Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options

Replies

• cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially parents with overweight children. I'm not usually judgemental, but sometimes I just want to pull the the frozen pizzas, pop, chips and Little Debbies out of their cart and drag them over to the fresh produce aisle....while asking them if they know what they're doing to their children.

Its sad but true. Normally I just see people with carts of bad stuff and dont think anything negative about them, it just makes me think about how far Ive come... But when I see their overweight children it really bothers me.

There was one time, in a movie theatre, I saw a boy, probably about 12 years old who was EASILY 350lbs and he was clearly miserable, completely miserable. He was having trouble walking and his mother who was large as well (probably about my size, 250) walks up with, armfuls of junk... I was actually angry that time.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    All the time! I do in pretty much any check out line -- discreetly (I hope) eyeball what they are buying. I don't judge though, I'm just a curious and nosy person. :)
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    absolutely :)
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All the time now! It doesn't make me judge them though... it simply makes me proud of the healthy choices I have made!

Awesome way to look at it!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I do. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I know when I'm either a lazy shopper or a hungry one, my cart is below my standards. When I see nothing but flats of soda, chips, sugary cereals and processed pre-made food, it kind of makes me sad.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I often wonder what the cashiers think when they see me getting a big basketload of healthy produce, lean meats, and whole grains, and then a big bag of doritos or lays chips (my mother asks me to pick those up for her whenever i go to the store). "One of these things just doesn't belong..."
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just wonder what people think of me... Used to be all junk food, but now it is 1 or 2 fresh veggies, tons of frozen veggies, fat free dairy, and frozen fruit.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Love the direction this thread took. Started off Fun, then became this negative thread of judgement, then someone stood up and made a stand, others followed that movement. Its why I love this site. Its positive. Yeah, there is some cruel things said here and there, but I can't expect perfection in a community as big as this.

I don't look at other peoples carts. I have too many social anxieties, lol. My mind immediately says "Don't look into their cart, they may see you, and then it may be awkward" and I hate awkward situations. I usually am a space cadet shopping. I'm just a podestrian (the people you see wearing headphones at the shopping mall/grocery store..etc..etc), listening to music or comedy while looking at the ground 3 feet ahead of me.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...it is like I have become hyper sensitive to over weight people and what they are eatting ( FYI I am still overweight) and I think the same thing...do they understand what they are doing to themselves and I am so glad that isnt me anymore.
    ALWAYS! Especially when I see a VERY overweight person, walking around with a cart full of junk. I love knowing thats not me anymore! I also love walking around seeing a fit person with nothing but produce in their cart. :)
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, and especially at the checkout counter, sometimes it gives me ideas on new things to try, I think its interesting to see what you can tell about a stranger by what they eat.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I see someone with my ideal body, I always peek in their basket but am usually disappointed because they have more junk then I do. I hate it when others can eat junk and stay looking great with a high metabolism and I have to work very hard to get a some what average but still not my ideal body. Makes me crazy.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    NOPE!!!! I am too busy making sure I get everything on my list to worry or care what other people buy. Shopping for a big family is big job and very time consuming.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I will never look at a grocery cart the same way again. I know they are covered with germs, but after I watched a child give the handle a tongue bath for several minutes the other day....I'll be bringing sanitizing wipes with me if the store doesn't supply them. GROSS!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do. I think it's interesting sometimes.

I often wonder if people look into my cart and determine I'm a sad single lady with no husband or children because my cart will have like 3 bananas, one each of an apple, avocado, bell pepper and onion, some quinoa and a couple cans of black beans. Hahhaha :laugh:

edit to add: I am a single lady with no husband or children but I'm not Sad :)
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Nope, I hate grocery stores, not because I have a problem with food, but because I have a problem with people. So, I try to get in and get out as quickly as possible.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I dont judge them either because I used to be there, but it still makes me proud of what I am doing.
    All the time now! It doesn't make me judge them though... it simply makes me proud of the healthy choices I have made!

Awesome way to look at it!
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    I look all the time, just out of curiosity. But hey, people can check mine out and hopefully see all other options they have. My kids hate shopping with me now, because I read every label and put things back, grumbling about how much sugar is in this or that.
  • IIJessichuII
    Options
    I get to do this all the time at work. I'm a cashier. I think it's so interesting to see and it makes me feel disciplined about what I buy.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I don't do that but now I'm wondering what others think of me. haha :laugh: I'll pay more attention. Sounds entertaining. Awareness exercises are always a good thing.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of the lady infront of me in line the other night... she was only buying three items: a box of frozen White Castle burgers, a bottle of wine and a box of cupcakes.

She must have had a rough day.
This discussion has been closed.