Guiltless pizza? Does such a thing exist!?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Guilt and food should not have anything to do with each other. If eating a particular food leaves to feelings of guilt, then there are much more serious issues to deal with than food choices.

When I want pizza, I eat pizza. I don't understand this crazy obsession with trying to change food into something else.
  • nofatpants4me
    Options
    Agree with the Flatout Flatbread crust. Also the Hungry Girl Flatout Foldits for a little thicker crust.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i make real pizza fit. I have to have it. I've made a few changes that make a big difference. Thin crust is a huge calorie saver over hand tossed everywhere. Go with plain cheese or stick with veggie toppings. My family has to have a meat, so we've switched from pepperoni or sausage to ham. If I've planned my day well I can have two pieces of a large and then I eat a big salad. It's hard to stop at 2 pieces, but I get my pizza.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love pizza! I am so willing to make a healthy version that I can enjoy whenever I want knowing I am taking good care of myself at the same time. Knowing about the process that goes into making many popular delivery options is enough for me to not want to put it in my body- every really. To each there own- but, I understand wanting to find a healthier way to incorporate something you enjoy into a healthy lifestyle. Cheers!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Like a lot have said any pizza can be guilt free. If you eat pizza and then feel guilty and down, and then believe your world is falling down, I may aswell eat a chocolate now and may aswell eat whatever I want and not exercise - the world is about to end. Or, eat the pizza, continue as normal.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel as if perhaps my words may have been misconstrued into people thinking I may have some sort of psychological problem with eating pizza.

May I please note that when I said "guiltless pizza" I meant it more as a funny/general meaning. I wasnt trying to imply I had an issue with food or eating what I like in moderation.

Sorry if that made people upset or annoyed. I really just wanted to some cool recipes for some good pizza I could make that wasnt like DiGiornos or Dominos (which are my weight down falls).

I feel kind of bad for even posting this topic now :(

Thanks to those of you who suggested those recipes, I wrote them all down and will make sure to try them.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    We make a 100% whole wheat pizza every week and I have it down to 110 cals a slice and it's delicious.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We make a 100% whole wheat pizza every week and I have it down to 110 cals a slice and it's delicious.

Wow how do you manage to get it such a low calorie?!
    Thats awesome, share your secret please!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I recommend just getting pizza from your favorite place. Eat it and don't feel guilty about it.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Any pizza is guilt free if it fits your calories.

When I want pizza... I want REAL PIZZA. Thick crust, lots of sauce, lots of cheese, and delicious toppings. If I wanted vegetables on a cracker, I'd have veggies and crackers.

I just can't wrap my mind around pizza-guilt. I have half of a DiGiorno on a regular basis... at least once a week. That's about 800-1000 calories for those four slices, which is just about the same amount I eat for dinner any other night. After exercise, I have about 2000 calories a day to play with, which usually works out to about 300 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, a couple hundred here or there for snacks, so it fits. The only "problem" is that it's high in sodium, but as long as you're not expecting to see a loss on the scale the next day and don't have any health issues that would be aggravated by sodium... not seeing any problems. :smile:

i agree, and disagree. absolutely, as long as you don't have some other health issue (diabetes, hpb, etc), no food should be off limits if it fits your calories for the day. BUT-- some people only have 1200 calories to get through the day, so eating 1000 for dinner would be a very unwise decision. when this is the case, finding a way to "have your cake and eat it too" is far better than simply depriving yourself and being miserable about it, or going "off the wagon", eating your whole day's calories in one sitting, and then feeling guilty about that. i'm from nyc originally, so i LOVE a real pizzeria pizza loaded w/ cheese, sausage, etc.... but since it doesn't always fit my calorie budget, i'm perfectly satisfied making whole wheat pizza dough, loading it w/ lowfat cheese, tomatoes, garlic, and grilled chicken instead.
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've also enjoyed seeing all of the recipes- I'm very interested in the different uses for cauliflower, especially, so thanks for that!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've never felt guilty about eating pizza but I make mine from scratch and use a whole wheat crust, the smallest amount of cheese possible, home made sauce, and more or less a metric ton of veggies.
  • istril
    istril Posts: 11
    Options
    Whenever I eat small portions of "real" foods (aka high calorie pizza) it seems SO hard to get through the day and stay under my calorie goal without getting *hungry*. She's just asking for some tricks to making lower cal pizza. Isn't that what this community is supposed to be about? Why is everyone telling her to just eat real, fattening, pizza in response to asking for help making it healthier?

Anyway, I think the easiest and fastest way to do this is to make tortilla pizzas. They are an absolute staple in my house! SO fast and easy to put together. Plus if you have a toaster oven you can easily make one in there and not heat your whole house up by turning on the oven in the summer.

I have another trick -- a while ago, I tried being vegan for about a month. I would make pizza without cheese. Now don't get me wrong, I love that melty cheese on pizza, but the vegan pizzas I made really WERE delicious in their own right and so low cal.

In order to compensate for the missing cheese, my favorite combination of toppings were very "zesty" and gave the pizza a nice zing. I would use a tortilla crust with tomato sauce, and then add: chopped marinated artichoke hearts, chopped olives, chopped onion, mushroom pieces, and capers. I would usually sprinkle some garlic powder and cayenne powder on it too. I still love this combo of ingredients, it is very unconventional but such a tangy pizza!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I love pizza, I have it as often as possible. I no scare of pizza, I actually had a wonderful slice with sausage :-)
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There sure is!

Fit and Free Pizza. 248 calories each!

http://www.pizzafree.com/

Tthey are friggen GOOD! Sometimes I will put peppers and onions on top. But, they are still good with just the cheese.

It's a great company too, they come in a nice little styrofoam freezer and are always fresh.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    We have a pkace here called Papa Murphy's. You pick up your piazza had then bake it at home. We love it!! I never know exactly what tme my hubby will be home some nights so its nice to be able to cook it once I know he is on his way. :)

But back to the pizza (sorry I got sidetracked) they have delite piazzas which are on a thinner crust but are yummy!! The cheese delite is only 179 calories a piece. Fits in real nice with my calories!!
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use a low carb/ calorie whole wheat tortilla as pizza crust sometimes. Tastes like thin crust pizza or I make it into a quesadilla which is REALLY good
  • kfoley2
    kfoley2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just last night I tried using flatouts. I quartered little grape tomatoes and spread mozzarella cheese (the real version is actually healthier than the fat free and melts better) over the whole thing. I sprayed the pizza pan with olive oil cooking spay. I heat the over to 400 degrees (let the pan preheat with it) then baked 2 of them for about 12 min (until the crust turned brown on the edges). Let sit a couple min to let the cheese settle then cut in slices.

They were amazing! I'm the kind of person who can't just have 1 slice of pizza. It's an all or nothing relationship here so any compromise is worth trying for me. Note about last night's food: Even my 15 yr. old son said he'd like to have them again another night. He didn't consider it "Mom's food" like most of my diet concoctions.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    200 Calorie pizzas:

1 Josephs Pita (flax and other healthy ingredients) 60 calories (though I have seen some others for around 100 that look yummy!)
    2 tblspns of sauce about 20 calories give or take
    9 slices turkey Pepperoni about 35 calories
    1/4 cup of Mozzerella (1/2 FF and Half part Skim MIXED together - I put 1/4 cup each in a baggie and shake to mix, then use half of it) about 60 calories

I added Mushrooms to mine which brought it up to about 200 calories - but you could put whatever veggies you want on it. The point is, without the veggies, it's only about 175 calories for a whole Pita Pizza. and you could have TWO pretty easily at that:) YUMO!!