Visualize This

Options

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Jessica here is where you can view the spreadsheet I made for your inches!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvSCOx9Fd1U8dG1kSnRVclhMb3ZoNi1tdkt4SWVhVUE&hl=en

Thank you!! Now I can keep one for my own records as well, I like being able to track my measurements too since i just started doing the weights! Did you want the measurements every monday then? Or like every 2, I got kind of confused with the dates on the chart. Good job everyeone!?
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, what does everyone's strength training routine look like? I can't decide what to do lol. I know I'm probably going to be switching it up every month to keep my muscles guessing, just kind of at a loss as to where to begin.

Well I do cardio first. Then after cardio I go over to the weights. The cardio is about a half hour to 50 mins depending on what I do. For weights, I choose what I want to work out with. Because a lot of my cardio (or many of our cardio) involves legs, I tend to do my arms a bit more than my legs. But, I will often choose a machine, depending on what is open, and start at the weight that I was able to do last time. Normally, I find that after a few days of training I can go up in weight. THEN I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps depending on the machine. I have been told that for weight training challenge yourself. If you are able to do 15 reps in your set, bring up the weight a bit. The point is, doing 10-12 fluid motions should be difficult but doable. If you can't do at least 8 bring the weights down a few pounds. Most weights have a 5 pound block on them anyway, and thats usually enough up or down. Then after I do that, I wipe the machine down (sanitation people!) and choose another machine targeting the same part. Perhaps though not the same muscle, but if I choose arms, I will do a tricep press, and then rowing, and then this one that I don't know the name of it. And at the same time, I will include perhaps the crunch machine, or or of my favorites--- the BACK extention one. There are usually directions on the machine, and if you are interested in barbells, there are some cool things you can do with those too.

The one thing I struggled with when I started weight training was that I compared myself to other people in the gym, but I know some people who write their reps down. Comparing yourself to yourself... SO fulfilling and makes me look forward to my weight training days. :)

Also, if your gym offers it, ASK for them to introduce you to the machines, how they work and how to do them properly, and if you can afford it and they offer it... a personal trainer is pretty great too.

-Becca
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, what does everyone's strength training routine look like? I can't decide what to do lol. I know I'm probably going to be switching it up every month to keep my muscles guessing, just kind of at a loss as to where to begin.

I do pretty much the same as Becca as far as doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps per machine. I usually warm up with 10 min of cardio on the elliptical then do 20 minutes of weight lifting going through the entire circuit set - I do legs, arms, back and stomach, (2-3 min per machine) I try not to rest too much between sets or machines because I want to keep my heart rate up while I'm lifting. When I need a change, I'll do different machines - the gym I use has maybe 3 sets of circuit machines, and they're not all exactly the same. I'll finish with 10 to 30 more min. of cardio, depending on how I'm feeling.

I will work at a certain weight level on each of the machines until it gets to the point where it's not super difficult to do the 3 sets of 10-12 reps. I think I need to bringing a notepad with me, though, because I found I can't always remember what weight level I worked at last!

I tried doing all my cardio first, but I've found the weights are alot harder for me after 30 min on the elliptical, and it's better for me personally to sandwich the weight lifting between two shorter cardio sessions.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvSCOx9Fd1U8dG1kSnRVclhMb3ZoNi1tdkt4SWVhVUE&hl=en

Thank you!! Now I can keep one for my own records as well, I like being able to track my measurements too since i just started doing the weights! Did you want the measurements every monday then? Or like every 2, I got kind of confused with the dates on the chart. Good job everyeone!?

I have it down for measurements done every 30 days, if you want to change it and do it more often or less I can do that, though!
  • Arienna
    Options
    Thanks Tiff and Becca for the advice! My only problem is I refuse to the go to the gym when it's busy lol. I am just too self concious. I've been going at 4am to avoid other people being there! I don't know how to use the machines and the only time a trainer is there is obviously not 4 am lol. I will see if I can find some things online or just do my strength at home, there's lots of info online, just not sure where to start!
  • mamaturner
    Options

I have it down for measurements done every 30 days, if you want to change it and do it more often or less I can do that, though!

That's ok, but thank you! Every 30 days works just fine. I started filling in the blank spread sheet, it's wonderful! Thank you again!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Thanks Tiff and Becca for the advice! My only problem is I refuse to the go to the gym when it's busy lol. I am just too self concious. I've been going at 4am to avoid other people being there! I don't know how to use the machines and the only time a trainer is there is obviously not 4 am lol. I will see if I can find some things online or just do my strength at home, there's lots of info online, just not sure where to start!

I do mine at home, however i just started so I'm still working on it. I bought a 5# weight to start and just do different types of reps for different muscles in my arms.
  • charcharbec
    Options
    I can understand being self concious. I think we all feel that way sometimes. My hope for you is that through this, you will be able to be comfortable in your own skin. Thats my biggest hurdle, but I think also the most important thing about losing weight and getting in shape. I want to feel better about ME, and hoenstly if someone is going to say something and make eyes at me for trying to change myself so that I can be healthy then they have bigger problems. Most of the time, and the best advice I ever got was someone on a forum said, "Most of the time people aren't laughing at you when you are working out--- they are thinking--- GOOD FOR THEM!" And I really believe that. It's what makes me not care when I am running or when I am weight training, and I feel so good about myself right now, that I think that most of the time people look at me and think, "****-- I wish I could do what she does" even if they don't.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't get self concious sometimes. I do still... like those days when I do 20 or 30 mins of cardio on the arc trainer and then go walking on the treadmill for like 15 mins. I always wonder if people are like "well you didn't really just do anything there." But its not about them, right? It's about how I feel, and how healthy I am. And eventually, I will be that skinny girl running next to me. :D

:) hugs to all yous.

Becca
  • amym1
    amym1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Jessica - 171.2 (2# loss)
    Anu - 217 (- 1 lb)
    Ian- 245 (+3lbs)
    Tiff - 216.5 (4.5# loss)
    Shannon 154 (-1 lb)
    Courtney 295.6 (-1 lb)
    Pam 203.8 (+.8 gain)
    Amy 196.5 (0 gain/loss)

Oh, well, not a great week. I didn't lose anything, but I didn't gain either and that is a good thing. I'm going to try increasing exercise this week. Everyone have a great week!

Amy
  • maddmaddmama
    maddmaddmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jessica - 171.2 (2# loss)
    Anu - 217 (- 1 lb)
    Ian- 245 (+3lbs)
    Tiff - 216.5 (4.5# loss)
    Shannon 154 (-1 lb)
    Courtney 295.6 (-1 lb)
    Pam 203.8 (+.8 gain)
    Amy 196.5 (0 gain/loss)
    Marianne 159 (-2lbs)

I guess i should keep up the good work ehh? for those who havent lost any weight just keep up the motivation and watch what your eating, calories in is calories out. just push yourself harder this week i believe everyone can do it with the motivation everyone has here.

91531.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at least 5 days a week - minimum of 45 minutes daily (HR at 75%-80% capacity)
    I have a personal trainer once a week and we do cardio/strength and core circuits for an hour
    1 do deep water fitness once a week for an hour

I don't really focus too much on strength because my doctor recently told me that I may be focusing too much on core and strength and I could very well have a six pack under my spare tire, but will never see it unless I increase my cardio. So, I'm very cardio-centric right now!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at least 5 days a week - minimum of 45 minutes daily (HR at 75%-80% capacity)
    I have a personal trainer once a week and we do cardio/strength and core circuits for an hour
    1 do deep water fitness once a week for an hour

I don't really focus too much on strength because my doctor recently told me that I may be focusing too much on core and strength and I could very well have a six pack under my spare tire, but will never see it unless I increase my cardio. So, I'm very cardio-centric right now!

Same here. I think my abs aren't too bad, but I have this extra fat that's stuck around after having my babies. I did some circuit training and it helps my arms, shoulders, back, even my legs, but I can't see my belly to know what it did. So, on with the cardio.

I did my elliptical last night for 45 mins, 300 calories. I was impressed that I was less winded than I had previously gotten. I think I'll set it for an hour tonight and make it as far as I can. It helps that I am catching up on reading all these magazines I have while doing it. Takes my mind off the actual exercising. Time really flies!

I will add back in the 30 day shred, which is good enough strength training for me, after I lose a few more pounds. I will continue with the elliptical, but maybe do the shred 3 days a week, + half hour elliptical and an hour on the elliptical the other days. We'll see how it works out when I get there.
  • Arienna
    Options
    Anu - here is your link to your spreadsheet.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvSCOx9Fd1U8dFJZSmFYNDBneGZ2ajBKTm1mZHFSUGc&hl=en

Jessica- I told you it was every 30 days but I put the days in wrong! It's just once a month, same day every month. If you want me to change it I can.

Making dinner, will check back later!
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thank you so much Courtney...I just realized I could have done that on my own (im an excel Wizard...hmm or maybe not) I just figured you were keeping the team's measurements (to hold us sowewhat accountable). Im sorry I guess I was a little confused.

Does anyone else feel as though they have been advertising this website..lol...I have told all my friends about it?

Also I feel this group really helps me stay accountable...such as you guys will make me weigh in on Monday and make me log in my food/exercise....not that im being forced but that I will be given a slap on the hand if I dont...lol...but I enjoy that....

So much has changed in the past two years but I have a closet of very nice and sexy clothes that need to be worn....only 10-15 lbs until I fit into them...cant wait
  • Arienna
    Options
    Oh I was going to but I couldn't figure out a way! I haven't used excel in YEARS lol.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Oh I was going to but I couldn't figure out a way! I haven't used excel in YEARS lol.

I think you may be able to by reversing how you have it (rows instead of columns) If I get time I'll take a look at it!
  • Arienna
    Options

I think you may be able to by reversing how you have it (rows instead of columns) If I get time I'll take a look at it!

Oh, I think you're right! I will try and take a look at it too but I am in my last week of my first classes of college this week and I have a final project due in each class, so not sure how much time I'll have just yet.

Also, in case any of you wanted to join in, I'm going to be doing 30 day shred and the conservative couch to 5k, alternating days starting tomorrow with the shred. I am going to do another kind of cardio as well, 5 days a week at least, but want to give the training to run thing a whirl! I'm also going to be adding a daily yoga routine into the mix to try and gain some flexibility.

I think overall my day was good aside from not getting any sleep last night :noway:

Hope you all have a wonderful night!!! :flowerforyou:

Oh also Becca, thanks sooo much for your post earlier! I try to think that way as well but it is hard, it's so easy to get discouraged and feel self conscious.
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    I love power Yoga....its awesome...what is 30 Day Shread?? Im sure i can google it...think i will do that now...

Today I did a body Works class (250-300 Cal)...38 mins Elliptical (400 cals) and power yoga (300 cals)....and right now im eating a protein bar because I need it and also because I have to get up in the morning for Step Sculpt Class.....

Goodnight Everyone!!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Looks like the end of our first week...Happy Monday all...I will weigh in in Tuesday morning and give measurements as I worked Sunday evening until midnight and had to be back at six in the morning...I will probably need the link again for that as there have been so many postings

Thanks,

Kim
  • charcharbec
    Options
    Good mooorning everyone.

I hope this finds you all well this morning. Just popping in to say hello and see how you all are doing. I still havent gone to get that blasted tape, but I will. Really. :)

Have a cardio kickboxing class tonight with my friend and I am SO excited about it. I did cardio kickboxing when I was in college (they made us take two non-credit PE classes) and I loved it. I think it will be fun.

And today is one of my STRENTGH TRAINING days, and well... I always look foward to that. Secretly I love the burn the day and the day after that, that I feel from pushing my muscles. Well that and the fact that I can now flex my arms and a muslce pops out. Wooooo. Seriously. It's awesome.

What's funny too, is that I used to have SUCH a problem eating 1200 calories... and now, well lets just say it is NOT a problem.

What changes have you all seen so far. I know that this is the end of our first full week, but I know I have been working out pretty regularly for about 2.5 weeks. (And by that I mean 5 times a week and dieting at the same time). I know some others have been doing the same. So what changes are you noticing? Do you have more energy? Is your skin better? Are you seeing the inches drop? Are you seeing the pounds drop? Are you feeling the muscle? Seeing the muscle? Are people telling you, that you are looking better?

After even just the first week, someone who hadn't seen me in like a week or so, told me my skin looked SO much healthier and that they had never really seen me glow before. Coming from a girl who texts me every day and says, "butt cheeks" or makes crass comments for fun. So what are you noticing about yourselves? Are YOU feeling better? What keeps you from being discouraged?

My friend says that on the biggest loser week two is always the crap week for EVERYONE, that their body is finally adjusting and the weight is REALLY starting to come off. WHat about for you?