Sad day.. Putting my dog to sleep

Options

Replies

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss! Putting down an animal is so difficult, I had 2 dogs growing up and both made it to 16 and it was just awful when they finally had to be put to sleep. If you can, you should go too, it is nice to be with them in their final moments. My condolences to you and your family.
  • Tsoper
    Tsoper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What an awesome pup! I'm glad that you took the time to share your story and I hope that it brings you a little peace. I'm sorry for your loss but happy for the time that you had together!
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am soooo sorry for your loss! I have a similar story, I had a chocolate lab mix for about 10 years, who was amazing with people, and my baby niece and nephew, unbelievably sweet and loving and so in tune with our family. We had to put her down Nov of 2011 because she could no longer walk and was just miserable. I have no idea if she was in pain, as she never let us know, but I can only imagine that she was and just didn't want to worry us. I think about her all of the time. She was truly my best friend and companion. Just remember, Kevlar knew he was loved. I am positive that he felt it radiate from you and your family every day of his life, and that is really all they need and want. After losing 3 dogs over the past year (including my Chocolate Lab, Nena) I read 'A dog's purpose' and it really helped me get through some very tough days.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Everybody:
    Both posts and comments are very welcomed and whole heartedly appreaciated.
    I did not let a single tear fall at home. I felt the need to stay strong for the family. I had to think very carefully before speaking for fear of my voice craking.
    Now that I am at work, alone, I have to keep drying my eyes.
    It is strange because I have always been a tough guy.
    I know I am doing the right thing and I am so grateful that Tiffany (Wife) is taking care of this.
    Several years ago she bought a Pomeramanium (sp?) puppy from a pet store (first and last time).
    The puppy ended up having some kind of a problem and I had to put her to sleep after two days.
    TWO DAYS!!!
    The vet asked me if he was allowed to put her to sleep and I physically could not say the word "yes". All I could do was nod my head. The vet put his hand on my arm and said "You have to say the word".
    I was finally able to croak out the word "yes".
    This was a dog that we only had for a few days.
    I really think that I would not be able to say those words with Kevlar.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Saw something yesterday that said something like this.....

Dogs ask us for a little of our spare time, a little of our spare space where we live, and a little of our spare food. In return they give us 100% of their undying and unconditional love. Pretty good deal.

I have been there. Had to put down my dog a couple days before my wedding. I had him from the time I was 8 til I was 24. He was a trooper. Then, just over a year ago I lost my beagle. I pet him when I left for work, got home and he had passed. Now my terrier mix is really getting up there. I know her time is coming. One thing though is I can take comfort in knowing I have given them the best life. My beagle and terrier would go to the lake, ride in the boat and have a great time. We even got them to lay on floats and float around in the water with us while we swam.

Many times when I was recovering from one of my numerous surgeries I could just sit on the couch and pet them and it would ease my pain. Do not feel bad for easing their pain.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Damn...
    Tiffany just texted me at 11:09.
    It's done.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you have to say good-bye to your buddy!! I have been through that several times and it is NEVER easy! My husband and I had our first dog "Pal" for 15yrs she was the most wonderful dog, if I could afford it I would have cloned her!! So sensitive to us and so sweet! It is so hard to say good bye to them. Us like you wondered if it was time, same thing hard for her to get around and go potty outside etc. Your story sounds so familiar, Pal would lay under our first sons crib when he was a baby too! Then when we moved to our second house she would lay under our second sons crib! You have to have pictures and memories you can cling to and keep him alive in your mind! He will always be a part of your family!!! I wish you and your wife and family good luck and strength in the days and weeks to come! Oh it is so hard to say good bye to out loving pets!! Ugh! I get tears just thinking about my Pal!!! It's been over 10yrs since we said good bye to her sweet face!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss! Kevlar sounds like he was the best of friends. ::::hugs:::: to you & your family.
  • FormulaDebbie
    Options
    I understand your pain - I had to put my puppy down a couple of years ago and it broke my heart. I have a male and female dog that had one puppy together. She came right before my husband died and was the light of my life and helped me get through the loss of my husband. She developed cancer and we did not notice until it was too late....my little "Bear" I came home one day to her bleeding through her nose and knew I had to let her go. Took her to the vet and sat on the floor with her until she went to sleep....my heart is with you and your family and it sounds like you have wonderful memories to fall back on.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. They sure do make a huge impact in our lives, don't they?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    You gave Kevlar a wonderful life! I am so sorry you and your family are going through this right now. Big hugs from us and our dogs to all of you. Kevlar has been one lucky, happy pup. :flowerforyou:
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    ((((HUGS)))))
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your doggy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know from experience that this is a very hard decision to make. My heart goes out to you. It will get better as time passes. Take care.
  • beachprayers
    Options
    I am sooo very sorry. Like others here, I have felt the pain of making that decision both with my dogs and a cat. It is never easy. Our family friend used to be the "babysitter" for our kids, even with a fenced yard. He was so protective of them and immediately barked when one would stray too close to the fence or door. The day we had to take him in, he seemed so happy, I hated knowing every moment was about to be his last, and really questioned whether to cancel the appt. I held his sweet face in my hands as the Dr gave the injection..I wanted him to see my face last and to hear me telling him I loved him. Even now I cry as I remember. But, I do know he is in a wonderful place, where he can roam without pain and I can't wait to see him again. Big ((hugs)) to you today. You will have so many treasured memories in your heart.
  • emivance
    emivance Posts: 3
    Options
    I am so sorry, my heart grieves to hear about this. What a wonderful dog, and what a wonderful person you are for having given him such a good life. After a full, long life with you and your family, he will get to die in his sleep with you at his side. No animal could ask for a better end. You are kind and merciful for having rescued him, and kind and merciful for helping end his suffering. You are everything a shelter dog could hope for.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about Kevlar. There's not a lot you can say about a situation like this when it comes around but for what it's worth, I am sorry and I'll be saying some extra prayers for you and ayour family.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    So very sorry for your loss. I had a mini schnauzer, Taz, from the time I was 3 until I was 18. He really was everything to our family. He had to be put to sleep after he got a tumor in his mouth and could no longer eat, it was terrible for the family and we just didn't have the heart to put him through surgery that wouldn't solve the problem. We got another mini after his passing and she really helped us manage our emotions. I still cry every time I think about Taz, but I know I could never live without another dog. We didn't replace him, just helped another dog in need who we love dearly too :)
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. We went through the same thing with our 15 year old cat. Thinking of you during this difficult time.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    I'm soo sorry.