How Hard Must You Work Out?

Options
1235»

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    For me: Lots of walking at a moderate pace, the occasional all-out effort (once a week, maybe) and a bit of heavy lifting.

I believe body composition is a result of 80% nutrition and 20% exercise.

I used to knock myself out trying to burn xxx calories but I've knocked that on the head and feel much butter for it.

And if anyone catches me in a gym (for the first time) you have my express permission to shoot me.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Your body, in a caloric deficit, is NOT in a state in which muscle can be built...except under rather rare circumstances, including obesity in the subject, and/or them having been a prior athlete.

You keep making absolute statements, and then when I dispute them, you start bringing in qualifiers that weren't there originally.
    We've been arguing about it for years on this forum

Meaning this is hardly the cut-and-dried proven-beyond-a-doubt "facts" you keep presenting them as.
    Also, have you heard of growth hormone? Adrenalin? I mentioned them both in my first post contradicting you.

Mentioned briefly, yes, but neither one of them acts in the way you describe, so I assumed there must be some other hormone you were referring to.

And here is your original statement:
    The benefit is the hormonal response...that you DON'T get from walking...running,.trail riding...or any other form of endurance, or cardio exercise. Only strength training with a weight (even bodyweight can give you this benefit if its difficult enough for you) heavy enough to cause you to fail in 5-8 reps provides this benefit.

I therefore stand by my statement that there is no magical hormone that keeps track of how many reps it takes you to reach the failure point, and *ONLY* appears with strength training and *ONLY* when you exercise to point of failure in 5-8 reps. Both of the hormones you cite appear in many other circumstances.

Again, you keep making absolute statements, and then when I dispute them you start tacking on qualifiers and trying to pretend that I was arguing with them, instead of the original absolute statement.
    I've only got one study handy as a link at the moment, take a look:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16213174

Which says that HGH is secreted with intense exercise and can increase lipolysis, niether of which was in dispute. You do not provide evidence that high-intensity strength training is the "only" thing that "provides this benefit."

Yes, it does...however, you DON'T have to be in an AVERAGE calorie deficit (important word there...because that's what we're talking about in relation to building muscle

Oh, were we? There you go again, adding qualifiers that weren't there before.

I know straw men are easier to take out than a real opponent, but it's not very satisfying and you're not going to learn much by attacking them.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Your body, in a caloric deficit, is NOT in a state in which muscle can be built...except under rather rare circumstances, including obesity in the subject, and/or them having been a prior athlete.

You keep making absolute statements, and then when I dispute them, you start bringing in qualifiers that weren't there originally.
    We've been arguing about it for years on this forum

Meaning this is hardly the cut-and-dried proven-beyond-a-doubt "facts" you keep presenting them as.
    Also, have you heard of growth hormone? Adrenalin? I mentioned them both in my first post contradicting you.

Mentioned briefly, yes, but neither one of them acts in the way you describe, so I assumed there must be some other hormone you were referring to.

And here is your original statement:
    The benefit is the hormonal response...that you DON'T get from walking...running,.trail riding...or any other form of endurance, or cardio exercise. Only strength training with a weight (even bodyweight can give you this benefit if its difficult enough for you) heavy enough to cause you to fail in 5-8 reps provides this benefit.

I therefore stand by my statement that there is no magical hormone that keeps track of how many reps it takes you to reach the failure point, and *ONLY* appears with strength training and *ONLY* when you exercise to point of failure in 5-8 reps. Both of the hormones you cite appear in many other circumstances.

Again, you keep making absolute statements, and then when I dispute them you start tacking on qualifiers and trying to pretend that I was arguing with them, instead of the original absolute statement.
    I've only got one study handy as a link at the moment, take a look:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16213174

Which says that HGH is secreted with intense exercise and can increase lipolysis, niether of which was in dispute. You do not provide evidence that high-intensity strength training is the "only" thing that "provides this benefit."

Yes, it does...however, you DON'T have to be in an AVERAGE calorie deficit (important word there...because that's what we're talking about in relation to building muscle

Oh, were we? There you go again, adding qualifiers that weren't there before.

I know straw men are easier to take out than a real opponent, but it's not very satisfying and you're not going to learn much by attacking them.

Did you read ANY of what you actually WROTE???

All I've seen you do is pull select statements out of my posts, and attack them. To bring up a SINGLE example...you said that growth hormone and adrenalin don't promote fat burning. You were COMPLETELY wrong...not just partially...COMPLETELY. Half of the things you're bringing up now, I had to bring in as qualifiers because you obviously don't have the slightest clue how they work.

The funny thing, is the only close to accurate point you made, I happily conceded to...and THANKED you for. Yet you say I'm not going to learn anything lol? Whatever DR. Janet...you are a prime example of why people shouldn't trust medical professionals (assuming you even are one...you never answered that either...along with half the other questions I asked you to) when it comes to diet, nutrition, and exercise.

Have a nice night...and when you choose to answer the questions asked of you...prompted by your first ridiculous rantings, feel free to reply, and we'll continue our discussion.
  • traciandharold
    traciandharold Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I'm not into crazy working out, I like to have fun. I'm starting with walking/hiking around the area, and adding walking/running/swimming in the pool. I love water aerobics, even though everyone thinks it's just for old people. I'm 5'1" and 135lbs. I have 20 pounds to lose, and I'm starting slow to work my way into a more active lifestyle. I would like to learn to play tennis properly, and I want to kayak. Also, I just joined the local YMCA and they have raquetball courts that I enjoy playing. This might sound crazy, but a few times a day (if I'm stuck doing college work) I jump up and run up and down the stairs for 10 minutes. These are the days I can't get out of the house, and I figure doing this 3 times a day at least gets my heart rate up! I know many people are at different stages of their weight loss/better body journeys, and I'm just beginning. Maybe someday I'll be crazy about lifting weights and doing strenuous exercise, but for now I prefer a gentler start! Good luck to you!