What role does faith play?

Options

Replies

• Justin_Simmons
    Justin_Simmons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eating right and working hard are elements of temperance [self-control]. These things tie directly to the faith (II Peter 1:3-11). We're supposed to take good care of our bodies (I Corinthians 6:20). At the same time, you cannot fitness to become an idol of sorts. There is a balance. Bodily exercise profits little (I timothy 4:8). Therefore, the Scriptures enable you to have the wisdom to balance body and spirit.

-Brian (www.wordsoftruth.net)

well said
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    It plays a big part for me. I am a Christian and very far from a perfect one, but I know that He accepts me the way that I am.

We have free will to believe or not to believe.

I can't understand why so much bashing from non believers towards believers?

Haven't seen much bashing, just people stating they do not believe.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It plays a big part for me. I am a Christian and very far from a perfect one, but I know that He accepts me the way that I am.

We have free will to believe or not to believe.

I can't understand why so much bashing from non believers towards believers?

I can't understand why believers think that saying "I do not share the same beliefs as you" is an attack?
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    An athiest has to have faith that there is no greater power. Therefore, atheists have faith. Honestly, I believe it takes more faith to not believe in God than to believe in God.

Well....no...... That would only be true if there were overwhelming evidence (the double-blinded, easily replicated, validated by multiple sources kind) that there actually is a God or greater power, etc. Atheists have evidence.......you don't have any of the type that really counts.
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    I've seen too much in my life to prove that God exists, in that I believe that if I look toward him, I can do anything.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    None.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    None. I did this all myself, thanks.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    absolutely none.. Im another atheist.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Eating right and working hard are elements of temperance [self-control]. These things tie directly to the faith (II Peter 1:3-11). We're supposed to take good care of our bodies (I Corinthians 6:20). At the same time, you cannot fitness to become an idol of sorts. There is a balance. Bodily exercise profits little (I timothy 4:8). Therefore, the Scriptures enable you to have the wisdom to balance body and spirit.

-Brian (www.wordsoftruth.net)

well said

i think of it sort of this way. eating right and learning self control are goals of mine. but i also think that your body image is important too. if you look good but think you don't, you are not going to believe in yourself no matter how "good" you are at tracking calories and eating right. and there are more important things too, like caring for your family, being a good example, etc. all these things can happen if we put it all in balance, whether you believe in god or not.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    I believe I can do this.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I would be an Athiest.. but I dont believe in that...
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I am very surprised in the post you received. More negative than positive.

Only if you feel that everyone not sharing the same religion as yourself is a negative thing. The rest of us do not feel that way.

I agree, just because someone doesn't believe in God or have the same religion as you doesn't mean that they are negative... I actually thought people we're just fine on this forum!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    An athiest has to have faith that there is no greater power. Therefore, atheists have faith. Honestly, I believe it takes more faith to not believe in God than to believe in God.

I believe you are misunderstanding what an atheist is :flowerforyou:

Your answer makes me wonder, and perhaps you can help us to understand you better.

From an atheist's point of view, what is "faith"?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If by Faith you mean "religious beliefs"; the answer is a big "absolutely no part".

I am NOT an atheist or an agnostic. I do have religious beliefs but God does not control every aspect of my life. If He did; all I would have to do is pray and I would be fit. There would be no need for me to count calories and exercise.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Faith is everything! Without it I would've given up 295 days ago.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    Steps to making faith matter to your weight loss:

step 1: Dance to this: http://youtu.be/lu3VTngm1F0
    step 2: repeat
    step 3: log exercise as, "faith based dancing"
    step 4: profit.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why believers think that saying "I do not share the same beliefs as you" is an attack?

You know what? I don't think that at all. I'm a christian by default, but I hate the word christian. It lumps me with the 'christians' most non-christians are talking about when you make jokes about our intelligence or whatnot.

I don't think disagreeing with me is attacking me. I do find the jokes exhausting.
  • soccermoma11
    soccermoma11 Posts: 126
    Options
    My faith plays a big role in everything, My faith in God as a christian that is. But at the same time also a big part of it is my faith in myself and believing I can do it. Both are very important to me in all aspects of life.

If you arent a christian or someone of faith, that is your choice im not here to judge or condemn you. the point of this site is to help encourage one another to achieve our goals. I respect your decision as I know you would respect mine.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean, I have faith, in myself

But I don't have faith in a god, or a higher power.. I don't think it's possible but that's just my opinion! 'god' wouldn't have given my 25 year old fiance a heart attack, dangled another chance of life in front of his eyes and then tore it away. I think if there was a god, he'd see how good a person my fiance was, devoted his life to children, sports, and helping animals. I don't want to hear that god has a plan etc etc, if that's what you believe then I respect that.

But don't expect me to believe in a god when these things happen
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    None...if the big guy played any role; then it is his fault that he made me flawed and fat.

I take a full responsibility for my actions. My weight gain and weigh loss. I hate blaming others or hiding behind excuses. It is all me, baby!
This discussion has been closed.