interesting Points regarding Diet Pop from my trainer

Options

Replies

• louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    I will believe as soon as the warnings can be backed up by clinical studies from trusted medical sources. For all I see these warnings posted about one every three days, I've yet to see any of the 'information' substantiated.

Do fat people drink diet soda? Sure. But odds are good that they are not fat because of it. More likely they are fat because of poor eating habits and simply took up diet soda to appease their conscience when they're 'trying' to lose weight.

^This. Seriously, if you're going to make claims like these, I'm going to need peer-reviewed sources, not just anecdata and scare-mongering.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    just because someone is a personal trainer does not mean you should take their advice. I know a trainer who is type 1 diabetic, bodybuilds does steroids and is now dying from heart complications caused by poor management of the diabetes and the use of steroids. Not someone I would look to to tell me how to live.

I wouldnt take advice from the personal trainer you are talking about either - but some do more more then others and know more then the average person also.

I don't drink diet pop but once in awhile - maybe once a month i will have a reg gingerale or some coke in my rum.

No one is telling anyone to stop drinking pop or stop using artificial sweeteners - this is just someones opinions whether you want to agree or not is totally upto you - no one is telling you yes this is the true facts and to stop drinking pop now - the choice is yours and yours only.

So funny how there are always the ones who have to disagree on everything!

You're right--whether or not someone wants to disagree is absolutely up to the individual. Not anyone else. And that disagreement can and should be openly expressed if so desired, if done without rancor or inflammatory language. Preferably without resulting in a label of "disagreeable."

<insert big smile>

Kris

I like you.
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    From peer reviewed scientific journal for anyone that can read with comprehension.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184

Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide used as a synthetic nonnutritive sweetener in over 90 countries worldwide in over 6000 products. The purpose of this investigation was to review the scientific literature on the absorption and metabolism, the current consumption levels worldwide, the toxicology, and recent epidemiological studies on aspartame. Current use levels of aspartame, even by high users in special subgroups, remains well below the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Food Safety Authority established acceptable daily intake levels of 50 and 40 mg/kg bw/day, respectively. Consumption of large doses of aspartame in a single bolus dose will have an effect on some biochemical parameters, including plasma amino acid levels and brain neurotransmitter levels. The rise in plasma levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid following administration of aspartame at doses less than or equal to 50 mg/kg bw do not exceed those observed postprandially. Acute, subacute and chronic toxicity studies with aspartame, and its decomposition products, conducted in mice, rats, hamsters and dogs have consistently found no adverse effect of aspartame with doses up to at least 4000 mg/kg bw/day. Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I refuse to drink diet drinks mainly because I have believed for years that the artificial sweeteners were linked to cancer. Now, it doesn't matter whether they do or don't, I think they just taste awful. I also check labels for them and try to avoid products that include them. I've switched to using honey & stevia for most of my sweetening needs. For the most part I stick to just drinking plain ole water anyways.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Stevia is definitely natural. It wasn't made in a lab either

/sarcasm
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    Options
    I drink ONE can of diet pop at lunch every day. No more than that. I'm still losing weight. So I won't stress about it. :wink:
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    Options
    After reading this, the choice is yours.

That was the most informative and rational thing he put in the email - :laugh:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

/sarcasm

My nutritionist told me I could buy the plant and use the leaves in my food. Don't need a lab for that. Sure, the extract you get at the store is processed but it isn't "made" in a lab. The sweetest part of the plant is just extracted using various methods to make it easier on the consumer.
    Rebaudioside A has the least bitterness of all the steviol glycosides in the stevia plant. To produce rebaudioside A commercially, stevia plants are dried and subjected to a water extraction process. This crude extract contains about 50% rebaudioside A; its various glycoside molecules are separated via crystallization techniques, typically using ethanol or methanol as solvent. This allows the manufacturer to isolate pure rebaudioside A.[41]
    The National Research Council of Canada has patented a process for extracting sweet compounds from stevia by column extraction at temperatures from 0–25 °C, followed by purification by nanofiltration. A microfiltration pretreatment step is used to clarify the extract. Purification is by ultrafiltration followed by nanofiltration

Then go read about how aspartame is actually made in a lab and tell me there isn't a difference. Or read the definition:
    Aspartame is an artificial, non-saccharide sweetener

compared to:
    (Stevia)... is attractive as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

Edit: missed a backslash
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    It's not healthy for you and obviously water is a better choice but it is not going to prevent you from losing weight. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out and diet soda= zero calories. And I know from experience (I have lost weight many times drinking ALOT of diet soda). I actually find it to be helpful when dieting. If I feel like snacking I just grab a diet soda and it satisfies me. I hope to quit one day because it is not healthy but right now my priority is weight loss and I see no reason to cut it out for that reason. I didn't get fat from too much diet soda, I got fat from shoving tons of cookies, dunkin sticks, krispy kremes, ice cream down my mouth.
  • jwshmoe75
    Options
    It's not healthy for you and obviously water is a better choice but it is not going to prevent you from losing weight. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out and diet soda= zero calories. And I know from experience (I have lost weight many times drinking ALOT of diet soda). I actually find it to be helpful when dieting. If I feel like snacking I just grab a diet soda and it satisfies me. I hope to quit one day because it is not healthy but right now my priority is weight loss and I see no reason to cut it out for that reason. I didn't get fat from too much diet soda, I got fat from shoving tons of cookies, dunkin sticks, krispy kremes, ice cream down my mouth.
  • jwshmoe75
    Options
    Totally Agree!!!!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

/sarcasm

My nutritionist told me I could buy the plant and use the leaves in my food. Don't need a lab for that. Sure, the extract you get at the store is processed but it isn't "made" in a lab. The sweetest part of the plant is just extracted using various methods to make it easier on the consumer.
    Rebaudioside A has the least bitterness of all the steviol glycosides in the stevia plant. To produce rebaudioside A commercially, stevia plants are dried and subjected to a water extraction process. This crude extract contains about 50% rebaudioside A; its various glycoside molecules are separated via crystallization techniques, typically using ethanol or methanol as solvent. This allows the manufacturer to isolate pure rebaudioside A.[41]
    The National Research Council of Canada has patented a process for extracting sweet compounds from stevia by column extraction at temperatures from 0–25 °C, followed by purification by nanofiltration. A microfiltration pretreatment step is used to clarify the extract. Purification is by ultrafiltration followed by nanofiltration

Then go read about how aspartame is actually made in a lab and tell me there isn't a difference. Or read the definition:
    Aspartame is an artificial, non-saccharide sweetener

compared to:
    (Stevia)... is attractive as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

Edit: missed a backslash

Why do you think this matters?

"The take-home message is this: don’t assume that natural ingredients are inherently better than artificial ingredients in regards to health. Rather than worrying about whether an ingredient is natural or artificial, you should worry about its safety record and whether it’s been thoroughly tested. The line between what is artificial and what is natural is more like a fuzzy haze than a line anyway."

http://weightology.net/thehealthsleuth/?p=139
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Why do you think this matters?

"The take-home message is this: don’t assume that natural ingredients are inherently better than artificial ingredients in regards to health. Rather than worrying about whether an ingredient is natural or artificial, you should worry about its safety record and whether it’s been thoroughly tested. The line between what is artificial and what is natural is more like a fuzzy haze than a line anyway."

http://weightology.net/thehealthsleuth/?p=139

And for the record, as I interject with a side comment not relevant to the thread: The above website is awesome. James Krieger does great work and users should read the free articles on his site and soak up the info.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    For later...to show my mom and sister
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    Options
    I drink it a lot, I'm not fat. Something went wrong here.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This article is this guys opinion, none of it is fact. I would like to see real, scientific journal articles from a real medical journal. Many 'trainers' call themselves nutritionists, when they are not, in fact nutritionists or dietitians. I know plenty of people who drink diet drinks who are not overweight or obese. Excess calories and sedentary lifestyle cause weight gain. Diet drinks have ZERO calories, therefore, will not cause weight gain. Now, what if those who are drinking diet colas rationalize by saying "i saved 300 kcal by drinking diet instead of regular, I deserve the Big Mac and fries"? Is it the diet cola that caused weight gain? Or the Big Mac and fries? Am I saying diet cola is good for you? Absolutely not. Especially when it replaces healthier options like water and milk. Does it cause weight gain. Absolutely not. Be smart. Moderation is key.

100% true. I'm finding that a lot of these supposed "informational" posts on here are just one person's biased opinion. Such as the original post in this thread. Show me some strong evidence like a randomized controlled trial or a systematic review or the like and then maybe I'll shift my thinking. Until then, I'm going to continue to go by your quote.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'd certainly like to see the science behind this fear mongering.

You won't because there isn't any.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This could be true for ALL processed foods, not just diet soda. Again, it comes down to moderation. Food and soda is not what MAKES you fat. YOU make you fat.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I will believe as soon as the warnings can be backed up by clinical studies from trusted medical sources. For all I see these warnings posted about one every three days, I've yet to see any of the 'information' substantiated.

Do fat people drink diet soda? Sure. But odds are good that they are not fat because of it. More likely they are fat because of poor eating habits and simply took up diet soda to appease their conscience when they're 'trying' to lose weight.

Perfect response
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    I always say, don’t drink or eat anything that says “Diet” on it, it will make you fat. Ever see a skinny person drinking diet pop? I rest my case. :smile:

I drink diet pop everyday alone with my 64 oz of water...