What fact makse you feel old?

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    My son reminded me today that the car I bought brand new will be able to to into a car show in 5 years because, by then, it will be a "classic".
    I reminded him that although my car will in fact be 20 years old, it will still be a Cavalier and, therefore, have no place in a car show.
  • getskinnyby25
    getskinnyby25 Posts: 27 Member
    That my YOUNGER brother is 22
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    All of my friends are having kids on purpose.

This cracked me up!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Hearing songs from my late teens on the "Classic Rock" station.

^^^^^^This and the fact that I saw a bar advertising "90's Night".

I feel like the 90's were like just the other day.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    The fact that my "little brother" just turned 18 and graduated from high school and all I can think of is the picture of me holding him as an infant...I was 8. I'm 25 now so not old but damn it sure can make you feel that way!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    My neice, who I can remember as an infant, the little girl I babysat.. she is now a senior in high school and babysits my son.

It's been 10 years since I graduated High School.

I hear music from my youth on "classic music" channels.

The trees in the quad at the university I attended where so small when I graduated they had to have stakes... they are now, big, pretty trees.

I no longer get carded for alcohol.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    My first car had an 8-track player.

Windows 3.1 was released the year I graduated from high school.

I remember when MTV first came out, and they played music videos.

When I told my son the pilgrims were not around when I was born, he asked me what kind of music was popular when I was born. I told him disco....he then asked me if I had an afro when I was born. LOL. I told him no, I had no hair, so he asked me if Paw Paw (my dad) had an afro...lol.

Y'all have really sparked memories for me, and now I feel super old. Someone mentioned Hypercolor T-shirts! Wow! That brings back some crazy memories.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    **Sorry this is so long, I just received it in an email**

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right;we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Having a kid in the 6th grade
    Being annoyed by sagging pants
    Giving lectures to interns about underage drinking...
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    ^^^ Ouch...thank you for your confession.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    I didnt read through the thread, but Eminem's daughter Hailey is on her HIGH SCHOOL's volleyball team!

Yep. Here she is.

Eminemsdaughter.jpg?t=1338308899
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right;we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Thank You! I agree with you 100%. I have often said we have so many things now days to help make life easier and do things faster yet we don't hae time to do anything. We use to go visit friends now everyone just text or emails them. Sad
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    policemen look as if they should still be in school :huh:
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Im going to be a grandma in Oct.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    So many of my friends and family are dead!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    My husband regularly yells at passing teenagers to "Stay off my lawn!"

My second son is as tall as me

I discuss bowel movements with my elderly neighbor when we ask each other how things are going

Going to bed at 11pm is considered staying up late
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202

Thank You! I agree with you 100%. I have often said we have so many things now days to help make life easier and do things faster yet we don't hae time to do anything. We use to go visit friends now everyone just text or emails them. Sad
    So True love this
  • i once owned a members only jacket!
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    my youngest son will turn 21 this summer !!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    GNR - Apetite for Destruction is considered "Classic Rock"... that came out the year I was born

My best friend that I have known since she was two years old (Im four years older than her) graduated college last year.

People born in the 90's make me feel old.