Calling all 5K times!

Options

Replies

• aimeerocksx3
    Options
    35 min for my first.
    36 min for my second.

I run/walk it, since I still can't run the whole time. It'll come though, just gotta be patient.
    My first one has a-bajillion racers (and I got a medal!!). My second one had about 250 (?), and I can honestly say, I liked it better.
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    For your first 5K your only goal should be crossing the finish line with a smile on your face. Have fun!

^^^ probably the best advice you could be given!
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am going to be running my first 5K on June 9th. I am in the process of trying to figure out a time goal for myself. What was your best 5K time?

don't do it this way... you're setting yourself up for disappointment. For a female first time 5k... anything under 30 mins is fast. Run your first 5k and let that be your benchmark. There are SOO many parameters that would go into setting a goal. if you run 5-10 miles a week... i'd set your goal for 30 mins plus 30 seconds for every 10 pounds over weight you are. If you run 20 miles a week. Id set your goal for 25 mins plus 30 seconds for every 10 pounds over weight you are. If you don't run regularly, i'd set your goal for 35-40 minutes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Time for my first 5k (2 weeks ago) was 33:27! If you have an idea of the pace you currently run, I'd go by that and try not to pressure yourself too much beyond that or it might be too much stress and not enough fun. I'm a big people watcher so that's most of the fun for me in these events. I'm not a fast runner and probably never will be so I just do my best and listen to snippets of conversations going on around me as I go. Have a great time!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    BUMP- Running my 1st race June 23RD My fastest recorded 5k was 27:58 ..gotta work on it , have sore calves right now so I have been resting and just walking because they hurt more when I run.
  • dmg16duke
    dmg16duke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My best time was 22:28, but that was after running a half marathon, so my speed was a lot greater. I used to be in the high 20's consistently.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner (okay, fast jog...) so my best 5K time is 31:42 (pace of 10:13). Which is awesome for me! :happy:
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    From timing myself, I am in between 25 and 26 mins. I want to be under 25, but from the looks of it, that seems a little crazy for my first race.
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am going to be running my first 5K on June 9th. I am in the process of trying to figure out a time goal for myself. What was your best 5K time?

don't do it this way... you're setting yourself up for disappointment. For a female first time 5k... anything under 30 mins is fast. Run your first 5k and let that be your benchmark. There are SOO many parameters that would go into setting a goal. if you run 5-10 miles a week... i'd set your goal for 30 mins plus 30 seconds for every 10 pounds over weight you are. If you run 20 miles a week. Id set your goal for 25 mins plus 30 seconds for every 10 pounds over weight you are. If you don't run regularly, i'd set your goal for 35-40 minutes.

Okay, so going by this, I run 5-7 miles per night so we will guess on average about 36 miles per week. It takes me about 45 mins to run 5 miles and about an hour to run the 7 miles. I am going to run a practice 5K tonight and time myself and go by that I guess.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Best in a race was 30:36. I was happy with that, it meant all my miles were under 9 minutes. I usually run between 11-12. I can go far, but I go slow.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    From timing myself, I am in between 25 and 26 mins. I want to be under 25, but from the looks of it, that seems a little crazy for my first race.

I don't know - if you're running 36ish miles per week and 9 minute miles for 5m, I think you can be a bit aggressive with your goal. I don't think shooting for 25 is crazy!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Okay, so going by this, I run 5-7 miles per night so we will guess on average about 36 miles per week. It takes me about 45 mins to run 5 miles and about an hour to run the 7 miles. I am going to run a practice 5K tonight and time myself and go by that I guess.
    I predict you will run it in 24:30 plus or minus 1 minute.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You need to run one first and see what your time is. Then set your goals accordingly. Everyone runs different. Good luck!
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Assuming the above is correct, aiming for 25mins and below would be a good goal. You are doing a lot of mileage. Start tapering your mileage back 2-3 weeks before your 5k (if you're making it your goal to get a best time). so.. 3 weeks before the race... start reducing to maybe 20 miles a week give or take (try and make some of that mileage at a faster pace).
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I did my first 5K a few weeks ago. 24:24. My goal was under 25 - I'd done that on the treadmill, but had no idea how it would translate to a road race. The adrenaline gives you an extra boost. It sounds like you are an experienced runner... I would go for it! Good luck. :)
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one a few weeks ago. I came in at 34:42 but I had to walk in a few parts due to trouble breathing (I was suffering from a nasty chest/head cold).

I went out and ran a few days ago and did 3.2 miles at just over 38 minutes. Hopefully I'll get that time down some before my next 5k which is on July 4th.
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My PR is 20:29...that is a thing of the past:) However I could stay under 25:00 I'd be happy now.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The only one I've ever ran was 2 weeks ago and it was 25:09
    I'd say it's pretty good for my first one lol
  • jryan12341
    jryan12341 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on Sunday in 29.37, started the C25K in February and couldn't run for a minute in January. My goal was to keep my heart in my chest, finish in under 30 minutes and don't have to go to the bathroom half way through. I finished 18th in my age group but I bet I was first in my weight class.....FAT GUYS ROCK!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

My first was 46:15. I ran all but 8 minutes of it. I hope to run the entire thing next time in under 40 minutes.

My first was yesterday, 43:48 in the heat. My next goal is under 40 too! We can do this!