Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i became curious as i became curios to what i eat
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Nope. I was a cashier at a grocery store for years and that was enough for me. It always seems like everybody buys just about the same things anyways.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i've always been suspicious of people doing that to me. (but i deal with anxiety and disordered eating habits so i'm a little extra self-concious compared to other folks.)

that being said, i'm totally guilty of doing it, too! it's interesting to see what people buy.. it breaks my heart to see young girls with "diet foods" (all the weird processed crap, not just fruits and veggies).. then i see more volumptuous people filling their carts with fresh produce and healthy dairy/grain choices and i can't help but think "way to go!" to them (especially if i find myself filling my own basket with a couple packages of calorie-rich junk food, lol).
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pick up random items off shelves and put them in other people's grocery carts and then try to walk away with their cart.

That is awesome. My son does that to me... "wait a minute!! I don't remember putting water ballons in my cart."
    I'm 36 going on 7.

How did you know he was 7? Are you in his class?
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    OMG, that was hilarious!!!!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    When I look in another cart, I'm not judging the other person -- but instead reflecting on how glad I am that I've made the changes I have. If that impacts someone in a negative way, that's not really on me .... It's because something is going on in their own head which honestly would be happening even if I didn't take a little peek in their cart.

Two of my best friends have battled and continue to struggle with annorexia. I know how hard it is and how difficult shopping is for them, but regardless of what I do -- that's still a difficult situation for a person with an ED.

THUS -- I will continue to peek and creep and reflect at the grocery store!

ETA: I think people are overly sensitive about this issue as a whole. People judge everywhere, like it or not, and definitely not just in the grocery store.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    usually i follow them home and look thru the windows...that way i can see groceries AND shower time! WIN/WIN

I like this idea. I invite you to my shower-window, where I often drink a glass of wine in the shower. Other times, like my post-workout shower, it's boring: water in the shower.

I feel like my grocery cart really isn't that interesting, but watching my shopping habits probably is. I plot my path through the store so I don't have to double back, then I rethink my selections and return stuff, and deliberate over mundane things.
    Usual cart items are tomatoes, avocados, green onions, mushrooms, cheese sticks, crackers, eggs, frozen veggie mixes, fish, fruit bars, and ice cream sandwiches. That takes me in order around the perimeter of the store.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think it is sad that you all have the time to judge people. If you were looking for ideas, or to see you forgot items I can understand as sometimes when things are on the belt it will remind me I too need something. But to think that people actually JUDGE people ... based too on that persons dimensions ... sad. Very sad!

My family eats really well, but I am large. So when I have a party or something, and I go the shops to get chips and soft drink and what not for my guests, are you saying that because you see that stuff in my cart you assume I am a bad mum (if I am with my kids, or am this size because I eat like that)? COME ON. This is rubbish.

Seriously guys, if you took the same amount of time to try and know or love someone as you spend judging them the world will be a much better place ..........
  • LovinLife68
    Options
    I think everyone is at least somewhat aware of what other people are buying. It's not like we're spying on them, but when you're in line at the cashier, it's almost impossible not to notice. That doesn't mean I judge though...

I agree. I am not concerned with what others buy. Like I had stated in my comment that I only noticed the woman in front of me because she was heavy like I am and had a cart full of fresh produce. Here in my community, most of the folks look pretty fit, but not all eat what some would consider a healthy diet. I reside in PA Dutch Country.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I live in vacationland and if i choose to shop on a thur / fri it is with people buying chips and hotdogs. Mountains and mountains of naughty groceries. When I first moved to the area I was all " what the heck is going on here?"
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Where about near Lancaster are you? I live in Western Montgomery County! Might be nice to team up and go to like French Creek for hiking and whatnot!

Pretty much anywhere as long as we are avoiding Shady Maple!!
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I always look when I'm in line while the person in front of me is unloading their cart.

We still have a college student at home so the Arnold Palmer ice tea, frozen pizzas etc. are for him and they go on the checkout first.
    The healthiest foods (fruits, vegys, fish etc.) go on the checkout last, so the person who walks up behind me in line sees only the healthy food.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to do this before I got married. But it was really just at the cashier and i'd only check to see what men were buying, then i'd decide if they were single or not. lol I still do it now at the cashier but only because its right in front of me and hard not to see.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    the amount of judgmental people on this thread is abhorring! every single one of you should be ASHAMED of yourselves for judging a person based on what is in the stupid shopping cart!

You wont see me buying hardly any produce at the store- why? because its overpriced and low quality. I live in the country - I buy TONS of fresh fruits and veggies from a farmer down the road. usually picked that day!

Some of you make me sick.... Live your own life and stop worrying about what other people are or are not doing! in other words GROW THE F*** UP!

Hmm.. seems you've judged the judgers. Wow. You're so much better than me.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This is someone with an eating disorder's worst nightmare. The people on this post that are making judgemental comments about what are in other people's carts, are what cause a lot of ED patients to have panic attacks....

This makes me sick... seriously.

Im very sorry that I have to change who I am, be someone else, live my life differently, stop being proud of my change from one kind of cart to another kind of cart, stop noticing the differences in groceries, stop paying attention to any relation between the energy of the person in front of me and the fact that their cart is 90% full of junk, stop feeling sad for those people, stop hoping someday their wakeup day will happen, hopefully soon, doing my best to make sure that if anyone looks in MY cart, and looks at ME - they will be inspired by the price tag and the beautiful foods and cease and desist all observations of the world around me

... all so no around me accidentally develops an eating disorder.

That is NOT fair.

Every individual is responsible for their own perception of the world. Not that its their fault... but it IS their responsibiliy as an adult.

I dont have an eating disorder.
    I dont run around judging fat people's carts.
    I dont say anything cruel or give them stink eyes.

I fill my cart up with healthy food and then I see someone else around me and am reminded of what I was like 90 pounds ago- not that my cart was full of junk food, but it was full of foods that werent giing me the rigt nutrition.

Im gonna get a lot of crap for this, so Im going to say and just take the heat. I dont care. People who suffer from eating disorders get very wrapped up inside their own heads, about how everything relates to them, people looking at them, judging them, looking at themselves, judging themselves....(whether thats the real sufferers of ED or just the ones that like to get attention for it on the interwebs- im not sure- I could be wrong here) but they need to realise that all these people in the grocery store, could care less about them, their carts, what they eat or if their thighs touch. Everyone has their own life going on and no one is preoccupied with that one person who may possibly be in the store with an eating disorder starting to develop. We're just not that into it. We arent thinking about YOU. (general ED you, not youyou.

I wasn't attacking you personally... I have a full blown eating disorder that I nearly died from and when I read this post, I actually got sick....this is a real valid thing... it happens to a lot more people than you're probably aware.

You have no idea what it is like to have ED and to read things like this and it just reaffirms everything counseling told you wasn't true. It is a LIFE THREATENING disease and the mental disorder with the highest death rate.

Stop being so damn selfish and grow the hell up. Stop judging others. Yes, change yourself to be a better person.

A better person is not defined by what foods they eat but by how they treat others regardless of circumstance or situation.

In this respect, I believe that one day you will realize the error of your ways and become a better person spiritually not just physically.

Im not being mean and I did not call you names or yell at you. I didnt say anyone was even better or worse. I didnt say I judge their lifestyle or their character. I simply said I look. And i TOLD you why I look. I said this is what I see. THis is my humble opinion. I did not say that EDs are not real, I even specified that I may just be basing this on the attention seeking fake ED users on the internet.

I said I look in their carts and see the person I used to be. There is simply no reason to get nasty and hate on healthy people just because they can see how far they've come and I hope someday you realise that hating on people who dont suffer froman ED is just as messed up as assuming that someone else is hating on you when they dont even care.

Telling me that when I glance in someone else's cart that Im going to give them a panic attack because im so judgemental and immature is a very selfish viewpoint. Wanting everyone to cater t those that dont have a normal perspective is irrational. You are responsible fr yourself, not me.

I cannot apologise for not building my actions around those that may possibly be offended because they have a preoccupation with themselves and what they eat.

I dont have a family, should I go jump into all the happy family threads and tear them apart for being so insensitive and judging the way they all deal with their parents interference or something? That they should STFU and be glad they have a family? Because some people are all messed up about not having one and all the issues that come with that?

We dont live on eggshells for strangers.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is someone with an eating disorder's worst nightmare. The people on this post that are making judgemental comments about what are in other people's carts, are what cause a lot of ED patients to have panic attacks....

This makes me sick... seriously.

Im very sorry that I have to change who I am, be someone else, live my life differently, stop being proud of my change from one kind of cart to another kind of cart, stop noticing the differences in groceries, stop paying attention to any relation between the energy of the person in front of me and the fact that their cart is 90% full of junk, stop feeling sad for those people, stop hoping someday their wakeup day will happen, hopefully soon, doing my best to make sure that if anyone looks in MY cart, and looks at ME - they will be inspired by the price tag and the beautiful foods and cease and desist all observations of the world around me

... all so no around me accidentally develops an eating disorder.

That is NOT fair.

Every individual is responsible for their own perception of the world. Not that its their fault... but it IS their responsibiliy as an adult.

I dont have an eating disorder.
    I dont run around judging fat people's carts.
    I dont say anything cruel or give them stink eyes.

I fill my cart up with healthy food and then I see someone else around me and am reminded of what I was like 90 pounds ago- not that my cart was full of junk food, but it was full of foods that werent giing me the rigt nutrition.

Im gonna get a lot of crap for this, so Im going to say and just take the heat. I dont care. People who suffer from eating disorders get very wrapped up inside their own heads, about how everything relates to them, people looking at them, judging them, looking at themselves, judging themselves....(whether thats the real sufferers of ED or just the ones that like to get attention for it on the interwebs- im not sure- I could be wrong here) but they need to realise that all these people in the grocery store, could care less about them, their carts, what they eat or if their thighs touch. Everyone has their own life going on and no one is preoccupied with that one person who may possibly be in the store with an eating disorder starting to develop. We're just not that into it. We arent thinking about YOU. (general ED you, not youyou.

I wasn't attacking you personally... I have a full blown eating disorder that I nearly died from and when I read this post, I actually got sick....this is a real valid thing... it happens to a lot more people than you're probably aware.

You have no idea what it is like to have ED and to read things like this and it just reaffirms everything counseling told you wasn't true. It is a LIFE THREATENING disease and the mental disorder with the highest death rate.

Stop being so damn selfish and grow the hell up. Stop judging others. Yes, change yourself to be a better person.

A better person is not defined by what foods they eat but by how they treat others regardless of circumstance or situation.

In this respect, I believe that one day you will realize the error of your ways and become a better person spiritually not just physically.

You're an adult, if you know it will affect you this way, don't read the thread. It isn't anyone elses job to keep you feeling great, that is your responsibility alone. You are on a diet site, for God's sake, you MUST realize you are going to be seeing a lot of things that might upset you. Grow up.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I always look when I'm in line while the person in front of me is unloading their cart.

We still have a college student at home so the Arnold Palmer ice tea, frozen pizzas etc. are for him and they go on the checkout first.
    The healthiest foods (fruits, vegys, fish etc.) go on the checkout last, so the person who walks up behind me in line sees only the healthy food.

haha well played!
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sure do! And I get mad when I see parent's cart filled with pizza rolls, tv dinners, and everything else boxed and processed.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do peek, but then I realize its none of my business. SO I just look at other things that I could buy, oh wait I might look into their cart again to see if I missed something that I needed to buy. lol
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    usually i follow them home and look thru the windows...that way i can see groceries AND shower time! WIN/WIN

I like this idea. I invite you to my shower-window, where I often drink a glass of wine in the shower. Other times, like my post-workout shower, it's boring: water in the shower.

the fun is lost if you know i'm there, so i will not be announcing my arrival.
    and for the record, there is nothing boring about a post workout shower. all that heavy breathing and stretching...

whew!
This discussion has been closed.