How to cook chicken breast so it doesn't dry out

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
Are there any tricks to making chicken breasts that don't dry out? I want to try snacking on them, but when we cook them, they get so dry that I can't swallow them.

I was going to try crock pot, but I was concerned about them sitting in their own juices - will that make the fat content higher?

TIA!

Replies

• jesscod
    jesscod Posts: 98
    Options
    I do boneless skinless in a crock pot with a little bit of water, they turn out nice and juicy. another thing i do is marinate them
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You don't over cook it. Or if you've already over cooked it then you'll have to cook it until it falls apart and dress it with some kind of sauce.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Over cooking or too high heat will make them dry out. Marinate them the night before and cook them in the marinate juices. This works for me and I can't cook well but I'm learning.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I usually put a little water in my pan and cover it when I am cooking in a skillet. It keeps the moisture without drying out.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Line a deep (maybe a couple inches deep) baking pan with foil, toss in some chicken breasts and pour light italian dressing over them. Cover with foil, bake 20-30 mins on 450 or until there's no pink in the middle.

Ta-DA!

Perfectly juicy, falvorful chicken that you can put in a salad or snack on it by itself. Not too many added cals or anything if you get the right dressing. It's lovely! oh, and cheap!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    For me...I use the crockpot and just make sure the water covers it...I may add some bouillon cubes or a little spice to flavor it but cook it on low most of the time...It takes longer but it is SO JUICY!! I just take it out of the crockpot and eat it as is...YUMMY!! To me anything in the crockpot tastes great...You can't go wrong with it!! :)
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The trick is all about marinating. Put your chicken breast in a baggy with some fresh squeezed lemon and garlic or whatnot for four hours. There several different ways to marinate, but this is one of my favorites, also you can leave it overnight if you lose interest in cooking it later in the day. I use the Foreman grill, six minutes turning once.
  • Linzybelle
    Linzybelle Posts: 11
    Options
    Not to endorse anything, but...get a Deep Dish Baker from Pampered Chef. You just put 3-4 breasts in, no water or anything else. Season to your liking and then microwave for 15 min. Super easy and very moist and tender. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. I bought one and it is about the only way I will cook them now.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    LOL. I agree with Linzybelle, and not just because my wife is a Pampered Chef consultant. Deep Covered Baker is hands down the best way to cook chicken, or just about anything for that matter. They also have quite an array of healthy recipes.
  • matthew67899
    matthew67899 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nu-wave oven! No joke, it does pretty well with this problem. I grabbed one a year ago at an after Christmas sale and was pleasantly surprised that it lives up to the infomercial hype.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You don't over cook it. Or if you've already over cooked it then you'll have to cook it until it falls apart and dress it with some kind of sauce.

Exactly. I would never crockpot white meat chicken because it will dry out, and if it isn't dry, it is only because the crock pot liquid is making up for the moisture that got pulled out from the chicken. Lean meat like that isn't meant for the low and slow cooking method. I find overcooked chicken to be disgusting, so I am very picky about it!.

When I cook chicken breast, I pound out the thicker end so the whole breast is even thickness, ensuring it will cook evenly. After that, it just takes time to learn the art of feel-testing chicken when it is done OR use a thermometer and pull that chicken off the heat the second it hits 165 degrees F.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you brush some mayo on them before grilling or baking(fat free of course) :tongue: It holds in the moisture. You dont even taste the mayo.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • nitrogirl332
    Options
    Ok simplest yet. Seer the chicken breasts in an oven safe skillet on both sides, then put directly into 400 deg oven for about 20 min. done deal perfect every time
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I find if i broil them in a pan on both sides until they are golden brown, I can finish them off in the oven in less time and the results are much juicier and flavorful.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    Ok simplest yet. Seer the chicken breasts in an oven safe skillet on both sides, then put directly into 400 deg oven for about 20 min. done deal perfect every time
    Jinx!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Pound it flat and place it in a plastic bag with a marinade of your choice. Fry or grill it. You can try squeezing some fresh lemon on it before serving.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not to endorse anything, but...get a Deep Dish Baker from Pampered Chef. You just put 3-4 breasts in, no water or anything else. Season to your liking and then microwave for 15 min. Super easy and very moist and tender. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. I bought one and it is about the only way I will cook them now.

I microwave mine too, just on a plain plate, or in a dish with a lid. They never seem dry. I can even microwave them straight from the freezer without thawing first. If they are really thick I usually slice them in half at some point in the cooking. I did some this weekend and I think it was microwaved for about 6-8 minutes. My microwave runs pretty hot so yours might take a little longer, although 15 minutes seems like a long time, but maybe it's not on high like mine.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    very easy and surprisingly good:

marinate the breasts in pickle juice (yes! don't throw out the pickle juice after you finish the pickles). Grill on a preheated medium grill for 5 minutes; flip; 5 more minutes; then cut in half to check doneness. continue checking at 2 min intervals until no longer pink; remove immediately.

Don't microwave them later for snacking bc they will overcook. Just eat it cold or room temp; maybe in a salad.

blessings.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    The best way for it not to dry out is to have it marinate in the fridge with whatever sauces you like. If you cook it straight out of the package it will def. dry out