What role does faith play?

Options

Replies

• Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    More like......there is not enough evidence for a higher power. Therefore, the default position is to accept the Null Hypothesis until such time that there is enough evidence to change our minds on the subject. It's not that many atheists are not willing to accept that a higher power exists......it's just that we haven't seen any good reason to....yet.

---

Have you ever seen a baby born? Watched a thunderstorn? Been healed of disease? Smelled wild flowers? Planted a garden? Felt truly loved?

Those are just a few reasons most folks find it impossible not to believe.

As yes......The Argument from the Ineffable.

Here's one for ya:

The Argument from Torquemada......See that burning stake over there? Therefore god exists.

How would Athiests explain the creation of the universe, planets, etc? I've always wondered. Ok.. there was space dust hanging out there somewhere billions of years ago... then somehow something happened and the conditions were just right and BOOM, it all came together in a perfect storm. But wait... who put the space dust there? And what was there before the space dust? What about the dust of the space dust?

Someone, at some point put it there... things cannot come of nothing... for the Athiests who rely on science so heavily, I would think that simple fact would make the most sense to them.

Really......it's ok to say "I don't know" I don't know.....yet.......and there are a lot of really smart people doing work on these very questions rather than making up fairy tales and trying to pawn them off as the truth.

Um guys. No one was asking to start an argument about whether or not God exists in MFP. Go take some ontology classes or read some books if you want to debate the existence of God. Here, I'll save you some time and money. God is an unfalsifiable theory and cannot be proven true or false. In science, unfalsifiable theories are worthless. But in sociology, they are comforting concepts with practical value even without scientific merit.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    None for me, did it all on my own!
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Having faith is believing without seeing. If the truth was right before your eyes, it wouldn't be "faith." Not trying to sound corny, but I hope each of you who are looking for a reason to believe, will find it.

No wonder there's so many issues with depression in this world :-( Thinking there is nothing at the end of the road is a pretty sad existence.

I love this.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    When you look at your watch today would you ever conclude that one day it just came into existence without a designer. The existence of the universe and how everything works together is evidence of intelligent design. Man's problem is that most want to reject the existence of a being with greater intelligence. Man wants to deny faith, but then lean upon unreasonable guesses and call that evidence. Just like your watch, you have been designed and created.

We know that God created the heaven and the earth (Genesis 1:1). We know that God created man (Genesis 1:26-27). Isaiah and Jeremiah penned the following: “For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else... I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are upon the ground, by my great power and by my outstretched arm, and have given it unto whom it seemed meet unto me” (Isaiah 45:18 and Jeremiah 27:5). We know that God made man upright, but man has sought out many inventions (Ecclesiastes 7:29). So, this article is not going to be about observing the beauty of man, but of the heaven and earth.

The Psalmist wrote: “When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained” (Psalms 8:3). Do you feel that way? Do you look at the sky, the moon, and the stars in awe? Do we stand in awe of the beauty of all things God created and the depth of wisdom seen in creation (Ecclesiastes 3:11 and Proverbs 3:19)? What would happen if the sun were closer or further away? Well, we’d freeze or burn up. What would happen if the sea did not have a barrier (Jeremiah 5:22)? Well, we’d see massive flooding and death all over the world. Folks, it is not a mystery to Bible students how all things stand in perfect balance (Nehemiah 9:6). However, it should still be an awesome sight to behold (Psalms 33:8).

How often do you stand outside and look at the sky? Do you listen to the birds? Here in El Paso we have a privilege in the clear sky we see nearly year round. Coming from parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania where it was cloudy more than clear, I still stand in awe of how bright the sun really is. I look at our night skies here and wonder at the beauty of the stars. There is no way in the world that a thinking person could behold the night skies of El Paso and deny our Lord as the Creator. The wonders of our universe clearly declare the existence of the Almighty!

Certainly, we could show the existence of God through Scientific foreknowledge in the Bible (Job 26:7, Isaiah 40:22, Leviticus 17:11-14, Ecclesiastes 1:7; 11:3, Amos 9:6, II Samuel 22:16, and Job 38:16). We could go through many prophesies that were fulfilled (Psalms 34:20; John 19:32-36 / Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:22-23, etc.). We could show forth eye witness accounts of the life and works of Jesus Christ (Acts 3:13-15). However, the creation of our Lord does speak for itself: “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork... And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein: Who in times past suffered all nations to walk in their own ways. Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness” (Psalms 19:1 and Acts 14:15-17).

What do you see when you look at the creatures which roam upon the earth? The book of Job declares: “But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee. Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the LORD hath wrought this? In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind” (Job 12:7-10). God’s creation speaks for itself. Yet, there is more to wonder about when we look at things created by God. Consider the wonder of how He did it!

“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light... And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters... And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so {see also Genesis 1:11; 14-15; 20; 24; 26; etc.}... By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast... Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear” (Genesis 1:3; 6; 9, Psalms 33:6-9, and Hebrews 11:3).

What more could be said than that which we see around us every day and every night? Maybe we should all consider taking more time to look at the wonders which our Lord has created. Consider the following words from the Apostle Paul as our conclusion: “For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead” (Acts 17:23-31).

Totally agree! In my humble opinion I think it's easier for people to not believe because of the mentality that they owe no responsibility to anyone for anything and they look at believers as people who are trying to work their way to heaven and therefore must believe. Getting to heaven is just a benefit to me....of course a wonderful, eternal benefit but my belief is based on all the wonders that you described on this earth and all of the eye witness accounts of God' works and words throughout history told in the bible and of Jesus' life and the miracles that he performed, which was witness by thousands of people. People want to criticize the bible and our belief in it but to me the bible is no different than a family's journal that has all of their family's history written down in it for generations to read about. The most interesting thing for me though is the fact that the bible foretold thousands of years ago about things that are happening in our lifetime but most want to turn a blind eye to it. Maybe it's easier or maybe it's easier to believe in what a scientist says vs what God said many, many moons ago.
  • johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok I see how this works....after 7 pages, no comments should in any way be related to the original post?
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ok I see how this works....after 7 pages, no comments should in any way be related to the original post?

Are they ever when it's a controversial topic? lol
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Having faith is believing without seeing. If the truth was right before your eyes, it wouldn't be "faith." Not trying to sound corny, but I hope each of you who are looking for a reason to believe, will find it.

No wonder there's so many issues with depression in this world :-( Thinking there is nothing at the end of the road is a pretty sad existence.

Please. My existence is far from sad.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I asked this earlier, but I believe it got lost in the shuffle:

From an atheist's point of view, what is faith?

Faith is blind belief in something without any proof.

Then, we ALL have faith in something. No?

For some things, we (meaning all of us) have to accept anecdotal evidence or the results of the process of elimination, because there is currently no solid "proof" to back up what we believe to be true.

But are you willing to change your beliefs in the face of further research that God does not exist? Are you referring to science when you are talking about anecdotal evidence or process of elimination?

And, to answer your question... No, I wouldn't give up my own faith because of "proof" that the science world would offer, simply because it has proven itself to be unreliable and changing, while my own anecdotal evidence shows that the object of my faith is genuine.

This right here is the difference. An atheist will allow their world view to change in the face of new knowledge and information during their quest to understand the world around us while some of faith will ignore all new information because they believe that they have been told how it all works already.

and to answer your original question, I will continue to examine and weigh the evidence while trying to understand this world and universe.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    This sounds horrible but I've never once thought about my faith in relation to working on my health and fitness goals.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I asked this earlier, but I believe it got lost in the shuffle:

From an atheist's point of view, what is faith?

Faith is blind belief in something without any proof.

Faith is also very dangerous because it leaves a person open for others to take advantage of them. We see this in the news all the time.....sometimes related to religious things......just as often there are con artists in the secular world. It all goes back to choosing to believe in stuff without any good proof to validate your choice.

Rational thinking, logic, and such are quite difficult things.....many folks don't even want to try. They would rather an authority figure tell them what the "guy-in-the-sky" wants....and call it faith....and try to make a virtue out of giving up their powers of reason.

Your "rationalization" here of why faith is dangerous couldn't be more off-point. Believers aren't all just a bunch of blind sheep without brains. *sigh* You are making a broad, sweeping statement that is accurate about only a very small percentage of believers - and chances are really good that those things would be true about them with or without God (or faith) in their life.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

What is dangerous is having or learning the mindset that a person should not question and challenge the ideas that are offered to them. "Faith" is one of the many ways that people get to that kind of mindset. Logical, rational thinking is something that has to be practiced.....it's hard to do.....it's like the muscles in our bodies.....and faith allows a person to choose not to think.....just accept someone else's ideas.

I'm not just talking about religious people here. We see people whose Social Security checks are stolen.....whose life savings are wiped out.....whose child dies because of (what is today) an easily curable ailment......all because they did not use their powers of reason to challenge the authority figure in their particular situation.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Yep. It seems to be the general trend. It isn't just unrelated to the original post, its also full of negativity and opinion bashing.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I worked out to Limp Bizkits cover of George Michael's "Faith" once.

HAHAH. ^^^

A true relationship with God would influence you completely--the words you say and the things you think (and thus, how you feel about yourself, your life, other people, motivation, desire to accomplish things, or not accomplish them) would be different than it would be on your own.

Reminds me of the song "In the Light" by DC Talk.

"I keep trying to find a life
    On my own, apart from you
    I am the king of excuses
    I've got one for every selfish thing I do

The disease of self runs through my blood
    It's a cancer fatal to my soul
    Every attempt on my behalf has failed
    To bring this sickness under control
    Tell me, what's going on inside of me?
    I despise my own behavior"

That being said, I do have a strong relationship with God and take no credit for the drastic change that occured in my life within the past year or so. Losing weight was just a side-effect of that. Of course everyone's situation is unique.....so the answer would be, faith will play a role if you allow God to come into your heart.

[
    Believers are so condescending and never even recognize it.

Sadly, this is so true. ^^^

They don't know what they're doing. Jesus isn't at all though, and he is the one we should be following.

If you ever go to a church that praises the leaders more than God, go home.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    None....did it through my own determination coupled with support from my friends and family both in RL and on MFP.

This!
  • va_va_voom
    Options
    To me, faith is very important. Faith gives me my motivation is to make this earthly vessel I have been given capable of doing God's work while I am here. I know that I cannot do it alone, and that I am lost without God. It is ONLY by God's loving grace that I am alive and sane today. However, I must act on that faith and "step out of the boat" because faith without works is dead. I must also love people as God loves me, for 'if I have the faith to move mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.' (1 corinthians 13:2)

So, ummm yeah, faith is up there for me!

Exactly.

We have faith, but we also have free will. We still have to choose to do the right thing - it's not something automatic just because we believe.
  • va_va_voom
    Options
    I worked out to Limp Bizkits cover of George Michael's "Faith" once.

HAHAH. ^^^

A true relationship with God would influence you completely--the words you say and the things you think (and thus, how you feel about yourself, your life, other people, motivation, desire to accomplish things, or not accomplish them) would be different than it would be on your own.

Reminds me of the song "In the Light" by DC Talk.

"I keep trying to find a life
    On my own, apart from you
    I am the king of excuses
    I've got one for every selfish thing I do

The disease of self runs through my blood
    It's a cancer fatal to my soul
    Every attempt on my behalf has failed
    To bring this sickness under control
    Tell me, what's going on inside of me?
    I despise my own behavior"

That being said, I do have a strong relationship with God and take no credit for the drastic change that occured in my life within the past year or so. Losing weight was just a side-effect of the realization that I did in fact love myself.

Awesome post and great song!
  • hadesflame
    hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You're silly if you believe that would happen. lol
    Like I said, an innocent question led to something that shouldn't be discussed here but people just keep pushing it and someone is going to get this thread shut down soon.... Surprised it hasn't happened yet.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing what role your faith plays in your weight lose goals/success

None. Agnostic here. I believe in what I can see or see clear physical evidence of. I experimented with the methodology on this site and the proof is in my weight loss, no need for faith (which is a belief in the absence of proof).

But I'm assuming given that you asked the question that it had a role for you, and if it worked for you then I'm very happy that your method worked.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't think going to church on Sundays actually has anything to do with faith. AND not trying to get anyone riled up, but apparently I did. I didn't mean for my post to be disrespectful or rude in any way. Just as you don't understand why I have faith in something more, I don't understand how people can find purpose in their lives without it.
    So lets just, respectfully, agree to disagree ;-)
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am faith in myself and without that I wouldn't have any weight loss success.

THIS x100
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You're silly if you believe that would happen. lol
    Like I said, an innocent question led to something that shouldn't be discussed here but people just keep pushing it and someone is going to get this thread shut down soon.... Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

This should've been shut down immediately. It's against forum rules to discuss religion and God. That's what the groups are for.
This discussion has been closed.