
    Options
    I think the most annoying for me is:

You look good, but then you always did...

Okay no! I weigh 200+lbs and have a baby pouch from Hell... I do not "always look good"... rarely ever do I look good... and adding that little "but you always do" to the end just invalidates the effort I have been putting in and the pride I feel and getting a "Hey, you look good!"

Okay I feel better now!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the most obnoxious compliment I got was BEFORE I lost 20lbs... I would mention I was going to the gym or trying to get in shape and people would immediately go "Oh, you're not overweight! You don't need to lose any weight!"

While I appreciate that they were saying I looked fine as I was (140-145lbs at 5'4" with a small bone structure), there was DEFINITELY room for improvement and I had a high body fat percentage since my body frame is on the small side. I look much better now as I maintain between 125-130.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if anybody else had some really annoying 'compliments' that they get from people after some weight loss.

My favourite is 'you're wasting away!' - no. I'm clearly not, am I? I don't know why, but this one really annoys me.
    I just had someone tell me that yesterday! LMAO. I've lost 35lbs and I have 20 more to go so I'm seriously NOT wasting away! Yeah it annoyed me!
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    "All that law school stress getting to you, huh! No time to eat, etc..."

No, I'm not losing weight because of law school stress!!!!! In fact, I am losing weight DESPITE law school stress.
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get annoyed with compliments. :bigsmile:

Hasn't happened yet. :ohwell:

I know you all have worked hard for it. :drinker:

Maybe someday for me?:blushing:

This :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I got compliments my whole life when my self-esteem was suffering. I was thin my whole life and was always given the: You're soooooo skinny/little/tiny blah blah blah... you need to eat... yadda yadda s***

Now that I've got confidence and don't seem to give a f*** no one seems to compliment me anymore. All I ever get are hair flips, a toss of the head, or some crap from someone in a grocery store... some off-handed comment within hearing range. Nice.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    you have such a pretty face!

End discussion
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I find it a back handed compliment when someone tells me "You have lost weight, you are looking good" like I was not "looking good" before? I must have looked like S#it for the past several years.
  • raysmyth
    raysmyth Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    THIS IS THE ULTIMATE WORST!!!! I hate this one. A guy once started calling me "pretty face" i guess as a nickname (a dumb one)..... such a TURN OFF.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    these are funny, i just like for people to notice so nothing has annoyed me.
  • mathgirl
    mathgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "You're so skinny", said in a kind of bitter "I wish I did have that kind of metabolism" way. :P sometimes followed by "you dont need to work out". Ooohhh noo there is nothing called hard work, but all about having the right genes. :) *overbearing sigh*
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with any compliments that I receive. There are a lot of people that don't know exactly what to say, but just the fact that they notice and want to let you know that you are doing a good job makes me feel great. The other day - I had a guy in the kitchen at work (whom I barely know) tell say "you've lost some weight haven't you?" (I've lost almost 50 lbs in the past year) That was all he said, but it made me feel great because I know that I'm making a difference and people are noticing. I get the "skinny girl" comments - I just say - "Skinny is my favorite word these days" I get the "you're wasting away" - I say "Thank you - I'm trying to clone myself with the weight I've lost" Etc.. Compliments are usually meant well - try not to be too sensititve about them, Appreciate them as they are meant. (Except the better in bed comment - I think I would've gotten out my steel toed boots for that one.)