When should I be proud of my weight loss?

Options
Today was a good day and a not so good day all in one. I went shopping and to my surprise I have dropped a size. YAY lol so I came home and had to call my friends to tell them how proud of myself I was. Well then I went out to my brothers and all that pride was swept away with one comment my cousin made. I took my hoody off to show my sister in law my new tank top and he said put that back on I can't look at that! And him, my bother and his friend laughed. I felt so little and embarrassed and I feel like I now have nothing to be proud of. Will I always feel this way? Do I have to wait till I am as skinny a the other girls in my family before they stop calling me down?

Replies

• majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if your cousin is an immature jerk. You should be proud of ANY progress you've made and the hard work that you've put into getting there. I'm sorry you were made to feel bad, and I hope you know you can come here any time to get positive reinforcement and support. ((hugs))
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    A question for you: Why are you letting other people dictate when you can be proud?
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of losing a size, no matter what your cousin said. Losing weight is hard and every inch, every ounce even counts. Be proud of yourself and forget the rest.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Honey, I'm proud as hell over the 8 lbs I've lost. I don't care if anyone else is. I'm working to improve my health and self esteem, so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I celebrate every ounce that comes off!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    You should be proud of absolutely any progress you make. An inch, a pound, a dropped size. Anything. Don't ever let someone take that happiness away from you.
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    i have family like that, and they don't say it to be hurtful, they just say things like that because it's their sense of humor. i went down 2 pant sizes and i'm ECSTATIC. my brother still makes fat jokes (even though i am sexy as hell) because that's always been our family dynamic i guess. be proud when you feel proud, and let other people know how awesome you are, and they can either cheer you on, or sit in the stands with a big gulp and a giant tub of nachos and watch you go. (which sounds kind of amazing right now, the nachos that is.)
  • gainingalife
    gainingalife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    your cousin sounds like an *kitten*, you should be incredibly proud of the progress you've made and the motivation which you obviously possess to have even started on your weight loss journey. congratulations! :)
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Every day.
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you! and I don't even know you!
  • bmgnedra
    bmgnedra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One time when I was younger and had lost some weight, about 15 lbs, I was glad for it, but really I had so much to lose it seemed like barely a dent. My aunt told me to go to the grocery store and look at 15 lbs of hamburger. And we know fat has more volume so maybe that would even be better to look at... but anyway... 18 lbs is a lot. 1 lb is a lot. Until this go around it had been years since I had gotten on a scale and seen the numbers go down. You should totally be proud of yourself. Right now. And avoid people who don't support you or who want to tear you down.

Best of luck and blessings on your journey to better health!
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    You can be proud now! Right now. You are making a change and you are continuing on a healthier lifestyle. You are being healthy and you are making excellent progress. That is something to be proud of!
  • Javibi
    Javibi Posts: 2
    Options
    Weight loss or no weight loss always be proud of who you are god made you ! sorround your self with possitive people and possitive things will begin to happen
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    You have CHOSEN to start this journey to lose weight and become healthier, and that alone is something to be proud of. Celebrate every step of the way. There are people in life that will try to bring you down, it's just in their nature, the trick is to not care about what they think.

Remember this, every time someone makes a mean comment, that they are doing so because they are most likely unhappy with their own lives. Happy people spread happiness and positivity, bitter, ignorant people make cruel comments and try to bring others down.

So next time someone says something mean, just think to yourself, 'I don't care what you think of me, because I aspire to be happy, not bitter and cruel'

Congratulation on your acheivements so far, your doing amazing, keep it up!
  • Raeca89
    Raeca89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Everyone is SO right! YOU should be the ultimate voice when it comes to your weight loss journey. I know that it can be hard when people around you are not supportive. You have lost a great amount of weight and more importantly than that, your head is in the right place. You're in it for the health. You have lost nearly down over 7% from where you were before! Look in the mirror. YOU should see your progress and notice subtle differences. If you, as the person who sees yourself everyday is noticing a difference, you can just bet that others are seeing that change too, even if they don't tell you that they see it.
    If I were in your shoes, I would really pull some of those commentators aside and express to them how important it is to you that if they can't be happy for you, at least don't criticize you because it hurts. They should respect you enough to be more aware of what they say in the future. Also, if you're looking for that social support, trying distancing yourself from people who don't get what you're going through and get closer to those who DO understand, either because they're going through it now or have gone through it in the past.
    All in all, you have made AMAZING progress and every pound you lose is a clear visual reinforcement of how hard you've worked. 18 pounds is GREAT and keep it up! :D
  • angelmeanttofly
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and kind words. I guess I do just need to grow a back bone and learn to laugh things off. I should remember how I felt this morning and start caring what I think of myself and not what other people think. I'm not going to let the haha they had be an excuse to go back to old behavior, it took a lot of self control and motivation from mfp friends to get just this far and I am going to keep going for me. Hope you all have a great day.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I agree, be proud now.

Be proud that you want to change yourself and that you are committed to doing it.

Be proud that you are not an insensitive jerk. :)
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Your cousin sounds like a stupid insensitive jerk - imagine his face next time at the gym and work even harder!!!!
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Today was a good day and a not so good day all in one. I went shopping and to my surprise I have dropped a size. YAY lol so I came home and had to call my friends to tell them how proud of myself I was. Well then I went out to my brothers and all that pride was swept away with one comment my cousin made. I took my hoody off to show my sister in law my new tank top and he said put that back on I can't look at that! And him, my bother and his friend laughed. I felt so little and embarrassed and I feel like I now have nothing to be proud of. Will I always feel this way? Do I have to wait till I am as skinny a the other girls in my family before they stop calling me down?
    I would have retorted something along the lines of "Well, at least I can lose weight, unlike you who cannot lose your sour attitude"

Why are people such jerks?

Good job on getting down a size!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You should be proud at your first pound! It is the start of a journey. Ignore other people and be happy for you that not only that you have lost but that you have taken the steps to change your lifestyle. Good for you, you are doing brilliantly so far and congrats on the lower dress size!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Be proud of every single .1lb. **** them.