What annoys you about your Zumba class?

Options

Replies

• futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    As a Zumba instructor, I first read this post to try to get tips about how to make my classes better. The more I hear what people DON'T like the more I can improve, right?

After reading through a few pages I started to see a pattern - and it's something I can't do anything about ....overcrowding. Your facility should have a "maximum" on the room and stick to it.

As for the "Hip Hop Zumba' vs. "Latin Zumba" - there is no such thing. Zumba is Zumba. It's SUPPOSED to be 70% Latin/International music and 30% "American Pop" (or country, or hip/hop, or...you get the idea). Any instructor actually licensed to teach Zumba knows this...whether they stick to it or not.

My first Zumba class I didn't break a sweat at all - because I was unfamiliar with the routine and therefore wasn't working hard. Now that I'm teaching, I have a BUNCH of routines that are all memorized. Even with the muscle memory I sweat HORRIBLY! To the point of using waterproof mascara because the sweat makes my makeup run down my face! (I would NOT wear makeup but I teach right after my 8-5 job).

The comment about how Zumba is not exercise...REALLY?!?! You seriously think that? One of it's tag lines is "Exercise in disguise". Yes, you're dancing - how is dancing NOT exercise? It's also based on interval training (although that's not something that's discussed a whole lot). Have you ever noticed in class you have some songs that are faster/harder than others? In a one-hour Zumba class you can burn anywhere from 400-1000 calories! How is that NOT exercise? I realize Zumba isn't for everyone, but wow....

Of course I'm biased, I was a dancer from the time I was 5 until now (I'm 38). I love Zumba and I enjoy MOST of my students. ;)
    I, too, hate crowded and overheated classes. I also have a hard time with people who stare at themselves in the mirror - because those are the ones that tend to bump into others by not paying attention to the cues I'm giving them.

OK, I think I'm done now. Sorry to interrupt.

If it's any consolation, you've made me want to try a Zumba class.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1) People who show up after you and insist on inserting themselves in an area that's too crowded. I HATE this, as it is alwasys me who has to move over to accomadate them and then limit my arm movements so I don't hit anyone. You showed up after me, so it's MY spot. You want up front? Show up earlier. These are regulars too.... not someone new, therefore needing to see foot movements up close.

2) The girl with the WORST body odor ever! She's a regular now and sweet as can be, but she must shower once a week and never wear deodorant. *gag* I'm sweating and breathing hard, but I find myself holding my breath to avoid the whiffs I get - not good. I haven't been in a couple weeks, but from now on, I will move a few people away from her so I can breathe while exercising.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Zumba instructors that don't use Latin music for most of the session. Isn't that what Zumba is supposed to be? And yes.... People who crowd behind you because they are trying to "hide". One of these days I am going to end up with my finger up someone's nose.... :laugh:

:drinker:
    Ha. That's why I just started to blast the reggaeton & bachata stations and dancing like a fool at my own house.
    Quiero mi música
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    5kn9qt.jpg

hehehee
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I just want to say- a lot of you people are a-holes. Stop complaining about the people who have two left feet, at least they are working out and having FUN!!! Why should they have to stay home or be stuck on the treadmill just because they weren't blessed with the gift of dance?

I go to Zumba and look ridiculous, but I feel awesome. Y'all just a bunch of haterz!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I really can't think of anything to complain about, with my Zumba class! My instructor is great, I sweat up a storm, and have FUN! I love a good mix of hip-hop and Latin music, and my instructor changes it up fairly often so you don't get bored. I'd MUCH rather do Zumba than the bike or treadmill. I have fun and burn more calories!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Zumba instructors that don't use Latin music for most of the session. Isn't that what Zumba is supposed to be? And yes.... People who crowd behind you because they are trying to "hide". One of these days I am going to end up with my finger up someone's nose.... :laugh:

:drinker:

^^^ This. I can't stand all this Hip Hop music for Zumba class! It's supposed to be Latin music!! Hello?!?!?!?
  • tracyjh01
    tracyjh01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love the instructors in my class! Only complaint is not enough fans!!!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options

Oh, and people who don't put their kids into daycare, instead, letting them roam in and out of class. Door opens and closes, kids talking, back and forth, in and out....grrrr.

Oh, I HATE this! Sometimes there's tweens lined up along the wall with their legs stuck out for someone to trip over. Why can't they sit 15 feet away on the bench in the hall?

And one time somebody brought their THREE YEAR OLD and actually let them participate, no less! I couldn't believe they would put their tiny child in the middle of a thundering herd of exercisers! And it completely ruined it for anyone nearby cuz every time you turned around that kid was underfoot. And of course nobody wanted to be the one that fell on the kid and killed her, lol.
    My favorite instructor gives the rules at the beginning. If you can't control your kids (no running in/out, loud noises, etc) that you AND the kids will get kicked out of that lesson. You do get a warning; but after the second warning, you know what's next.
  • LesaDave
    Options
    F-ing mirrors... I really don't want to see myself, or for anyone else to. Seriously if I could be invisible when I wanted to, that would be a dream come true. Also, when the instructor is late. Or when the instructor has to cue up every song. I try to keep moving, but I'm just picturing the blood pooling in my legs while we wait.
    I have tried 18-20 instructors so far. I had ONE instructor that only watched herself in the mirror. Her back was to the group the entire time. I guess I could have gotten used to that, but you could see her smile when her face looked surprised that she actually did something that she liked. She also didn't queue up, so you were pretty lost if you didn't already know the routine. And I can catch on pretty quickly, but I have yet to know the entire routine the first time I do it! But, like I said, this was only ONE instructor.

Also I have done several Zumbathons from 2-4 hours long. The class is doing the dances from the beginning. But there is one instructor who will do the first part ONE time, then stand on the stage and say "now YOU do it" and watch. Well, if you are not my regular instructor, I do not know what is coming next. And she is just standing during the time the other instructors are up there, so she shouldn't be tired.

I wish there was a stage for the larger classes so the people in the middle and back can see the teacher. When you find a good/excellent teacher, those classes will fill up quickly. I usually try to get near the front but on the side, but I feel for those in the back.

And a pet peeve of mine...dancing a half a beat BEFORE the beat does NOT make it easy for me!! Dance ON the beat and give the queues!! Then I can follow!

But having said all of that...as far as this exercise thang (yep, I said THANG, not thing), is concerned, this is the MOST fun I have had! And dare I say it...MY NAME IS LESA, AND I'M A ZUMBA-HOLIC!! LOVE IT!!!!
  • LesaDave
    Options
    My instructor finally found a great solution to the problem of children. We have a VERY large room, and we probably have close to 100 people or more every week, which brings in a lot of children (big and small). Small children were always under foot, big ones wandering in and out to the bathrooms, etc. So the last few weeks, after months of unsuccessful pleas to keep your children with you or on stage, she brought out the painters tape. Now, we put a line of tape from front to back at least 1/4 way from each side. If you have children under 18, you need to stay on the "kid" side of the tape WITH them. It has worked like a charm and EVERYONE is much happier.
    LOVE this. It would probably work with other classes IF the room is large enough. Good idea. Glad it works for your class.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Luckily I have no complaints :]
  • LesaDave
    Options
    If you don't break a sweat, then you aren't doing it correctly. (Just like I don't think I'm replying to this post correctly.) LOL

:laugh: :wink:
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no complaints at all whatsoever since my "Zumba class" is me at home with the Zumba DVDs and the game for the Wii. ;)
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hate Zumba. Everything about it.

I did two classes and I find it gets boring very quickly. I don't break a sweat, ever. My last class was yesterday.

And the above quote sums it up for me now. Glad it is over!

You didn't have a very good instructor then. My instructor is AWESOME! We never stop moving and EVERYONE in the class in drenched within the first 15 minutes. I typically burn 600-650 cals in an hour and never get bored but am I always so thankful when it's over lol

I burn a lot too but I don't find it strenous.
    I don't sweat easily on top of it.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Zumba every Friday evening - it was a great way to kick off the weekend, and an amazing workout. But the class got SO popular it was just wall-to-wall people, and I was constantly getting kicked by people who had NO RHYTHM whatsoever. I'm sorry but if you can't follow a simple left-left, right-right and stay on cue, perhaps Zumba is not the class for you! Maybe you should try Spinning where you can't hurt the people around you. Get out of my way!!!

Plus there was ALWAYS someone farting in my vicinity and it was FOUL. When I'm gasping for air, smelling someone's nasty farts is the WORST. Also a lot of people who didn't wear deodorant.

Between the farts, the B.O., and the people who were too slow/lazy/uncoordinated/or just too stupid to keep their limbs under control, I quit going.

You sound fun :yawn:

The thread was about what annoys you about Zumba class...just sayin'. :laugh:
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    The one lady that wears a belly dancing belt during class. And a teacher that doesn't know how own dance.

You mean the scarf with the jingly things on it? What's wrong with that? I'm the only one in my class with one and although I don't wear it all the time, there's something about it that makes me want to move my hips even more...give up more BOOM and POW. Love the jinglies!! I have four.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have been to Zumba classes at three different studios under 6 different instructors. They are ALL different.

The one I attend now is my absolute favorite.

I don't like a class if it doesn't feel "dancy" ... if we are doing kicks, squats, jumping jacks, and lunges, that is NOT zumba! This was the problem I had with one place.. I did like her "toning" songs.. but the others just didn't feel right to me.

The class I attend now is taught by a lady who is also a personal trainer, she always has a box of coin skirt things if anyone wants to borrow and wear one.. her routines are well thought out, fun, easy to follow, but still a great work out!

I don't care for big classes or classes on carpet. I also don't like kids running around.. Zumba is my time for myself, so I leave my kid at home.

Why isn't it?
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have been to Zumba classes at three different studios under 6 different instructors. They are ALL different.

The one I attend now is my absolute favorite.

I don't like a class if it doesn't feel "dancy" ... if we are doing kicks, squats, jumping jacks, and lunges, that is NOT zumba! This was the problem I had with one place.. I did like her "toning" songs.. but the others just didn't feel right to me.

The class I attend now is taught by a lady who is also a personal trainer, she always has a box of coin skirt things if anyone wants to borrow and wear one.. her routines are well thought out, fun, easy to follow, but still a great work out!

I don't care for big classes or classes on carpet. I also don't like kids running around.. Zumba is my time for myself, so I leave my kid at home.

Why isn't it?

Zumba is dancing. Jumping Jacks are a great workout.. but it's not dancing.
  • scamp1989
    scamp1989 Posts: 2
    Options
    The way the instructor congratulates us on having done a 800cal workout. Maybe that's possible in some Zumba classes but for her classes I'm lucky if I burn half that.

When you get an instructor that spends ten minutes showing you all the moves for a song before she'll let you do it. I had to walk out of a class because it'd been 40 minutes and we'd done a warmup and two songs. Yes if there is something complex then walk us through it first. It isn't a workout if the majority the class we are standing about watching, nor if every time our heart rates get up we then have to stand around.